Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been covered, I've searched kickstand, sidestand, suicide, etc.. Not finding what I"m looking for.

This is the first bike I've owned that has such a dysfunctional kick-stand. Every other bike I've owned(11 others) have all had 'normal' stands. I don't mind using the center stand but there are a lot of times that I would like to get off, run a quick errand and just use the side stand.

I ordered a bolt from TPO that replaces the original but I have been SEVERELY warned against using it as I may crack the engine case, and crash, if i forget to pull it up.

I can't even use the side stand as it's an amazing chore to get it on the ground without my pants catching, etc..

Is there a solution?

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Year? The 1998 ST2 has a side stand that looks like a blaksmith was having a real bad day. There's like a 90 deg. bend in it. 1999 and on are straight, and a bit easier to deploy.

That said, I've put about 50,000 miles on my 1998, and it's NEVER tasted dirt on the fairings. I've grown to like the "dog-leg" side stand ...

What I do is get it out about 80% of the way, start putting weight on it, and roll to the rear. Works 4 me!

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, mine is a 1998 model, and well put stating the stand looks like the blacksmith was having a bad day. I mean they seemed to go out of their way to create a bad kickstand!

I'll try your method. Just makes a quick stop more of a pain, having to use the center stand..

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
FWIW, if you got a 1999 stand and engine mount, it would be "straight", but also the suicide type, mechanically. Either 2000 or 2001, they allowed the newer, straight stand to stay out, but they introduced a switch which would kill the engine if the stand is left deployed, and the machine shifted into first.

So a newer stand might be better mechanically, but you MUST remember to retract it before starting off.

Maybe I don't mind the "suicide" style, because of the 2 1978 BMW's that I put way too many miles on! It was the "Euro" way to ensure a safe side stand's operation.

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,451 Posts
I've had my '98 with the suicide-side stand since bought new in '00. In the 45k+ miles and nine years I've owned it, the stand has never caused an issue, but.....I've been thinking of making it a "normal" stand, lately. My wife's '98 ST2 has been modified by a previous owner and the normal side stand has proven to be nice. The only main issue that I've had is putting it on the sidestand, then putting it on the centerstand, and forgetting to retract the side stand before setting the bike back down. What happens if you forget? You can smack the crap out of the side stand into the ground as you roll the bike off the centerstand.....and probably run the risk of breaking the side stand bosses on the engine case. I've done this once, and was not happy with doing it. I try to remember to look down before rolling it off the center stand, now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts