Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the 'red line' RPM on a 1998 ST2? Also, just out of curiosity why is there a -1 on the tach after the x mark?

This is my first ST(second ducati, first was a 750 monster). Loving this bike but there are a couple of oddities. Like no redline mark on the tach and a completely dysfunctional kick-stand. Getting used to the center stand but not sure what to do in a place like San Francisco where you almost always park on a hill.... WHY they had to reinvent the wheel with the kick-stand is beyond my comprehension. This is the 12th bike I've owned and I can't recall such a poorly designed stand on any bike before.

Anyway, I digress. Just curious what the red line rpm is. My guess is around 8,000?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Redline as per the manual is 9,000 RPM. The stock sidestand is asinine, there are kits on ebay to take away its "suicide" feature.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that. I have a manual for an st4 (i have an st2) and the online manual I found is a 2000 MY. I know they should be similar.

I bought a bolt from TPS i believe it's called but haven't installed it yet. I was going to but was talked out of it. Forget it once and it's no good. Second, the bike doesn't feel solid on it's side stand. Aside from the bolt are there better kits? Not sure what to search for on ebay.

Blows me a way the kick-stand is so poorly designed. I've been thinking back and forth that it's a pain, and it sure can be.
thanks.

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
My 98 has a rev limiter. 9,000 rpm with the stock chip. I believe it is about 9,500 rpm with the FIM chip. I modified my kick stand bolt to remove the self retraction feature. Now it works just like my 3 other motorcycles:D

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
The sie stands from 1999 on-up are straight, and not shaped like the 1998 "dog-leg".
I just transitioned from a '98 to a 2003 ST4S, and the stand is much easier to deploy. Granted, this has a "normal" spring that leaves the stand out, along with a kill-switch.
But the tang that you use is much better on the straight stand, and it's a much more natural motion. I'm sure any of the newer ST models side stands would bolt onto a 1998, if you wanted to shop for a used one...

On the '98, I was always conscious of the slope of the area where I was parking. You definitely don't want to use the side stand in a low spot. Level or even slight hump was better. Also, I learned to get the stand out about 80% of the say, start leaning the bike on the stand, and then rolling to the rear.

My 1998 had the Ducati Performance chip in the ECU, and I was never able to make the rev limiter work... :cool: Go desmo!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I modified my kick stand bolt to remove the self retraction feature.
After buying my bike new in 2000 and 46k miles later, I finally modified my kickstand bolt to eliminate the self-retracting feature.

I removed the side stand assembly from the engine case, pulled the pin/bolt out to disassemble the assembly, and then used a hack saw to cut the pin/shoulder portion of the bolt off and then cleaned it up with a file.

The part of the bolt that creates the suicide stand feature is a hollow cylindrical protrusion on the "head" part of the bolt. Removal is a simple procedure and took me about 30 minutes....because I cleaned all the gunk from the area since I had the assembly pulled off of the bike. :D

The largest potential drawback to removing the suicide feature, especially if you are used to it, is accidentally leaving the sidestand down when rolling the bike off of the centerstand. If you do this, there is a chance of slamming the sidestand into the pavement. With the sidestand mounted to the engine case, I'm sure it won't hold up to too many of these events before breaking the case. When we got my wife's ST2 with the modified sidestand, I slammed it into the ground twice when rolling the bike off of the centerstand. Fortunately, it did not do any noticeable damage to the bike. I finally figured I'd change the one on my bike, also, so that I get in the habit of always checking the sidestand from now on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts