Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some guy on another forum put down the Ducati ST vs his ZZR Kawasaki. I really don't know enough about the ZZR to comment. Someone was asking for input on a sport tour bike that is fun in the hills. Thats what started it all. I think its the ZZR1200 or 1300. He contends the ZZR is basically superior to the Ducati ST. Any comebacks on this subject?

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bbohnhoff said:
ZZR= riding appliance
ST= a willing partner in transporting you to another place- with character and style.
Excellent

·
Registered
286 Posts
The ZZR is a very old, outdated design. Big, heavy, may still be carburated. I know that the gauge package is all big, clunky analog stuff. The "factory" Givi bags are simply slapped on as an afterthought, and they look really stupid.

Kawasaki really isn't in the sport touring market. They have the Concourse, which hasn't changed in 10 or so years, and the ZZR 1200. The Concourse is more tour than sport, so to go after the sporting end of the market, they took the ZZR1200 which competes against the Honda CBR1100XX and Suzuki Hyabusa, slapped aftermarket bags on it, and called it sport touring. It's not terribly comfortable as you would imagine, but goes like snot in a straight line.

Contrast that to the Ducati ST-series which takes a superbike engine and wraps it into a true sport touring package.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I compared the bikes on the Motorcycle USA web site:
ZZR1200: 597 lbs wet, 5.1 inches ground clearance
ST4s: 479 lbs wet, 6.5 inches ground clearance
Plus we get a longer warranty, that's a touchy one though, some may say Duc owners need it.

I would wager the ST's cg is lower also, that is going to mean a lot in the twisties.

I'd happily ride either though, but hey it's a Ducati, and that is where my $'s are going. Different tastes for different folks right...

raw squid vs fried calimari
Yoko Ono vs Mira Sorvino
Scion vs Ferrari
ZZR1200 vs Ducati ST

·
Registered
588 Posts
Why be...

...hung up on what anyone else thinks. Hell... if a Vespa scooter puts a smile on your face... that's all that matters. As the saying goes opinions are like... well you know.

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mcd said:
...hung up on what anyone else thinks. Hell... if a Vespa scooter puts a smile on your face... that's all that matters. As the saying goes opinions are like... well you know.

I'm a superbike owner and got into it on another thread where a buddy of mine posted he was considering buying the Honda ST1300. He asked for peoples opinions about not only the Honda but other bikes as well. I voted for the Ducati ST and Honda, but another guy stated his ZZR was what my friend should buy for bla bla reasons. I got into it with him because he turned into a smart ass, that is why I posted here what I did. I needed some ammunition. Thanks everyone.

Him buying the Honda got me thinking again about a long distance bike, a bike that can rip in the hills too. I think the Ducati ST can do that, right? Which model comes with the Ohlins shock?

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
John said:
Him buying the Honda got me thinking again about a long distance bike, a bike that can rip in the hills too. I think the Ducati ST can do that, right?
I suspect that is why most of us own ST's, epsecially those of us who only want to own one bike which (almost) does it all.

Attachments

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Bill_Anderson said:
I suspect that is why most of us own ST's, epsecially those of us who only want to own one bike which (almost) does it all.
If I could only own one bike, it would be my SS, not my ST.

Tom

·
Registered
392 Posts
I doubt he has never riden a Duc, probably never ever seen one in person. Like was said before, the Kawasaki is simply an appliance, sterile, and some people like that.

·
Site Sponsor & Senior Member
193 Posts
imo, these are two different motorcycles.
ZZR1200, is from what I read- too much sport for the:
Honda St1300, Yamaha FJR1300, and one of the Bmr's crowd.
Then, too much girth for the DucST's, Honda VFR's, Triumph ST's crowd.

Compared to Ducati St Series,
100lbs heaver? thats 20%!
Thats 100lbs extra the ZZR owners gets to start, stop, and turn, every turn.

ZZR would be able to stretch it's legs up Ca. HWY 96,
but turn off at Happy Camp,CA. and head over to 199 & Cave Junction?
The lighter, shorter, Ducati would be gone, opps.
What I meant to say was, it would be a lot less work on the Ducati to keep the same pace as the ZZR on a tighter more techincal road.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Like comparing an apple to an orange.

:)

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone. I have what I need now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a good buddy with a ZZR; nice bike. But we were both surprised when we did some roll-ons. In 4th, 3rd or 2nd gear, my ST4s would run dead even with his bike until I shifted (hitting my redline around 9500-10000). He would then gain about one bike length on me since he was able to hang onto the gear a bit longer due to a redline around 11500. Then the bikes would continue dead even until the next gear change. His bike is bone stock but dynoed at about 140hp, mine has DP slip-ons and an FIM ECU, no dyno #'s. No question his bike is quicker... but not by much, esp when you consider the extra 168cc's and 4 vs 2 cyl. And, of course, in the twisties the Duc has the advantage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts