Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My ST4s loves to surprise me with it's capabilities. Every time I look at getting another bike, it reminds me how capable it is and what I'd be losing if I put it out to pasture.

Riding around all day yesterday in the rain and 40's F with not even a hint of snow threat, ended up at band rehearsal for a few hours last night. Apparently the local meteorologists didn't quite nail the forecast yesterday and we got surprised by about 4 inches of snow by the time I got out of rehearsal!

I debated on getting a ride back to my house, but there was no safe place to stash the bike for the night so what could possibly go wrong riding it home??? I only had a little over a mile to go, but man... definitely not snow tires! The bike squirmed around a bit, but actually did better than I expected and made it home without dropping it.

Now I can truly call myself a 4 season rider and I'll never doubt the ST again!

·
Registered
750 Posts
You're a better man than I am! Nothing stuck to the ground out here, but it flurried for most of the day. It was pretty to watch, and we didn't have to shovel any of it.

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
Just stay away from ice. Snow is not such a biggie.
I rode down a twisty pass in a light snow storm for about 10 miles on my Gilera Saturno long ago. Even the trucks passed me on the corners, but it was doable.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Interesting experience, no doubt. Many years ago, I rode my old 78 Honda 750 down from Trail Ridge Road in CO during a snowstorm. Educational to say the least. To make it more interesting, met a guy up there with another 750 but a nearly bald front tire. We rode down together. He did well. Was more than a bit of snow on the road until we got to lower elevations and it turned to rain. Not something I would like to repeat if possible.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Having trouble getting my photos to show up, let's try this:

You know, there's something very beautiful about these photos especially the first one. It's almost like they're black & white pictorials of diametrically opposed elements, shapes, and lighting.

Many years ago I rode into southwestern CO about 80 miles from Colorado Springs and encountered a blizzard near Silvercliffe, CO. At the point the road was showing a distinct glare due to icing so I pulled over to admire Mother Nature's temperament and snap a few photos to capture the moment before turning around. At about the same time two good ol' boys in an old Chevy truck stopped to ask if I needed any help. I told them "no," I was just enjoying the moment. They gave me an odd look and moved on. You had to be there.....

Thanks, VaDuc for posting these beautiful photos!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know, there's something very beautiful about these photos especially the first one. It's almost like they're black & white pictorials of diametrically opposed elements, shapes, and lighting.

Many years ago I rode into southwestern CO about 80 miles from Colorado Springs and encountered a blizzard near Silvercliffe, CO. At the point the road was showing a distinct glare due to icing so I pulled over to admire Mother Nature's temperament and snap a few photos to capture the moment before turning around. At about the same time two good ol' boys in an old Chevy truck stopped to ask if I needed any help. I told them "no," I was just enjoying the moment. They gave me an odd look and moved on. You had to be there.....

Thanks, VaDuc for posting these beautiful photos!
Thanks! I definitely got some strange looks on my way home that night!

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
411 Posts
Mid May last spring shipped ST3s to Edmonton and rode back and forth through Rockies getting all major passes before heading east and home .... anyway coming down out of Rogers Pass which at the the summit was snowing , then coming down hail , then a mix of rain and slush .... I meet a guy on Big Harley on his way up .... it is -6C on mountain and dropping and this guy is heading up with slippers on , like father knows best slippers .... those guys out there are rugged ! .... he did turn around as it wasn't long that I could hear his bike just before he went by in a hurry .... PR4's worked great in the white stuff for me !
Craig

1 - 9 of 9 Posts