Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying an older ST2 for 2 up riding. I realize the bike isn't going to be "all that" but it really would be just for 2 up "scenic" riding. I've considered several other models/brands, but I already have a '99 900ss and I'm thinking the "similarities" might make life easier as far as some parts/maint etc.
I've been riding the 900ss 2 up for the last year and it's just a pain. Not quite comfortable. To get it to handle right requires setup and changing that's annoying. And it's about impossible to carry anything along for overnight trips.
Other considerations are BMW(K) or something else(older FJ?), even considered a Hog but I can't quite bring myself to that.
Money is always a consideration....
Opinions? (especially from ST2 owners)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Get a Honda Shadow, if you want "all that" and leave the ST2 to those of us who appreciate the performance of the 944.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I initially bought my st2 for me and my girl to ride on. i had been out of riding for a few years. I have to say, i should have went for the ST4s, but I was a sport rider. All in all the ST2 is a great bike. It is very comfortable for both riders and also handles well. I have not had any major issues with my bike.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
1998 St2

I've ridden my bike solo for up to 750 miles in 11.5 hours and ridden two-up for 450 miles in the mountain twisties of NC and TN. I don't think you could even attempt to find a more well-rounded sport-touring bike than the ST line that Ducati offers. The bike is more than capable of surprising many pure sport-bike riders in the twisties, and it is more comfortable than most bikes for long hauls. The "lack" of power on the ST2 is not really noticeable in the twisty mountain roads, even riding two-up, especially with a 14:42 (or 15:44) gearing (and slip-ons, eprom chip and aixbox mods).........If you don't think the ST2 will be "all that", you've just never ridden one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad to hear that. One of the benefits I see of getting the ST2 is many of the "intermediate mods" I have from my 900 could be applied to the ST2. (I have DP ECU and pipes laying around along with extra sprockets etc). I really did expect to hear more in the way of "lacking performance" from owners...
Plus, with the ST2 for 2 up riding, It would be "reasonable" to make the 900 more of a "solo only" dedicated machine.....

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I think that an ST2 would fit your need quite well. The bags are very nice, suspension is fairly cheap to upgrade if you desire, and they can be had for a song. I would not rule out an ST4 or 4s but I think the ST2 is a great all around bike.

·
Still needs a life.
12,609 Posts
sk66 said:
I'm considering buying an older ST2 for 2 up riding. I realize the bike isn't going to be "all that" but it really would be just for 2 up "scenic" riding.
Don't sell the ST2 short just because it is not the newest and hottest thing in the Ducati lineup. Many an ST2 rider has left me in the dust. Technology is no substitute for technique.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Chances are that after riding the ST you might start to like it more than you think...... and want something more sportier than the 900 ....

addiction can be a pleasant thing...

Doc:)
:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I traded my monster for the ST2 and have never looked back. Oh yea, my wife is more comfy when she goes along !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts