Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into this problem on the last ride out, at wide open throttle and around 8000 - 9000 rpm I lost all power, as if the kill switch was hit, after coasting for along at 70 mph, a selected fourth gear, let out the clutch and bum started the bike, bike ran fine, I noticed the oil light was on, only after the bike died, oil level is good,

Anyone else experience this? this happened twice on the last ride out, I really would not like that to happen if I was passing someone on a six lane highway!!!!!!!!:eek:

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
In order of what I'd check:

Unplug and re-plug all of the fuses and relays. Use a bit of Deoxit on the contacts. (relay could still be bad)

Flush gas and re-fill.

Reseat the HT and trigger leads from the coils. (coils / leads could still be bad)

Unplug the battery, wait 5 minutes and reseat the ECU harness, then plug the battery back in. (ECU could have a fault)

Inspect and / or change plugs.

Check the TPS potentiometer and values. You might want to have the CO readings checked to make sure you're not running too rich.

If the oil light was ever on when the motor was started, check the oil level, as well as have the pressure tested.

Hmm...other things to consider...loose connection at the kill switch, fuel pump output, faulty coolant sensor, belts, valves...

·
Registered
182 Posts
My ST2 would die at odd times and then restart with no trouble. The problem went away when I replaced the fuel pump relay under the seat. Don't get the Ducati one, auto parts stores will have the same part for less than $5.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just a thought - my old Monster did this and it was due to a kinked fuel hose - so flow was restricted but only noticeable at full tilt. Replaced the hose and next ride I nearly went off the back - happy days :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Or it's running slightly too rich - fouled plugs would be a sign of this. Where's your dial set on the board? I agree sounds fuel related. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? If you are having an oil light though... you might have the oil basket working it's way out which seems to be a common two valve thing. Oil starvation at high revs could be the problem, although I wouldn't freak out yet. I always like to set mine in place with a 16th-inch-after-snug with a cheater bar. This could be bad - I would definitely pull it out and see if you have a lot of debris in it, or the oil. WD40 in the hole also will flush more out if it's in there. I use a set of SnapOn keys for the work on the lower end stuff like that - they're really nice, although steep at about $200. At least you know you'll never have to buy another set and they go all the way up to the right size, no extra fuss.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Did the rev limiter kick in? I don't know what the rev limit is for the ST2.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I found the problem, the fuel pump relay under the seat connection seem to be loose, I unplugged both relays for inspection and the fuel pump now works, bike is up and running, I guess it either was on its way out or just worked itself loose? Seems to operated properly now with multiple starts.

Is there any history on these relays I should be worried about, thinking of replacing both just to be safe?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had same problem on my ST4s the shop said that it was the sidestand switch vibrating. Its now disabled and not had problem since.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Sounds like you may have "put your finger on the problem".
If the problem surfaces again, I'd check the TPS voltage output to make sure you're getting a clean voltage out of it at all throttle positions. My buddie's 1998 ST2 had a bad TPS that induced very poor running at normal cruising speeds. But I'm sure the TPS could have "bad spots" at other throttle positions.

FWIW--No side stand switch on the 1998 or 1999

1 - 12 of 12 Posts