Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if other encounter the same when starting.

I have a 1998 ST2 20,000 miles.

Often, when I start the bike, I hit the starter button and there may be a second delay, where it sounds like it might not start at all and then it's all good. Seems consistent, like a brief buildup of power to get things going. Normal or not?

Still learning this bike. One month and 1,500 miles deep. Loving it...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Check your cables to the starter solenoid and the battery. They've probably got some corrosion or are a little loose. I had this happen a few times in cold weather until i tightened up the connections.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ine does the same - what is your butterfly setting aka 'choke' switch set at? All the way open gives it a little extra help. After a few seconds the rpms will start to climb, this is usually when I turn it down to 900-1400 idle, then wait for the oil temp to register before taking off.

·
Registered
209 Posts
new st2 owner here, mine had 4100 miles on it. aside from changing all the fluids and the belts i put the upgraded starter and ground cables on and moved the regulator. big improvemnet in cranking power when starting. i also noticed the heat transfer paste on the regulator was no longer a paste so i cleaned that up and applied new paste. before the change the battery light would come on and stay on for aorund 5 to 10 miles, now it operates normally. so i my case the changes were worth pursuing. i got the parts from desmotimes.

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
new st2 owner here, mine had 4100 miles on it. aside from changing all the fluids and the belts i put the upgraded starter and ground cables on and moved the regulator. big improvemnet in cranking power when starting. i also noticed the heat transfer paste on the regulator was no longer a paste so i cleaned that up and applied new paste. before the change the battery light would come on and stay on for aorund 5 to 10 miles, now it operates normally. so i my case the changes were worth pursuing. i got the parts from desmotimes.
+1
Mine turns over fine, upgraded cables, good ground, and a new battery.
1 year ago and still doing fine.

·
Registered
191 Posts
98 St2

I have a 98 ST2, 30.000 km, all stock, new battery and VR.
Not sure if this is what you mean.
I found it unusual, I press the starter switch, the starter reacts right up but it can't rotate the engine at first, it stops for a second, then rotates and starts.
Does it every time, except when the engine is hot.
I've seen a bunch of Ducatis doing so, specially Monsters/916 (even on Youtube).

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup, what you describe is dead on with how mine sounds. Only thing different is that when it's cold it doesn't delay. Seems to happen more when you are out riding, stop for gas. It has that .25 second delay that makes you think, shit', start baby... And it does. But I'm just 'recovering' from some electrical issues so anytime there is even a slight thought of something up, I'm sensitive. Even when the low light gauge lights up, at first I'm thinking 'now what'....

I've been looking at some you tube videos and there are a bunch of clips that all sound the same as mine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
From what I remember reading the heat will cause added resistance in the wiring. Might be why it does it when you stop for gas etc. Check the wiring as mrturboz suggests. Could be loose connection or some corrosion that you need to clean off. How old is the battery? The bigger wiring previously mentioned might do the trick.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brand new battery and it's holding a good charge. I have a battery tender but to make sure the battery is working okay before my upcoming trip I left it off the charge for about a week. Not an issue. The wiring was all just looked at and fixed as needed. I had a bad electrical issue when I got the bike. I thinks it's all okay. I've ridden more than 1,500 miles now with lots of stopping and starting, cool temps and hot. Aside from the .25 seconds of oh shit, all seems good to go... We shall see. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just went through an ST4s I bought recently with same issues. I upgraded starter, solenoid and ground cables (I went to home depot and replaced the cheap 8 gauge cables and connectors with 4 gauge for about $15). I also sprayed the starter & battery connections with an electrical spray on plastic coat to avoid future dirt and corrosion. Then I went through the whole bike with a spray can of electrical cleaner and cleaned all fuses, wiring connections, ECU connections etc. Bike starts 1st crank now. (I have to add I also did a complete tune up including plugs, fuel filter, etc. previously.)

I also seem to remember reading somewhere that part of the startup procedure for the bike was to turn the key to the start position and to wait until the fuel gauge bars show up on the display before hitting the start button. Not sure if this is accurate, but it works for me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
98 ST2 starting

But I'm just 'recovering' from some electrical issues so anytime there is even a slight thought of something up, I'm sensitive. Even when the low light gauge lights up, at first I'm thinking 'now what'....
I know what you mean, been there. All italian cars/bikes have issues you have to learn to deal with. They say that's loving.
If you upgrade to a more powerful starter it's natural that the phenomenon stops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30SCMXHMPKo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rclhat8Na6o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zATOc9rSHGQ

Seeing that, I don't worry too much, but the curious thing is that mine is not doing it when the engine is at normal working temperature.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts