Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 98 st2 with aprox 23k on it, it had been down and had broken fairings. It has never started right, I could get it to start by using a battery charger on jump, but it seems to have a lot of trouble turning over. The guy i bought it from told me it needed a new battery.

Im in the process of converting to a streetfighter/naked bike, so I moved the battery to under the seat. (got a new one)

The owner of my local motorcycle shop tells me that any 12 volt battery should be able to start the bike, but it wouldnt crank for as long.. (dont know whether to believe him or not) but i went ahead and bought a parts unlimited ytz10s battery

hooked it up, and the bike will just barely start sometimes, other times it wont start at all. it will start with a charger on jump, but still seems weak

I bypassed the selenoid from just the battery, and same story. put the cable of the charger on jump to the starter, a little better but still doesnt work right.

Does it sound like I need a new starter? or my old battery was bad and the new one isnt powerful enough, so i need a new big one?

Getting anxious to get this thing on the road, so any help is greatly appriciated, Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
How have you bypassed the starter solenoid?

Sounds like starter to me.

Also check all your cables to make sure they are fine and earthing out properley. Might be a stuffed cable.

Cheers

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have used a YTZ7S to start mine all along[since may], no problems.
You need to check ALL the cables, the grounds are notorious for losing contact. Some heavier cables is a good idea[next guage down wire] solder the ends.
Could be your starter? Unhook your cables and jump the starter from your car. Should crank like crazy. You might just need to change the brushes.
Search this forum for charging problems on 1998's, might help you before you need it.
Going naked is fine.
Make sure your fuel pump is working. Check the fuel tank for bad fuel hoses. Change the fuel filter. I njectors could be dirty if it has set for a long time.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

The bike runs good once its started, it just wont turn over well with the starter.

danrduc-
I did go straight to the starter with a jump start and it didnt turn over freely

Where could I get new brushes?

Thanks again

·
Registered
998 Posts
Thanks guys,

The bike runs good once its started, it just wont turn over well with the starter.

danrduc-
I did go straight to the starter with a jump start and it didnt turn over freely

Where could I get new brushes?

Thanks again
Check the ST forum on Ducatisti.co.uk look for the threads by ebolavictim, same problem as yours maybe.
There must be an electrical repair shop around you. Good shops carry brushes for all different types of starters and alternator/generators. Matching up is usually not a problem. Pretty standard stuff. Check a Bosch web site, if you get a # off of it[the starter], or a couple others. Google bike starters. Check this forum[all sites] for starter.
If all else fails DEREK knows, pm DEREK
You know, when you read this thread, down at the bottom of the page there are links to other threads that may be relavant, don't forget those.

·
Registered
204 Posts
When I had similar probs a while back it turned out to be a leaking oil seal had let oil into the starter motor.
Oil had slowly been spread all over the place inside the starter motor until the commutator had so much crud on it that it was arcing out.Look for signs of a badly gunged up commutator when you check the brushes.
Its possible to replace the brushes with the starter motor in place but you have to pull the left hand crankcase cover if you need to get the starter motor out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Forgot to mention your ST2 may be different...I was working on my ST4S....but I imagine the issue could be the same.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took a picture of my brushes, sorry about the poor quality, all I had was my phone.

Im not sure if theyre the problem or not..

Also, I used jumper cables to go directly from the battery to the bolt on the starter, it tried, but couldn't turn it over.

·
Registered
226 Posts
A little while ago, I made up some brushes to fix a friends ATV. The ones I pulled out looked about the same length as yours. The coil spring in the top pushing the brush down will bottom out against the cutout in the side of the brush housing. When this happens there will be no spring tension pushing the brush against the commutator. Once we reassembled the starter it worked good as new. Replace the brushes and check the commutator for glazing and burning from the brushes arcing. Do NOT use emery cloth to clean the glaze. It`s conductive and will short out the whole commutator!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so I got some new brushes, as close as i could find to the original ones. They will need sanded down a bit on the sides, but the bigger problem is that the wires come out of the bottom rather than the side, like the originals.

How can I attach the wires to the new brushes on the side?
JB Weld? it cant be soldered in can it?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hmmm, it should be possible to file a groove down the side of the brush and then fold the wire over and into the groove.Then you can pull the wire out the side a la OEM. It`ll have to be just deep enough to accept the wire and slide free. Trial and error.
haven`t done this myself but can`t see why it won`t work.

Being new here, can you buy just the brushes or do you have to order the whole plate assembly? Or can you even get that?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm, it should be possible to file a groove down the side of the brush and then fold the wire over and into the groove.Then you can pull the wire out the side a la OEM. It`ll have to be just deep enough to accept the wire and slide free. Trial and error.
haven`t done this myself but can`t see why it won`t work.
This is a good idea, and will probably be what i end up doing. Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Turns out there was oil leaking into the starter as well.

I copied down the numbers of the starter, and ordered one from a denso dealer for $88! I thought it was going to cost several hundred dollars, which it probably would have if I would have ordered it from ducati.

Im counting on it coming with the seal that was leaking. Has anybody replaced their starter and can confirm that it will come with the seal?

·
Registered
204 Posts
If it doesn't come with a seal you should be able to buy one at any engineering, bearing or automotive supply place.
Its a common size and costs only a few dollars.
Keep your old one for possible reference numbers and take care when putting the new one in.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HELP!!!

So I got the new starter on, hooked it up to my new battery that reads 15v, and it wouldnt start it!

So frustrated, i guess, i hook up the battery charger on jump... it started pretty easily.

Let it run for a while, then turn it off, take the charger off, and when I pushed the starter button, the selenoid just clicked.

Back on with the charger, would start.

I repeated this a few times, then did some other stuff and it wouldnt start with a charger or anything. Even with the charger hooked up directly to the starter post...

Did I ruin the new starter? Was it bad from the start? Is the battery bad?

What do you guys think? Im so frustrated with this bike. If anybody is looking for naked st project that is like 75% done, I would definitely consider selling it.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
so she runs fine when it fires right - so fuel and spark arent a problem.

U said in your first post u by-passed the starter solenoid - how have u done this? have u tried a new solenoid?

I think it would be coincidental that a new starter would have exactly the same problem - so id be looking at the battery and/or solenoid. have u load tested the battery? Checked all cables for correct earth etc...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its got a new battery, and new cables (and ends) because I relocated the battery to under the seat.

It seems to not be running as good as it was originally, needs new spark plugs im pretty sure

But like I said, I touched a jumper cable directly to the starter

1 - 20 of 45 Posts