Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to spray paint the blackish plastic outer part on my panniers. The blackish areas have turned to a light gray on the tops and rears, and there are many lighter colored scratches and scrapes. I simply want to remove the color panel and spray the entire thing (scratches and all) with a single uniform color, but what is the correct color? I searched and could not find an answer for this.

I did find a thread or two about recreating the bumpy finish, but 'm not going to mess around with that. The original color seems to be some sort of gray black color, but to be sure I don't know if it is supposed to be gloss, semi gloss, or flat, and was it really grayish-black or is it just faded true black? Other plastic parts like the dash panels and fairing inserts are some sort of gray metallic colored paint, and I don't know if the panniers were that same color. I don't want too many different colors on the bike, and so I hesitate to just paint them black if they were supposed to match the other grays on the bike. Does anyone have a close Duplicolor code or some such thing?

Thanks,
Mike

2001 ST2
2012 848 Evo
2007 Sport 1000S

·
Registered
541 Posts
I would say a satin black would do the trick. Cleaning the surface would be important for adhesion. TSP maybe would do a good job of that. This is what I would do I guess or try something like armor all to try to temporarily get rid of the gray. I would paint as a last resort I guess or maybe someone has done it with good results.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
406 Posts
before you go with paint , you might want to try one of the re-black products .... I gave some a try 2 years ago on all black areas of my ST3 and it is still looking new .... I think the stuff I got was Turtle Wax brand .... an applicator is provided which is a firm sponge .... after cleaning , it is just applied , think maybe I did 2 coats .... very happy with results ..... way easier than paint and it dries fast .... and seems to hold up very well ...
Craig

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey that is a great idea Craig. I have a few products in the garage that I can try out.

Thanks!
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts