Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tool and size is needed for undoing the star shaped socket on the top of this? It looks like it might be a "Triple Square" / XZN drive about 20mm. I would also appreciate any suggestions about where to get one in the UK please.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I think the way you get the slave cyl. apart is to extract the piston. You can do it with hydraulic pressure...just keep pumping the master (make sure there's enough fluid), and the piston will pop out into your hand. Be sure to have plenty of rags ready AND DON'T GET THE BRAKE FLUID ON ANY PAINTED SURFACES.

Anyway, that's the way I did the slave on my 1998 ST2...

·
7,733 Posts
Is there a even rebuild kit for the OEM slave? I thought they were not servicable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ST2 Slave Cyclinder dismantling

I haven't a lot of faith in my local dealer, but I don't think even they would have sold me the seals if it wasn't rebuildable! The action end of the cylinder is completely solid except for the pushrod hole, so there is no way the piston and seals could have got in there from that end. There is a picture here of the other end:

http://i31.twenga.com/3/tp/67/37/1588809215984556737.png

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
The older ones can be taken apart as I described above. I bought a couple of "quad" o'rings from somebody that had obtained them, and was selling them in here about 7 years ago for like a buck. Fixed the leaky problem that I had...

Not sure if the newer style ones are meant to come apart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Stick and Stryder
I think you are both looking at completely different slave cylinder types to mine! I've managed to unscrew the top now, and have successfully replaced the seals. Works fine.

·
7,733 Posts
Stick and Stryder
I think you are both looking at completely different slave cylinder types to mine. I've got it apart now and replaced the seals.
Your slave looks a lot like the one on my '05 ST3. What did you use to turn the torx pattern bolt? Hope the rebuild lasts a good long time for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts