Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2013 Multistrada Touring in the morning. 14k miles and due for a service. Owned manty bikes over the years, but have kept my trusty friend, a 2001 ST2 all the while.
My last three touring bikes were a 2013, 2015 and 2018 R1200RT. Great bikes, but the ST2 was always more fun, sounds great and super reliable.
The question is, have many of you come from the ST 2 or 4 ranks and what are your thoughts? Regrets or jubilation? If I bring the MS home, The ST2 will need to go for space reasons.

·
23 Posts
I moved from a '99 ST4 to a '17 1200s 3 years ago. Initially, I missed the raw power of the ST4, but I'm getting used to the "safety" aids of wheelie and transaction control. When I first picked up the bike, the hesitation with acceleration was killing me. The computer could not figure out how to not spin the wheel and/or lift the front end on quick starts. I have learned to dial it back mostly with the menu configuration, but keep a little computer control for "safety". The horsepower difference in the 2 is incredible.

I do put about 3X miles on the MTS versus the ST4. It is a comfortable bike and can easily go 400 to 500 miles per day. The ST4 (for me) was pushing it at 300 miles popping Motrin for the wrist pain.

No regrets now. Not sure if the '13 has the Skyhook suspension, but I really enjoy the adjustability of "on the fly" changes from Sport to Touring mode. I ride mostly in Sport except when logging miles. I tried Urban mode once, but it was like riding a scooter. Worked in the rain, but would not recommend it any other time.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I put 52, 000 miles on my '02 ST4s and 25,000 miles on my 98 ST2 before I purchased my first Multistrada in 2011. (BTW the st4s is available for sale, check the classifideds) The Multi is a much bigger, taller bike. The seat height was lowered starting in 2015 and is about the same as the ST. The weight is about the same but the Multi is harder to push around in driveway and takes up more room in the garage because of the wide bars. Those are the only negatives that I can think of. The multi is much more comfortable for long rides, smother (the DVT anyway), and less snatchy in slow traffic. The upright riding position allows you to see your surroundings much better. The Multi does not have the infernal attachment system (well nut hell) of the ST fairing to deal with when servicing the bike. Rear wheel removal and chain adjustment on the Multi is much easier than on the ST. I sort of miss the clatter of the dry clutch on the ST but the wet clutch on the Multi should last much longer. Lighting on the Multi is much better than the stock ST. Both bikes are equally warm in slow traffic on a hot day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Comfort is major in the decision making. Just did a week in the Rockies with 2 aboard the ST2. Looked forward parking the bike at the end of the day.
I’m 5’9 and 165. Hopefully the MS is not to tall. Couldn’t live with a tipsy bike.
Test riding it in a couple of hours.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I went from a 2000 ST4 to my MY 2013 MTS GT. I really loved the ST and miss it but the Multi is better in most ways and parts are available if you have an issue while traveling. @hubduc turn the power mode to high in settings and use "Urban Mode" as "Cadillac Mode" when the road gets rough or on the interstate. It is super cushy and smooth. :)

t_bare

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've a '99 ST2. I wanted a bit more comfort and a bit more tech (ABS, better suspension, and lights that work at night). My knees and wrists weren't supper happy on the ST after a couple hundred miles. Thought I'd get better wind protection with the MTS, but that didn't turn out to be the case.

As some have mentioned in other threads, with the ST, you feel like you're on top of the bike, while the MTS you fee more 'in' the bike. Definitely more upright, too.

My only complaint is (as expected), more complexities of the newer bike leads to more problems; rear brake, clutch going soft, fuel sensor errors. The MTS is far more difficult to work on, too. More to disassemble, harder to get to things since everything is packed in so tightly. That, and the MTS is definitely heavier and more unwieldy moving it around. Really wish it was about 30 pounds lighter!

I had planned to get rid of the ST2, but just can't do it. It's been dead reliable and is still a more visceral experience than the mostly-refined MTS.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have 60K miles on my ST2 and bought a Multi a few years back; it has over 40K miles on it now. I can tell you that most of my mileage goes to the Multi now. While they are not directly comparable, there is a more than acceptable sport capability to the Multi despite the higher sitting position. Different grin, but just as wide. Greater bar leverage helps, as do suspension and hp, etc, etc. The nod goes to the ST for brakes. And for touring, the Multi is far more comfortable, despite some windscreen buffeting. This is without comparing any tech or electronic improvements over 20 years. I, too, considered the RT before going with the Multi (the RT being much closer in comparison to the ST). But otherwise no personal experience with it to compare. [side note, Greg Tracy stuffed up the inside of me sliding sideways on a PP edition at Fontana a few years back before I bought mine - crazy what it can do in the right hands!]
I kept my ST2 for several reasons, but the Multi is superior and worth it in so many ways. Multi has been at least as reliable as ST, probably more, despite fuel sensor, gear position sensor and broken shift lever spring. VERY glad to own and ride the Multi. Will likely replace it with another Multi next time.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My wife calls them Little Duc and Big Duc. At 5'8" I can flat foot either. If you can swing a '15s or later the Skyhook suspension is superb. P1000420.JPG

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Completed the test ride this morning. The bike runs and handles great. It was in great condition, priced right and came home with me.
i need to schedule the 15 k service soon.
I’ll keep both for a little while. The Multi is strong, really long rear brake pedal travel, really quiet, but very smooth in all respects.
Thanks greatly for all of your replies.
Much appreciated,
Matt

·
Registered
496 Posts
Completed the test ride this morning. The bike runs and handles great. It was in great condition, priced right and came home with me.
i need to schedule the 15 k service soon.
I’ll keep both for a little while. The Multi is strong, really long rear brake pedal travel, really quiet, but very smooth in all respects.
Thanks greatly for all of your replies.
Much appreciated,
Matt
Couple things on the rear brake, before you start searching. After the inverted caliper "proper" bleed job, what worked for me the most was the Motul RBF600 and a bleeder banjo at the ABS pump under the seat. I got a bunch of air out of there, even after I thought I had a perfect bleed. It's been golden since.

Enjoy your new steed Matt!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Congrats on going with the Multi!
Yes, I lengthened the push rod shaft of the rear brake a little to engage it sooner. On the left side, you may find the center stand tang interferes with your boot heel - I like it much better after shortening it about 2". But lots of time now to tailor the ride to you. Have fun.

·
23 Posts
Very nice stable of vehicles. You might have the award for most horsepower under one roof:D

Reactions: Stick

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
That is a VERY nice garage. What is the red car on the lower level? Pantera?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pretty good eye, that is 71 Pantera.

On the original subject:
Found some room to keep the ST2 around for awhile. Had it sold to a friend. When it came time to part with it, couldn’t do it. Those old bikes are great fun tun to ride And sounds great.
Regarding to MS, bled brakes and clutch. Replaced air and fuel filters and rode it for a sort bit. I’m 5’9 and it is tall. Short seat on the way. Going into the dealer next week for belt change and valve check.
Handles very nice with two aboard. Does not seem as fast as I was expecting with bike in touring mode.
Have not ridden it in Sport mode.
It revs all the way up but it seems sluggish. Something might be off a bit.
it is quiet, I need to work on that when the dealer Is done and I know it is right.
Overall, with very little ride time, a very nice bike With an amazingly smooth ride.
No cruise control on this bike is a crime. Sometime, you would like to rest your right wrist.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Short seat on the way. ...
No cruise control on this bike is a crime. Sometime, you would like to rest your right wrist.
Congrats! This is the absolutely favorite bike I've ever owned. If you made be pick one to own for the rest of my life, the MTS would be it.

Look at a couple of things:
1 - Consider the Touratech seat. Or go to a local bike seat upholsterer (I usually find this a better choice, and cheaper).
2 - Tuneboy has a firmware flash that makes the red 'start' button act as cruise, and very slim add on buttons to decrease/increase speed.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Thanks guys. Comfort is major in the decision making. Just did a week in the Rockies with 2 aboard the ST2. Looked forward parking the bike at the end of the day.
I’m 5’9 and 165. Hopefully the MS is not to tall. Couldn’t live with a tipsy bike.
Test riding it in a couple of hours.
You'll be fine at 5'9"... I'm 5'10" and have the seat in the tall position.

When I saw the pic my first thought was "is that a Pantera... not seen one of those in years!". Very nice. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Multi is really nice. Power is great, handing and brakes to boot. I can see many hours on this bike. The BMW ’s are already a distant memory.
Thanks Strubes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts