Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Folks.

I was surprised to finally see 5qt jugs of Mobil1 show up on Amazon with Prime shipping nonetheless. M1 15w-50 5qt is much more than Walmart right now, but I expect to see that come in line soon. 5qt of 0w-20 for my truck is the exact same as Walmart without the sketchy visit to the store.

https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-15W-50-Advanced-Synthetic-Motor/dp/B0793LB3TX

Have a good one.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'll up the ante on your cheapness Tone - Full syn Valvoline 20W-50, JASO at 6.67 qt. I can find it at my local Wallyworld. This stuff has improved my shifting noticeably after switching from Rotella.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-Motorcycle-Full-Synthetic-20W-50-Motor-Oil-1-Quart/16777819?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=672&adid=22222222227010278389&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40839618872&wl4=pla-78652527752&wl5=9013214&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=16777819&wl13=672&veh=sem

Scott

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I am a cheap ass too......Total Hi Performance 4T Racing. Full Synthetic. Works out to $5.70 USD per qrt.........

·
Registered
543 Posts
Reactions: tonered

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Agreed. Someone claimed it works well but shifting suffers compared to Motul.

·
Registered
212 Posts
IME motorcycle JASO certified oil seems to make a most difference on tranny operation. Ive tried using good automobile syn oil in the past but shifting seems to be more notchy. JASO oils are also formulated for wet clutches, but I never could tell any difference on clutch operation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I could never tell a difference in shifting between oils, but I do notice a difference in shifting after a 1,000mi or so regardless of oil.

Rotella T6 5w-40 versus M1 15w-50, the engine starts and idles a noticeably slower with the M1. No big deal to me.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I've could never tell a difference in shifting between oils, but I do notice a difference in shifting after a 1,000mi or so regardless of oil.

Rotella T6 5w-40 versus M1 15w-50, the engine starts and idles a noticeably slower with the M1. No big deal to me.

Have a good one.

Same with me on the shifting. Funny on the Aprilia I have just tried the expensive oil and shifting is real bad. So clunky when hot and at standstill so back to cheap ass oil for that one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
153 Posts
Car oil will always be cheaper. I guess I don't have much experience using car oils with the additives with the exception of using Rotella T. In the back of my mind I always feel like the European cars and bikes are more picky...but have no proof or validation of that

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
Just some info from someone who see's oil damage.
If the oil is not up to the task the #1 place for damage is in the gearbox, you will not see it unless you remove the cylinders and look inside. It is caused by the oil not being up to the loads placed on it by the transmission and you end up essentially welding gears together and then tearing them apart causing metal loss on the gear tooth.

That said this does NOT mean "cheap" oil is bad oil just that price as a only consideration may not be best for your bike, without testing there is little way to know if you are doing damage. The dealership I worked at used to use Amalie XLO diesel oil as our break in and "cheap" oil, we had many race and street bikes where we were back inside to see that it did no harm. These days I use Shell Rotella T and have had similar results. Most Diesel grade oils will be up to the task for a unit construction transmission as they have high sheer loads in Diesels.

You may find one that has additives that do NOT play with wet clutches but the ones I have tested have all been fine.

We also used to sell a synthetic blend and stopped selling it because it was NOT holding up under hard use, we stopped selling it and as of now I do not think there is much if any benefit to buying blends. Regular dyno oil or synthetics for me. Not all Synthetics are good either I had a race bike that used a purple synthetic and you could smell burnt oil from about 10 feet away because the oil did not like the heat.

I do not believe that regular dyno oil lasts as well as good synthetics miles wise but that does not mean it is not a good application for some. There are far more oils out there that I do not have any experience than oils I do so everyone is kind of running oils based on personal experience. I know a few I trust 100% and a few I do not trust at all. I am always happy when I find someone running something else because I can add them to the experience list but first I need to tear their motor down.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I agree with your assessment, Eric. I have been using Rotella synth for awhile now with zero issues, and my bikes shift so nice...Will

1 - 15 of 15 Posts