Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just bought a 98 ST2 as my first bike. It had a few minor problems, or so I though, but after digging into it I found more and more. The main thing I am working on now is the charging system. I have checked the stator and have 0 Volts coming out while it is running, But there is continuity between the plug wires, so I know there is not a break anywhere. The Stator looks in good condition but that doesn't always mean it's good. I'm to the point of my knowledge where the next step would to be to purchase a new stator, but I would like to exhaust all my options first. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
209 Posts
not be a wise ass but was vom set to ac when you tested the stator. niether stator lead should be open to ground and there should be around .2 0r .4 ohms between the two yellow leads, if i recall correctly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried both AC and DC just to be safe, and still got nothing. And i also do not thing that my Ohms were that high i have it written in the shop I will get back to you on that one. But i do think it was awfully low.

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
Questions about electrical problems with the 98 ST2 come up monthly. By now most of us veterans to the Ducati ST world know that the 98 ST2 had specific electrical issues which were addressed in later model years.

Is there a definitive source to answer these periodic questions to which we can refer noobies or post up as a sticky?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I Just bought a 98 ST2 as my first bike. It had a few minor problems, or so I though, but after digging into it I found more and more. The main thing I am working on now is the charging system. I have checked the stator and have 0 Volts coming out while it is running, But there is continuity between the plug wires, so I know there is not a break anywhere. The Stator looks in good condition but that doesn't always mean it's good. I'm to the point of my knowledge where the next step would to be to purchase a new stator, but I would like to exhaust all my options first. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
You should have 18-20vac per 1K RPM when testing at the stator. Set your multi-meter to the 200vac range and connect the + lead to one yellow wire from the stator and the - lead to another yellow wire. You need to test the bike when it is cold as well as when it is hot (120 deg. F and 200 deg. F). Test each stator lead at idle and then at 5K RPM. You will need to do this on all 3 yellow stator leads. Do this directly at each stator lead (unhooked from the electrical system). Make sure you write down your findings for each test that is done.

IE:

_ vac with 120 deg. F engine temp @ 1.2RPM
_ vac with 120 deg. F engine temp @ 5K RPM
_ vac with 200 deg. F engine temp @ 1.2K RPM
_ vac with 200 deg. F engine temp @ 5K RPM

If you know for certain that your the stator output is low when it is cold, you may want to test it again with another meter just to be sure. If both test the same, low, you will need a new stator assembly. Obtain this information and we will go from there.

Send me a PM.

·
Registered
209 Posts
i think he has the dreaded single phase 2 yellow wire stator. around about 40 vac? all those #s are available via the search function. like bill said there is plenty of info available. by the way my 2 wire stator on my st2 was just replaced under recall with part # 26540121a which was shown as $162. i checked that price on the ducati omaha site and they showed the same price.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have the 2 wire stator, lucky me. DR1445 can you tell me what year your bike is? Because ducati is telling me that there is 3 open service bulletins on my bike but because of it being a 98 and the mileage on it that they will not fix it. That coming from ducati in Charlotte, NC. I just got in touch with Ducati in California. A guy named TJ there is helping me out a lot more and doing some research on my problems for me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
mine is a 98 st2 and it had 4100 miles on it when i purchased it and presented it to the local dealer. the service guy had to chase down the the ducati staff guy to get the details and the final ok. i had paper work that showed the bike had been into ducati service areas as late as 2003, so they could not say that the machine had not been into a ducati service center. i talked to another dealer in the state and he gave me the same song and dance you heard.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
A decent Ducati shop uses your VIN # with their on-line database, and should be able to see if there are any open "campains" on the bike. Basically silent recalls. Do a search in this ST area...this has been quantified too many times already!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I called them here in charlotte wikth my VIN and thats how I found out about the 3 what they called Service Bulletins. I am still trying to work something out with Ducati in Cali Since Here they said they couldn't do it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so it looks like ducati is not going to fix there problems.... does anyone know where i can order a stator and maybe a rectifier regulator... for a moderate price?

·
Registered
209 Posts
ducati replaced my stator with part# 26540121a i think it was round about $170 when i checked the part # at ducati omaha online. the other parts they replaced were,
48410291b fuel deflector [good time to change the intank fuel hoses]
71311242a spacer for the stator, for added stator cooling.
for the voltage rr the choices are oem, ricks, [he can also rebuild your stator], some threads state the later 3 phase will work, or i also found this one [http://www.psep.biz/store/ducati_motorcycle_voltage_regulator.htm] which says 3 phase but shows 2 wires ala a 2 phase for around $70. might be worth giving them a call. others say a honda rr from the early bikes will work. search and google.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
does any one have a picture or know what the updated spacer looks like for this thing. I cant find one anywhere and i dont see paying 170 for it if i can modify mine to be/do the same thing,

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
does any one have a picture or know what the updated spacer looks like for this thing. I cant find one anywhere and i dont see paying 170 for it if i can modify mine to be/do the same thing,
I think there is a picture of one on the ST Owners Yahoo! group. I'll go see if I can find it in a few minutes.

Edit - The only one I saw a picture of leads me to believe it was modified and is not OEM.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Edit - The only one I saw a picture of leads me to believe it was modified and is not OEM.
This is the picture I saw. As I stated, though, I am not sure if it is an OEM spacer or one that has been modified. I couldn't tell by the way the picture was titled.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Time to buy

Ok guys well it is now time to buy me a new stator ive been looking around just not sure where my best deal is going to come from. Any ideas?

·
Registered
209 Posts
check your local dealer pricing for the part# i gave you. it should be around $170, by the time you find a used one [if possible] and have it rebuilt with shipping and all you would be close to the 170.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok so the new stator arrived and has been put in place. all seems to be working well... we better at least. currently i have these results....

directly off the charger.... 12.4 V
idle...12.2-12.3
@2500 rpm... 12.7-12.9 V
@3500 rpm... 13.4v ish

do these number seem right.

also does anyone have any idea as to how to check the RR? ie the output voltage at each location?

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
ok so the new stator arrived and has been put in place. all seems to be working well... we better at least. currently i have these results....

directly off the charger.... 12.4 V
idle...12.2-12.3
@2500 rpm... 12.7-12.9 V
@3500 rpm... 13.4v ish

do these number seem right.

also does anyone have any idea as to how to check the RR? ie the output voltage at each location?
Have you modified the mounting so the stator is in the air stream? From what I have read, part of the problem was that the stator would overheat. Mounting it in the air stream helps keep it cool.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Have you modified the mounting so the stator is in the air stream? From what I have read, part of the problem was that the stator would overheat. Mounting it in the air stream helps keep it cool.
Bill -
I thought it was the regulator/rectifier that needed to be moved into the airstream. Isn't the stator an internal component that gets fried from lack of oil?
Bill W.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts