Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know? after installing the Samco hoses (and new temp sensors) I can only get about 3/4 gal in it.

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
anyone know? after installing the Samco hoses (and new temp sensors) I can only get about 3/4 gal in it.
That's probably about right. Three .5 gallon containers of Engine Ice fills the ST4s and the 916 with just a bit left over for any top offs. That's not a fill from completely dry, just a fluid change. Run it to temp, burp the hoses, let it cool and check again just to be sure.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks, gents. It seems about right. It expelled some air and drew in some water last night as it cooled. I drained that out and refilled about the same amount with water and a flushing agent. Just got back from another ride to get it fully hot. I plan on riding it to work tomorrow to let the flushing agent do its job. Then another fill will fresh water to get that gone before water/anti-freeze goes in and the bodywork goes back on.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
It helps to fill it on the side stand, bringing the rad. cap to the highest point. Also, did you use the small bleed bolts on the fittings on the side of the jugs? There's an extra bolt on the fitting that "does nothing". Look closely, and you'll see a copper crush washer under the head of the allen bolts.

This is especially good to do on the vert. cylinder when refilling. Think about it. Where does THAT bubble go? I don't believe even the service manual mentions these. I had to point them out to my dealer way back when, when my 1998 alternator had the "Ducati campaign" done on it.

Reactions: SP3

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Flushing agent (1/3 bottle of Blue Devil, the rest plain water) ran through for a day and a bit. Flushed that out with two rounds of plain water. Super-clean-looking innards. 50/50 ethylene glycol/water back in, run up to temp (fan activation) and burped well. No leaks and cooling off to finalize the expansion tank level. Then, FINALLY, the bodywork goes on (ALL OF IT).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts