Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been discussed before, if so , please point me to results.
I am looking for mileage ran on 2 valve vs. 4 valves ST motors
(without teardowns)
other than maybe rocker replacement, clutch, starter, or maintanence items, etc.
What kind of engine life are we to ecpect? 50/75/100K ? THANKS PS, I saw the ST at Barber Motosports Museum that ran cross country a few times , can't remember what odo said?

·
Registered
84 Posts
US Desmo Leanings (Fall 06) had an article a while back on a 124k 900SS. Check out usdesmo.com for the issue. With regular maintenance these things last a long long time.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
My 04-ST4s has 46,500+ miles with no problems. Gary Eagan put 100,000+ miles on an ST4 which Ducati loaned to him to see if it could be done.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Maybe we could do poll to see what the ranges are at present. Just run the poll for a month or set period and see what we get worldwide. We would also need to define it into miles or kilometres.

28,000kms or 17,400 miles for mine

Craig

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
52,000 on a '90 Paso (water cooled, 2V) and still flyin'

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
Just clicked over 29k. I bought the ST last July with 20,800mi on the ticker.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
688 Posts
20,000 miles on mine. I'd have twice that number if I could get away as often as I wanted. I'm stuck here at work too much.

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
20,000 miles on mine. I'd have twice that number if I could get away as often as I wanted. I'm stuck here at work too much.
You know the answer to that: get that Duc dirty in the commute. ;)

Have a good one.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just 24K miles on mine and it's running like a champ.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
If this is the official ST mileage poll: My 1998 ST2 is sitting 49,5xx miles, and runs excellent (always has, for that matter!). Soon to have another 2K or so miles unless I sell it first. See my ad in the Classified section !!

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
One reason for longevity: Not sure if they advertise this anymore or not, but back in the Pantah years (1979 ish), Ducati started using Nicasil coating on the cylinder bores. I think they mimicked either Moto Morini, or Moto Guzzi. It’s a combination of Nickel and Silicon, and I think it might be a chemical vapor deposition process, along with a thermal anneal. What is gives you is a cylinder that doesn’t wear. So don’t let anyone “bore out” your cylinders, because you’ll lose this surface treatment coating (unless you MUST bore out for some reason…).

And they started using hardened valve seats back then, too, as compared to the earlier bevel driven cam engines. I recall a shop that did my Pantah heads in the early '80s...he was really pissed because he consomed too many valve seat grinding stones on the seats. Normally, I guess one stone lasted for several older, softer seats...

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
45,000 Mls and just had her dynoed with the PC3 and she is still putting out 113bhp/75lbft at the back wheel so guess cant be much wrong with her :))

·
Registered
84 Posts
If this is the official ST mileage poll: My 1998 ST2 is sitting 49,5xx miles, and runs excellent (always has, for that matter!). Soon to have another 2K or so miles unless I sell it first. See my ad in the Classified section !!
I checked out the ad; you call the ST4s "basically the same machine" as the ST2. I think there is a world of difference between the 916 and 996 motors, to say nothing of the farkles the ST4s has stock. But I am sure you know that too given that you are upgrading. . .

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I guess I should have specified: Same looks, ergonomics, luggage, but almost 50% more ponies, and best suspension +wheels...

What I was trying to point out is that, for me, there's no parting with the ST2 / ST4 type machine .

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
I reached 72,000 miles on my '02 ST4s before a main bearing in the bottom end started whining! Engine required a rebuild with new seals, bearing and pistons. Currently on 73,000 miles now and hoping to go another 71,000 miles before another rebuild! :D

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
I reached 72,000 miles on my '02 ST4s before a main bearing in the bottom end started whining! Engine required a rebuild with new seals, bearing and pistons. Currently on 73,000 miles now and hoping to go another 71,000 miles before another rebuild! :D
Way to go :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Wow, that's love! Considering the rebuild must have cost triple what a bike with 72k miles is worth.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts