Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Each year the Yahoo Ducati ST owners group holds its Madness rally. The name dates back to the site of the first rally at Torrey, Utah in 2003. That rally was called "Reefer Madness" due to the close proximity of the Capitol Reef National Park. My last Madness rally was 2008 in Gold Beach, OR, so I was looking forward to a meeting friends I had not seen in four years.

After spending two days with my parents in Vancouver, WA., I met up with Paul Geller, Mark Turbo, and Colin McIntosh near Portland, OR. PG and the Turbonator are long time riding buddies who live in the Portland area. Colin lives in SE British Columbia and was in the neighborhood after a four day ride with another of our PNW riding groups. Our destination was the Tamarack Resort outside of Donnelly, Idaho, located south of McCall on Idaho Hwy. 55. For the next three days we were one step ahead of rain and snow as we rode east.

Lunch was at Molly B's in Tygh Valley, OR. Tygh Valley is hard to find and Molly B's is even harder. Colin, who rides more miles in the US than kilometers in his native Canada, had eaten there before.

#1:L-R: Me, PG, and Turbo at Molly B's.

#2: Next stop was for ice cream at the near ghost town of Shaniko. The ice cream parlor was closed, so we rode on. That is Colin on the right.

#3: Shaniko post office.

#4-5: We spent the first night out at one of our favorite restored hotels, the Historic Hotel Prairie in Prairie City, OR, located 13 miles west of John Day on US 26.

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
#6: The next morning we ate our traditional breakfast a few doors down from the hotel at Chuck's Little Diner....

#7-8: followed by our traditional photo stop at the viewpoint on US 26 outside of Prairie City on the climb up to Dixie Summit. There was fresh snow on the Strawberry Mountains south of John Day.

#9: We stopped at the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center on Oregon Hwy. 86 outside of Baker City on our way towards Hells Canyon. Lookng back west, there was fresh snow on Elkhorn Ridge of the Blue Mtns.

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We stopped at the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center on Oregon Hwy. 86 outside of Baker City on our way towards Hells Canyon. Lookng back west, there was fresh snow on Elkhorn Ridge of the Blue Mtns.

#10: map

#11: The Seven Devils. I climbed two of these peaks when I was in college.

#12-14: More views looking east.

#15: Fire lookout on a far ridge across Hells Canyon.

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We spent the night in Enterprise, where we ate dinner at the famous Terminal Gravity Brew Pub along with some other Mad Ones who were taking a similar route to Tamarack.

#16: The next day we followed another tradition by having pie at Boggan's Oasis at the bottom of Rattlesnake Grade.

#17: Looking north at the start of the Rattlesnake Grade on the north side of the canyon of the Grande Ronde River. The grade behind us on the south side of the canyon is Buford Grade, although most people refer to both grades collectively as Rattlesnake Grade. We are standing in Washington. The Oregon state line is south of us about 2/3 of the way back up the Buford Grade.

#18: We had picked up two more Mad Ones at Enterprise. PG had never ridden the old Spiral Highway up the Lewiston Hill, so four of us rode up it before heading south on US 95 towards Grangevile.

#19-20: Panoramic shots of the Spiral Highway.

#21: Looking south, the river in the foreground is the Clearwater. The river on the right is the Snake, which separates Idaho from Washington. The confluence of the two rivers is the lowest spot in Idaho. Clarkston, WA. is on the right side of the Snake River. I went to junior high and high school on the left side of the Snake in Lewiston, ID. The river separated my parents from a lot of $$$$$ as I had to pay out of state tuition my first three years at Washington State University, located about 20 miles north in Pullman.

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We spent two days at the Tamarack Resort. I did not do any riding, as I have previously ridden most of the good roads in the area and I had three days of riding to get back home. Nobody rode one of the days as it was snowing and/or raining the entire day.

#22: The wife of one of our members manages rentals at the resort and secured the use of this home as a gathering point for those attending the rally. The owner owns two or three more like it in other parts of the US and did not make it here this year. Nice to see how the 1%-ers live.

#23: View of Cascade Lake looking east from the driveway.

#24: Ducati Mike rode up from California. I had not seen him on four years.

I lived in Northern Idaho/Eastern Washington for several years, so I led the three of us over some back roads I knew on the ride back home.

#25-26: Whitebird Hill viewpoint on US 95 south of Grangeville.

#27: Crossing the Couer d'Alene River on Idaho Hwy. 3 east of Couer d'Alene.

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We spent the night in Couer d'Alene, the headed towards Metaline Falls, WA. to look for a dam which is going to be removed in the future. I took several photos of it and two other dams, which I'll post on another thread.

#28: Sullivan Lake east of Metaline Falls.

#29: PG and Turbo.

#30: Me.

#31: The road along the lake comes out to the main highway very close to Canada.

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I broke off from PG and Turbo at Colville, WA. and spent my last night on the road at the Waterville Hotel in Waterville. I like these old, restored hotels. The manager is a motorcycle enthusiast who is restoring some old motorcyles, including a Bultaco or two, in a garage next to the hotel.

#32: Front of the Hotel from US 2.

#33-39: Interior shots.

#40-41: Two old McCormick-Deering tractors are parked outside.

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My last stop was Skykomish, WA., about an hour from home on US 2. "Sky" is where steam locomotives were once exchanged for electric locomotives for the climb up to Stevens Pass on the old Great Northern Railroad. The town is a Superfund site and has changed alot since I last visited it about 4-5 years ago.

#42: An old, vacant hotel which has not been restored.

#43: Looking east on the climb up to Cascade Tunnel on Stevens Pass.

I hope you enjoyed the tour.

Attachments

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Wow Bill! Thanks for making me so jealous. :)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Nice Pics and Commentary Bill. I have added a few.

2250 miles in 7 days.

After riding up I-80 and north to the Oregon border, the next day rode east to Denio, Nevada. Cool Chopper.

Then on to Burns, John Day, and stopped in Baker City, OR. Harley gathering in town. Taken from our window at the old Geiser Grand Hotel. We had the Suite, where they say, Teddy Roosevelt stayed.

Then up the old Oregon Trail, Hells Canyon. Beautiful twisty road.

On to our destination, Tamarack Resort in Idaho. Woke up on Saturday, its snowing! Not a good day for golf!

A foxy visitor to our cabin.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts