Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put my 98 ST2 on its side stand....as it settles onto the stand I hear creaking sounds coming from the bike from under the seat,...behind the engine area...ideas??

If Its on the side stand and I lightly rock the bike a bit from side to side.....the creaking sound is quite evident as the rear suspension moves up and down a bit.

Sounds like something is dry or too tight in the suspension....or.....could I have a cracked frame?

Brian

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
I believe it is the tie rod / linkage. Mine makes a noise similar to this. I apply some grease and wipe off the overspray to prevent grime build up. It seems to last a few months, but does not bind the suspension and the rod is free enough to be rotated a bit by hand.

I'd be interested in hearing other's solutions.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tony,..sounded like you were on to something....so went out and started lubing those Heim joint link ends....but no go.....yet.....started with some Honda PTFE clear chain lube....still creaking....then went to PB Blaster (Penetrant/Lube)....did upper and lower shock AND Link mounting points. The link doesn't want to rotate freely either....so....that may be the culprit....and it may take some forecful rotating of it with lube before it quiets down.

I believe it is the tie rod / linkage. Mine makes a noise similar to this. I apply some grease and wipe off the overspray to prevent grime build up. It seems to last a few months, but does not bind the suspension and the rod is free enough to be rotated a bit by hand.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
Don't be too forceful with the link rod. It's aluminum and can get beat up very easily.

It sounds like you know it, but it only rotates a bit when free, but only if the rod ends are aligned.

I have to let the lube work in for me also. This is what I use:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/alisyn-synthetic/

Note the reader comment at the bottom of the article. Kind of crazy, but that is what I bought, the Genie branded stuff. It did un-kink a chain link on my old bike. The fizz is interesting and seems to help it penetrate.

If used on a chain it will fling off. After the chain link was free, I went back to my usual lube.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went out and gave it another shot while moving the link back and forth and spritzing a bit of the Honda PTFE Chain Lube on the surface of the ball portion of the Heim Joints.....no change at all.........so thinking its something else. Sounds like plastic moving against something......but that worries me a bit as that would almost seem to require a cracked frame.........I dont see anything around the rear engine mount that looks like a crack.........

I think I will start removing the plastic like the tool tray and checking around .

tried a mechanics stethoscope, but as I rock the bike....the stethoscope can't keep up with the movements of the bike.....so that didnt work.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another effort,...pulled the toolkit tray out....started to look around a bit more....grabbed the Heim Jointed link bar while rocking the bike......Seems like you may be right....I could "feel" more of the creaking and popping while holding the suspension link bar than any other parts. Sprayed the heck out of it while rocking it back and forth.....no change. I may take it out completely and see if the noise quits....if it does....I'll clamp the link into my bench vise and work it a bit while lubing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tony,/ All,...definitely not the Heim jointed suspension link next to the shock. I took it completely out and clamped it in my vice and worked it around. Its snug,...but not binding. Lubed all the shock mount points and sprayed the swing arm hinge points as well......still creaking. Most noticeable on the side stand....but also does it (less noticeable ) when I just sit on the bike with my feet on the ground and move the bike up and down a bit by sitting on it then lifting up.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
Tony,/ All,...definitely not the Heim jointed suspension link next to the shock. I took it completely out and clamped it in my vice and worked it around. Its snug,...but not binding. Lubed all the shock mount points and sprayed the swing arm hinge points as well......still creaking. Most noticeable on the side stand....but also does it (less noticeable ) when I just sit on the bike with my feet on the ground and move the bike up and down a bit by sitting on it then lifting up.
That is crazy. You've put up a helluvan effort.

All I have left are stupid ideas like installing the link rod upside down (like it really matters) or rotating the ball in the joint 180deg to get it on a new wear surface (I'm not sure if this is even possible).

I'd like to tell you to post this up on the superbike forum, but they don't put as many miles on as we do. Although, they do have the same suspension layout.

Also, you might want to post this up at LT's boards at desmotimes.com. He's put a lot of miles on STs and is a first rate wrench.

Good luck.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
When mine did that, it was because the rear engine bolt was nearly on the verge of breaking.

Tom

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
When mine did that, it was because the rear engine bolt was nearly on the verge of breaking.

Tom
Tom,

Good point. The rear engine bolt weakening is verified by checking it with a torque wrench, right?

Can you post up the Duc value for the ST2? Mine was good for the full 43Nm (32ft-lb) the last time I checked, but that is for the newer 12mm bolts.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
Actually, that might be the right value for the pre-2001 STs since it came from the 2000 ST4 service manual. ducatiwiki.com states that the 12mm bolts are 60ft-lbs.

I'll be re-checking mine tonight. ;)

Have a good one.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I wondered if That might be a possible issue. Can I just remove it to do a visual.............or...........is Torqueing the correct way to check it out?

I have seen replacements at Nichols engineering for $220 ............for two bolts.......you gotta be kidding!!!

Is there a more reasonably priced alternative which does the job adequately and safely?

Brian

Tom,

Good point. The rear engine bolt weakening is verified by checking it with a torque wrench, right?

Can you post up the Duc value for the ST2? Mine was good for the full 43Nm (32ft-lb) the last time I checked, but that is for the newer 12mm bolts.

Have a good one.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Mine would torque up OK, but the problem was still there. Removing the bolt showed that the threads were getting worn through by the frame, and this allowed slight movement, even when fully torqued. Dealer replaced it under warranty (I bought it used with a three month warranty), which solved the problem, and I replaced that with a set of Nichols bolts figuring that the problem would eventually return otherwise.

Tom

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
That's got to be the first time that a Duc dealer was less expensive than a vendor. ;) joke.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys! Problem fixed (for the time being anyway,Im curious to see if it returns

I torqued the rear mount bolt to 43 nm (took 2 or 3 90 degree swings of the torque wrench) and problem gone.......but...........just to get some perspective....I loosened it and removed the engine bolt completely to inspect it. I was expecting that the threads would be galled up.....but they are not at all..............so.....what the hey............put it back together and torqued to 43nm again.:)

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
Wow. Excellent. Keep an eye on it like Tom noted. I think the ST2 FAQ said to check it at every service. I guess we can add to check it at every creak. ;)

Have a good one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts