Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, this is my first post and i wanted it to be a contribute so here is one of the mods that i have done to my ST4s.

The problem started when the chain adjusters were loosing their position all the time.
This really started to get really frustrating since i was adjusting the chain everytime i got back from a ride.

So long story short, i have talked to my local mechanic here and he suggested the japanese way. Many of you you may find it ugly but for me i don't mind at all since it works perfectly.

See attachments.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Welcome, and interesting idea.

One thing I'll say though. If your chain was loosening up every ride and you feel it was because the adjusters were loosing their position, then you did not have your rear axle nut tight enough! That nut is supposed to be 80Nm and should hold the rear wheel in place without the adjusters. The adjuster bolts are only tightened to 8Nm to keep them from falling out.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Were you using a torque wrench on the axle bolt and also on the adjusters afterwards ?

I can honestly say that although I have had a loose adjuster bolt (s) and even a damaged plate as a result it did not result in movement of the axle...

Nevertheless your modification is worthwhile for those who might be concerned about this possibility.

Welcome to the forum and dont be so shy next time.

Was typing the above as SS904 posted !

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for the replies guys.
Honestly i never used a torque meter for this (although i tend to use on other occasions), but the same problem was happening on both ST4s that my local workshop guy has and when i mention him the problem he said that he is already thinking of a solution and told me about this mod. So i guess im not alone on this. Kind of unlikely all 3 bikes including mine to have loose axle nut! Also a guy i know with an S4 was having the same problem.

I don't really believe that without the adjusters a proper tighten nut will hold axle in place the time you open up full throttle especially with a passenger, fully loaded and a 41 sprocket on the rear.
I remember the adjusters on my 999 06, was so perfect, not a chance of the axle moving from its place. Not like this.

What can i say, problem solved now and i always make sure that axle nut is tight enough but im going to test it with a torque wrench next time and watch for 80Nm.

Welcome to the forum and dont be so shy next time.
What makes you say that? :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
One thing about this mod is that it solves the problem of the cover plate bolt coming loose and letting the cover plate rotate and trash things - I think there have been a few posts about that happening. I'm wondering if you couldn't do a similar mod using the stock slider plate. I don't have the bike apart so I'm not sure if I'm remembering right - but doesn't the cover plate bolt thread into the slider? If so, you could just get a length of threaded rod and mount it solidly into the slider (epoxy and a dowel pin) - it would have the same effect as George's mod - it'd stick out in the back and you could put an aircraft nut on it, or a nut plus aircraft nut as in the photos of his mod.

I'd still want to torque the axle down real solidly though - I wouldn't want either the stock slider or George's mod to take the load when you hit the throttle because that axle bolts weren't quite tight enough...

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Kind of unlikely all 3 bikes including mine to have loose axle nut! Also a guy i know with an S4 was having the same problem.
Never said loose axle nut, just not tight enough. If none of you are using a torque wrench on that nut, then yes, I can believe it. All I have to go on is my own experience. I tighten the axle nut to 80Nm, and the adjuster bolts to 8Nm, and I have never had a problem. The chain stays at the tension I set it at for a very long time. And the adjuster nuts have never backed out on me (7 years plus with this bike). If the chain loosens, it's due to chain and sprocket wear. I honestly have to adjust the thing maybe once or twice a riding season. I normally put in 6 or 7K a year these days.

If the mod works for you, cool. If anything, it will keep those adjusters from backing out. Some have had a problem with that.

·
Ducati Designs
1,124 Posts
I found that the stock setup worked well provided everything was clean and free of any grease or oil, particularly inside the swing arm and on the slider sides. Any lubricant at all on the sliding surfaces and it would move when torqued.

pg
DD

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
+1. Same here. I had issues with grease inside the swing arm from the PO. The chain would increase in tension while I was torquing the adjuster bolts.

Once thoroughly cleaned out, I had no more issues. The OEM design isn't the best, but is okay if the chain lube isn't globbed on.

Have a good one.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,072 Posts
Nice mod ducapista. It may not look as pretty but I'd trust it alot more.

Here's a little dirt bike mechanic tip for tightening the axel nut without anything moving. Take your 12mm wrench and put it between the sprocket and chain. Roll the wheel gently so as to run the wrench up into the sprocket/chain which will pull the chain tight and pull the axel up tight against the adjusters on both sides. Just hold the wheel tight while tightening the axel nut enough to hold it in place before finishing up with a torque wrench.

·
Registered
470 Posts
clean arse end

My god does a garage queen own that bike, it doesn't look like it's been ridden only polished.

·
Registered
116 Posts
After you adjust the chain and torque the axle, the chain adjuster nuts are not really tight; they are barely snug. I go gack to them and tighten them up. I can generally get about another turn on the nut. Go easy though as you don't want to overtighten and risk snapping the adjuster bolt. You are just snugging down the nut. That will cure your ills.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
After you adjust the chain and torque the axle, the chain adjuster nuts are not really tight; they are barely snug. I go gack to them and tighten them up. I can generally get about another turn on the nut. Go easy though as you don't want to overtighten and risk snapping the adjuster bolt. You are just snugging down the nut. That will cure your ills.
Thats why they have a torque rating.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts