Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my apologies if it's been covered before, wasn't able to see any topic regarding this issue .... So here it goes, any other st2 owners experiencing water getting into their lcd screen and completely gone kaput? Mine just did, a short time in the rain and no longer working

Thx,
Mart

Sent from my iPod touch using MO Free

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hello, my apologies if it's been covered before, wasn't able to see any topic regarding this issue .... So here it goes, any other st2 owners experiencing water getting into their lcd screen and completely gone kaput? Mine just did, a short time in the rain and no longer working

Thx,
Mart

Mart, I can't help you with your water ingress now but after you replace it remember to smear vasaline or some other petroleum gel round the edges of the display, and regularly do it again. This seems to be the only preventative way of stopping this happening.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
The scren is super easy to split apart, clean up, and seal. I did mine with cyanoacrylate glue inside and out. I found water getting in around the edges of the display and through the push button.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi , Puffin64, Tonered and VGV21, thank you for the quick response! I will try and pry this screen open first as some of u suggested, and see if a quick cleaning would do the trick..

I was certainly close on buying one off ebay ( but what a shame these things arent cheap) ... A NOS is at least 200 dollars and + shipping and duties.. Certainly can add up. Thank u for the input!

I'll keep u gents with the update once I get this lil project finished

Mart

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
You're welcome.

If you are careful with the glue, you can seal the push button up well. Just make sure the internals are very dry before you seal it up. It's been just about 3yrs now, and not a sign of moisture or trouble while riding and sitting in all kinds of weather.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update :D

once again, thank you so much to everyone with your quick tips... I did get this bike 2nd hand (I believe I am the 2nd owner), nevertheless, wanted to send a quick update out...

Once I had a chance on opening her up, it shows a crazy amount of corrosion in there, I suppose it wasn't the first time that water got into it... corrosion so bad that it ate some of the lead that are soldered on to the printed board.

I haven't gotten her working yet, but my neighbour who is retired electrical engineer, is currently working on it, and trying to see if we could revive the display, LCD is fine, but we're not sure if any of the diodes, etc are fried that needs to be replaced.... now I just have to get a diagram of it somewhere, and find out each readings on those diodes and resistors...

thanks again, everyone

Mart

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had to replace the LCD on my 2002 ST4s.
Bought mine used also, there were two cracks in the LCD screen when I got it. Wonder how the cracks got there.:confused:
New one from Ducati was $400.00:eek:

I am not keen on splitting open a brand new part that cost that much.

Plus when I ordered mine I was told there were 10 in stock, so must be 9 now.

Good luck with yours.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
once again, thank you so much to everyone with your quick tips... I did get this bike 2nd hand (I believe I am the 2nd owner), nevertheless, wanted to send a quick update out...

Once I had a chance on opening her up, it shows a crazy amount of corrosion in there, I suppose it wasn't the first time that water got into it... corrosion so bad that it ate some of the lead that are soldered on to the printed board.

I haven't gotten her working yet, but my neighbour who is retired electrical engineer, is currently working on it, and trying to see if we could revive the display, LCD is fine, but we're not sure if any of the diodes, etc are fried that needs to be replaced.... now I just have to get a diagram of it somewhere, and find out each readings on those diodes and resistors...

thanks again, everyone

Mart
Once I cleaned mine up with heavy corrosion, I tested the naked board on the bike. It functioned perfectly. So, I carefully sealed it up.

I had to replace the LCD on my 2002 ST4s.
Bought mine used also, there were two cracks in the LCD screen when I got it. Wonder how the cracks got there.:confused:
New one from Ducati was $400.00:eek:

I am not keen on splitting open a brand new part that cost that much.

Plus when I ordered mine I was told there were 10 in stock, so must be 9 now.

Good luck with yours.
If you're buying a new one and ride or park in the rain, your very best bet is splitting the case, first thing. Try it with the old one first and you'll laugh how easy it is. There is almost no risk of damage if they are still building them the same way. Knowing Duc, that is a sure thing. It's probably NOS anyway.

The cracks could have came from water freezing in there. ??

The problem is that water gets in through the push button and around the window / bezel joint. I found water in both locations and dried it out prior to sealing. I sealed both sides of the window / bezel as well as the push button (carefully).

Have a good one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello Gents... it is disheartening to say that the LCD gauge is beyond repairable, corrosion had eaten it away, and that only a few bars, (part of the LCD is working). Now the hunt for a new gauge ($200 usd on ebay) is on... perhaps, anyone out there selling one??? LOL.

THANKS again for all the help.

Mart

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Mart, please fill out a signature file WITH the model/year bike your riding. Sometimes this info helps a lot, knowing it in advance

1 - 11 of 11 Posts