Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took apart the projector lamp on my ST2 the other day. Inside the rear housing, was an awful mess. What should be a beautiful chrome shiny shell for reflecting light, was a poor surface with an equally poor chrome job. No wonder the lighting is so poor.
Has anyone else had theirs apart with a simular result? It looks like it came from the factory that way. I am attempting to smooth the surface, thinking about getting a great chrome job on it. Maybe that would allow some light out the front, instead of bouncing around inside the housing.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I took apart the projector lamp on my ST2 the other day. Inside the rear housing, was an awful mess. What should be a beautiful chrome shiny shell for reflecting light, was a poor surface with an equally poor chrome job. No wonder the lighting is so poor.
Has anyone else had theirs apart with a simular result? It looks like it came from the factory that way. I am attempting to smooth the surface, thinking about getting a great chrome job on it. Maybe that would allow some light out the front, instead of bouncing around inside the housing.
Really, don't waste any money on the stocker, and save up to get Paul's wonderful mod.

http://www.ducatidesigns.com/inc/sdetail/35

·
Registered
494 Posts
I pulled mine apart a few years ago just to clean the back side of the lens. I did notice the poor quality of the reflector, but nothing too serious.
But what I did notice is that the light came out looking like new and the lighting improved once i cleaned out the light and re-sealed it.

A few years later, it still looks clean and new. Looks better than most (stock) ST's that I have seen.

·
Registered
100 Posts
dan

not sure id go for the re chrome job - maybe find a second unit.

But id definately upgrade the globes - for about $60 you can double your light intensity and throw.

There is something about the Ducati Designs lights that doesnt grab me...

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have to agree, I don't care for the look of the DD's either; I've seen aftermarket kits you can wire up the blacks boxes and install HID light bulbs yourself but I've been too lazy to sit down and calculate the power draw; do any wiring, etc.

I cleaned my stock light housing out real well & installed new sylvania bulbs I crossed-referenced online and bought at Wal-Mart; so far it works fine for me but I never ride out in the country at night....

·
Registered
209 Posts
DD headlight, and some auxiliary light to fill in the corners. More light is better in every way.

Another option is to put in some headlight relays to boost the voltage at the bulb. A few extra volts makes a BIG difference. Check out these kits.
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/H4_Kits/h4_kits.html
Nicely finished, and a reasonable price. Lots of good reviews.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/headlight-relay/motorcycle-headlight-relay.htm
Its on my christmas list for my old bike.

Cheers,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts