Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These events may make interesting reading or familiar frustrations. On the 2000 kilometre position of a ride uphill to North Queensland from Central Vic the 2001 St2 failed to come back to life after a fuel fill. At random times on the ride there was a backfire at startup. At a fuel stop it just didn’t restart with no backfire. The next day of the unplanned stopover it’s still dead so I get it towed to civilisation ( Mackay) and the deal is that you must have it go into a shop of your choice to get the Auto Club to pay for the tow. So my man at said shop puts in new plugs and it comes to life ! Diagnosis is both plugs failed together. Oh dear I said to myself, why didn’t I think of that! What I did think to ask of was did they test the supposedly dead plugs? So I go back to get it from the shop and ride to Townsville. Ran well for three weeks until a cold start backfire and no go. So I left it at work overnight and sure enough it goes first press of the button the next day. This time I cleaned the CPS surface and checked all connections and wiring plug sockets.The only work to do was a spark plug cap clean out on the horizontal cylinder.I wonder if anyone’s had the ominous backfire and lack of startup .

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
Nothing is impossible, but two plugs failing at the same time is close, especially since they were firing fine before. I always suggest doing the free and simple things first before buying expensive parts or taking it to a dealer. Check as thoroughly as you can for wiring shorts. Pay close attention to the wiring around ignition components. Look for any sign of burned wiring or discoloring. Unplug the cpu and check for good tight connections there with no corrosion. Clean them whether you see any or not, and spray with corrosion preventative. Replace your spark plug caps and wires, caps go bad. Clean and lube all your grounds.
I must say it sounds like a bad ecu to me, but most times these things turn out to be wiring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing is impossible, but two plugs failing at the same time is close, especially since they were firing fine before. I always suggest doing the free and simple things first before buying expensive parts or taking it to a dealer. Check as thoroughly as you can for wiring shorts. Pay close attention to the wiring around ignition components. Look for any sign of burned wiring or discoloring. Unplug the cpu and check for good tight connections there with no corrosion. Clean them whether you see any or not, and spray with corrosion preventative. Replace your spark plug caps and wires, caps go bad. Clean and lube all your grounds.
I must say it sounds like a bad ecu to me, but most times these things turn out to be wiring.
Yes I will get the magnifying glass onto this job thanks for replying duc96r.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What spank plugs do you use?
i had several problems with dead NGK plugs but never with Champion some years ago.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Genuine NGK plugs are really good, but there are some "replicas" out there that suck. It's possible (unlikely but possible) that both sets of plugs came from the same batch/supplier.

See if you can get new genuine plugs and see if that fixes it.

If not, I'd be tempted to replace the plug leads after you check al the grounds and connectors as suggested above. The backfire thing is odd. It could be that the backfire was caused by something failing or else the backfire caused the issue.

It almost sounds like it won't run at low revs (or start) unless everything is perfect. That could be as simple as low battery voltage - charging system or battery or bad connections, or could be something in the ignition system starting to fail.

You might try and inline spark tester and see if there's any spark next time that happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts