Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The search function seems to not be working-or I'm not using it correctly as zero results come back for me.

In short, my 1998 ST2 has some pretty bad shake to the front end. I test rode a MTS and it made me realize just HOW bad my front end is bouncing when I brake hard.

Any idea on how much $$ I may be looking at for parts/labor on something like this? I'm guessing that new rotors will fix this issue or is it possible that replacing the rotors will not eliminate the bouncing?

thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same problem on my ST4s and I was sure it was the rotors, it felt and pulsated like rotors under brakes. Wrong... Installed tapered head bearings and have a new bike now. While I was at it installed Ferrodo ST pads and lightly scuffed discs with 220 emery paper. Very happy with brakes now. Thats my experience with this problem but do a search as its a known problem on this board. Assume nothing!!!

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
Try repacking the steering head bearings or replacing them. Clean and lube the rotor buttons. Clean the rotors with simple green and a scouring sponge, rough up the pads with sandpaper and then go out and do some HARD braking. That should clean it up. Maybe :eek:

·
Registered
813 Posts
The search function seems to not be working-or I'm not using it correctly as zero results come back for me.

In short, my 1998 ST2 has some pretty bad shake to the front end. I test rode a MTS and it made me realize just HOW bad my front end is bouncing when I brake hard.

Any idea on how much $$ I may be looking at for parts/labor on something like this? I'm guessing that new rotors will fix this issue or is it possible that replacing the rotors will not eliminate the bouncing?

thanks.
Have the forks been rebuilt ? Could be time , in any case . Options would be
cleaning the rotors ( as already suggested ) new pads , might want to look into Vesrah ( though you might like another brand ) .
I went the full monty on mine , racetech gold vales and springs , 7wght slickness , semi metallic pads , and .....

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Hey! Put your full monty back in your pants. We don't need to see a set of gorgeous, light weight wheels. BAD for the checking account. :p

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Try searching "Warped Discs" - 9 results and a lot of information. ;)

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rear brake issue has been fixed. I fried the brand new pads when the calipers seized but other than that, they are good to go now. I apparently missing a return spring, which didn't cause the problem on it's own but certainly added to it.

Front end shudder; There is nothing noticeable while riding, slow, fast, in the turns, etc.. It's ONLY when braking harder at faster speeds. Say in city traffic 35-45mph if you hit the brake hard I don't feel it. But 60-80mph and I hit the brake hard it's very much there. If I gently slow down from higher speeds using the front and rear together, no problem. But, if I hit the front brake aggressively at all(not emergency stopping) the front end bounces/shudders. I have adjusted the top and bottom fork adjusters, dampening/rebound a bit over the past few weeks but that has zero effect on the shudder.

When I test rode a new MTS it made me realize just how bad my problem is. I knew it was bad, but until you have something to judge it against you don't fully realize HOW bad...

I'm heading to my mechanic tomorrow. I'm going to mention the bearings/possibly rotors. He will ride the bike and it's hard to miss. I just want to narrow it down before the clock/$$ starts.

·
Registered
183 Posts
if you have a center stand put it up on that then get the front wheel off the ground helper naked girls work well for this or a sandbag your choice.:)
feel around check for any thing loose be methodical in that everything is related to the next if you can't find anything and head bearings are good ....
my vote goes for pad buildup/transfer better pads should fix that .
my st3's brake problems are gone and feels great.
if i am following your problem correctly it is gradually getting worse.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brake pads are cheap compared to all other possible solutions. Mine are most likely less than 1/2 life anyway. If my mechanic isn't totally certain, I'm going to go with new pads and see what's what.

Heading to the shop tomorrow am.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts