Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All you ST2 riders out there. What do you normally get on a tank of gas... I think I'm getting crappy mileage. I'm getting about 175 on a tank, and in thinking I should get more. I bought her used couple months ago and I ride about 100 miles a day commuting to work.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
130 Posts
Your Mileage May Vary...

I get an average of just under 40 mpg, which gives me about 160 miles until I get the low fuel warning, with 1 1/2 gallons remaining. This is with the DP pipes, open air box, DP chip, and the trim pot set slightly rich...

Take care,
Bart

All you ST2 riders out there. What do you normally get on a tank of gas... I think I'm getting crappy mileage. I'm getting about 175 on a tank, and in thinking I should get more. I bought her used couple months ago and I ride about 100 miles a day commuting to work.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm similar to Bartman. I get around 39 mpg - I start seeing the warning around 140. FBF pipes and chip. Running premium because I can get non-ethanol up here.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Averaging around 45 MPG (US), low fuel light around 170 miles. This is mostly commuting, with the bulk of my route being on 55-MPH state highways.

Everything engine-related (airbox, exhaust, ECU) is stock, but I did play with the trim pot when setting the TPS and synching the TBs this summer.

·
Registered
620 Posts
37 to 39 mpg with the bike carrying 330lbs or so.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
I rode with Paul Geller to the first ST Madness Rally in Torrey, UT back in 2003. Paul had a later model red ST2 and I had an 01-ST4 in the fastest color. I recall that my bike got better mileage than Paul's even though we rode together at about the same speeds.

Attachments

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Recall seeing that the '2' is not known to be the most frugal of the ST's but it has better low-down torque so maybe people take full advantage of this and this is reflected in the mpg ?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just got 44 mpg on my first tank. Intake, exhaust and ecu are stock and it runs like a top.

Are most people running 91 octane? I am assuming this engine being a 944 and higher compression that it is recommended?

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
Nope. These are not hi-comp bikes (any ST) in stock form. 87 octane is all you need.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
Don't ya know it! That, plus our trusty metal tank, we are good to go.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Blimey I must remember to change up more and stop going to the t-stop, as I wouldn't pass a gas station without filling up when the trip shows 120. I've never tried going to deep into reserve when the low fuel is blinking and I'm on the last bar.

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
Exactly. Why carry those extra 1.5gal and not use them? At about 40mpg, I'm typically refilling at 200mi or so.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Exactly. Why carry those extra 1.5gal and not use them? At about 40mpg, I'm typically refilling at 200mi or so.

Have a good one.

Just keep in mind that the last half gallon really isn't usable. Also, because your fuel does double duty as coolant for the fuel pump, constantly running dry risks overheating the pump and shortening it's life.

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
I'll respectfully beg to differ. I've filled up with 5.3gal numerous times and 5.4gal a couple times using the same station / same pump for those tanks. Once I did get a bit of a stumble when on the brakes. ;) I refill to the lower rim on the tank.

I have wondered if 5.5gal is usable fuel or includes the trapped/unusable amount and what that amount is. I agree that there is some unusable amount down in the cheeks of the tank.

I've never had the opportunity to measure the real capacity after a fuel filter change, but it would be interesting to know.

Fuel and oil pumps are a bit of a marvel to me. Holding 45psi constantly running for thousands of miles. The oil pump doubles that pressure. Yes, both fluids are lubricants, but still.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Nope. These are not hi-comp bikes (any ST) in stock form. 87 octane is all you need.

Have a good one.
Mine's a 4s, but the owner's manual requires 95 octane minimum (claimed compression ratio of 11.5:1). Others can do what they want, but I won't be running 87 octane in mine.

BTW, I get 47-49 mpg and the low fuel light comes on around 175-180. I've never gone more than 200 miles on a tank, but there was a little left when I've taken it that high.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My ST2 gas light goes on around 250km's (160miles approx.) so seems to be consistent with what everyone else here is saying.

I've also been running 87 octane for the 2+ months I've had her and no issues on the long trip out west to Colorado in September.

I was a little put off by the fuel mileage as my 01 monster 900 fuel light doesn't come on till close to 300km's (when the light still worked) but the monster runs dry shortly after 300 km's so they likely get similar mileage.

Anyone ever run their ST2 dry accidentally?

I'd be curiuous to know what the mileage was.

I've done it on my monster once and it was at 320km's (just over 200miles)

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
Mine's a 4s, but the owner's manual requires 95 octane minimum (claimed compression ratio of 11.5:1). Others can do what they want, but I won't be running 87 octane in mine.

BTW, I get 47-49 mpg and the low fuel light comes on around 175-180. I've never gone more than 200 miles on a tank, but there was a little left when I've taken it that high.
The ST4s Service Manual says 11(+/-0.5):1. The cutoff is usually 11:1 for 87 octane.

Just sayin'.

The ST4 OM says 10.2(+/-0.5):1 and the SM says 11(+/-0.5):1. I can say that I, like the previous owners, ran 91 octane until about 24,000mi when I was educated in this forum.

I did find a ton of carbon build up on the CC and piston crown when I pulled the vert head to attempt an oil leak fix when the bike had 40k or so on it. That can be attributed to too high octane.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
638 Posts
The ST4s Service Manual says 11(+/-0.5):1. The cutoff is usually 11:1 for 87 octane.

Just sayin'.

The ST4 OM says 10.2(+/-0.5):1 and the SM says 11(+/-0.5):1. I can say that I, like the previous owners, ran 91 octane until about 24,000mi when I was educated in this forum.

I did find a ton of carbon build up on the CC and piston crown when I pulled the vert head to attempt an oil leak fix when the bike had 40k or so on it. That can be attributed to too high octane.

Have a good one.
Strange. My owner's manual says 11.5 (+/-0.5):1. Maybe the year makes a difference?

Attachments

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
Weird. I'm not sure why the disconnect between the OM and SM for my bike either. Ducs are fun.

Have a good one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts