Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know? I haven't pulled mine apart yet and I'd like to have parts first. Replacing my airbox with pods.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
really, you need some sort of trumpet inside the filter, otherwise performance wise you'll go backwards. get some rubber elbows from a sc/gt or hm 1000/1100 and fit some trumpets like the tpo or corse dynamics ones. you'll need much bigger id pods then.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There's a write-up out there somewhere about using the velocity stacks from the stock hyper airbox. I got one off ebay for $25 shipped and am waiting on K&N cone filters to arrive. I'll need to get some 80 degree bends to get the velocity stack/filter to fit under the tank properly, but once it's in there, it leaves plenty of room for battery, coils, and main harness relocation.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Throttle body inlet is 2" OD. Here's a quick write up of what I did, total cost was around $100

Airbox from any Hypermotard ($25 on ebay). Pull the plastic velocity stacks from the bottom and trim off the mounting collar. I just scored it with a utility knife and snapped it off. Clean up any remaining bits with utility knife.

2 K&N RC-9420 ($50 each from Advance Auto, but I used a 40% off $100 coupon) This model has a breather hole pre made and offset inlet. Actually ordered by mistake, but the offset inlet allows the filter to be rotated to easily get the best position.

2 Silcone elbows 90 degree 2" to 2.5" ($7.75 ea on Amazon). I got the 2" to 2.25" and they run just a bit small so I had to trim the end of the velocity stack in order to get the hose on. I would go with the larger diameter to save the trouble. I trimmed down a fair amount off of each hose to get the tightest possible fit. On the lower, I cut back to the start of the bend so it would tuck in a bit more. I fit and trimmed about three times and finally got it where I wanted.

4 stainless hose clamps. K&N comes with one each.

Picture shows them mounted before I trimmed another inch from the TB side of the right one and before I trimmed into the bend of the TB side of the left. Just have to run a breather hose to one of them and fab up a mount for battery and coils.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts