Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2006 ST3 with only 3k miles on it and it already has me pissed off. WTF is up with the front fender fork clamps? They are plastic clamps wrapped around the forks that hold the front fender on. They have imbedded nuts on the backside but some dumbass at the factory decided red loctite would ensure the screws never come out! Out of the four three are spinning the nut in the plastic. Looks like the only way is to cut them off and buy new ones for $70 shipped! Anyone else have this issue and have a better solution? Arrrrgh! I sold my Cagiva becasue I thought it was a pain to work on! now this!!!!

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
887 Posts
Wow, you sure seem to get upset over the little stuff. The bike was used, maybe you should withhold your blame from the factory.

Never had an issue with the front fender mounts on either of my 2002 ST4s's. Maybe you should replace the offending parts and move on with your life.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Jeff, you are not alone. My 06' had the very same factory solution to keep the screws intact, not sure if blue Loctite or reaction of dissimilar metals. I discovered the issue when attempting to remove the front fender, but soon found the simple solution of not removing the fender when removing the front wheel. Sorry, I do not have a solution, the fender appears solid and when forced to remove the fender one day I may find the solution, maybe sand, maybe a drill. I have now finished two sets of valve adjustments and assorted other maintenance procedures, these were all straight forward with only the occasional poorly thought out mechanical solution to raise the frustration level, actually I was surprised at times with the ease of working on the bike. But coming from a BMW that was flawless for 70k with little drama I am amazed on the complexities created with Ducati on simple things like removing the plastic (the engineer that specified the "well nuts" for Ducati should be either but in the janitor force or required to remove the plastic for a month to appreciate the poor design application). Some have had good luck, others have not, many varied offered solutions, the bottom line for me is why make something so difficult when there are easy and cheap solutions that actually work.

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
The factory does not use loctite on those, must have been the previous owner.

I use grease.

Remove the bolts (drill them out if required), and use new nuts. Problem solved.

Tom

·
Registered
69 Posts
"Wow I can feel your pain"

I made the mistake not getting the "S" and 2 weeks after I bought my bike brand new I imported the Racetech Gold valves and heavier springs from Rick at Cogent Dynamics to fix up the spongy front end before I ended up over the handlebars.

Yes I started pulling the front end apart at home when I discovered the first of many red lines of superstrength "Ducati Loctite" and as you did wound the heads around in the plastic of the fender clamps,and of course they are not a stocked item at my Ducati shop so the wait begun.

As a fitter by trade I still can't fiqure out why in plastic and on such an item.

"Becarefull on the rear fender"

If you ever take the rear fender off like I did to put a carbon one on, there are these stainless steel threaded inserts that go into the top of the swingarm,and you guessed it they have the "Ducati Loctite" on them and guess what happened, the insert spun around in the swingarm because the Loctite was to strong.

Solution

I had to cut the old fender off then drill the insert out and hire the special tool for a day $50.00 and replace the inserts and start again with NO BLOODY DUCATI LOCTITE.

DO YOU ALL FEEL MY PAIN

·
Registered
69 Posts

I use grease.

Remove the bolts (drill them out if required), and use new nuts. Problem solved.

Tom
That's the problem you can't get them off once this happens without cutting them off.

And yes the factory does use loctite because my bike was brand new straight out of the box with me standing beside it.

And if you have ever ordered a genuine Ducati bolt like I had to under warranty the line of Red Loctite is already on the bolt in a semi solidified form just sitting waiting there for the next sucker to come along.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for thr replies. Frustration is over the loctite more than the design. And yes it was loctite from the factory the original owner never had the front fender off. This bike is actually decent to work on compared to my old Cagiva, but not as good as some others I have had. Wellnuts may work fine most of the time but they are a pain if the rubber deteriorates and just a cost savings solution from the factory. Other than front suspension it's a great bike. I didn't get the "S" either knowing every bike I've owned has had stock suspension, but this time it is a bit worse than most stock suspensions. I will be sending forks out this winter. Thanks again for the replies, it's nice to get good support from a forum.

Jeff

·
Registered
361 Posts
Mine were frozen, I damaged the plastic rings removing the screws and the nuts spun in the plastic, I used White plastic repair epoxy to reset the nuts, sanded and filed, looks like new.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hey I just say a set of these on ebay or at Gothm cycles way cheaper than 70.00 search around an save some coin

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Ducati does do some strange things. I removed my instrument panel last week to fix a wild tach (cleaning the connections and dielectric grease worked), two bolts hold the main panel on. They are mushroom shaped with an allen head and apparently made of aluminum. Of course one was frozen and rounded out. I used vice grips and threw them away and used old fashioned bolts with a piece of rubber hose to fill the hole size, better than ever!
But I suppose I did add .01 grams to the bike's weight.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yup i have one loose front fender bolt but trying to remove it is impossible. I figured it is never going to get any looser as it is seized. Probably not tightened properly in the factory. The other three will do the work until I have to pull the fender off....but.....

Have you ever tried to remove the rear shock on the ABS model!! You have to remove or try and move the ABS unit to get the compression dampener remote resoivoir through the frame. Have you ever tried to remove the ABS unit? Trust me its a big PIA so everyone check your connection point at the shock for remote adjuster. Mine came loose after 14000kms causing me to lose the nitrogen and oil from the shock. $200 later for a premature service.

I feel your pain!!

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Yeah, thanks like I needed another reason for my brain to freak me out when I am sleeping! (almost ready to close on first house, ugh) :)

·
7,733 Posts
Yup i have one loose front fender bolt but trying to remove it is impossible. I figured it is never going to get any looser as it is seized. Probably not tightened properly in the factory. The other three will do the work until I have to pull the fender off....but.....

Have you ever tried to remove the rear shock on the ABS model!! You have to remove or try and move the ABS unit to get the compression dampener remote resoivoir through the frame. Have you ever tried to remove the ABS unit? Trust me its a big PIA so everyone check your connection point at the shock for remote adjuster. Mine came loose after 14000kms causing me to lose the nitrogen and oil from the shock. $200 later for a premature service.

I feel your pain!!

I had a moment earlier this year where I cross threaded, *ever so slightly*, a bolt as I was remounting the front fender. That's never happened before, (no lock tight from the factory on my 2005 fender bolts BTW) but man, are those threads ever tough! I slipped a needle nose plier between the white sections that the bolt threads through and clamps and spread them as I turned the bolt and it came loose but not without some gnashing of teeth mixed with a few juicy explitives.

I'm not a abs fan for various reasons a major one being service concerns. Your frustation at the amount of effort it takes to simply service a shock on a abs equipped ST confirms my my opinion that less is more sometimes.

·
Registered
439 Posts
factory red loctite

Tom
Like others have found, the factory DID use red loctite on my bike.

I bought my '05 model bike a year ago, as a very clean Ducati Aus demo bike with 7000km up, so I would be very surprised if it had been tampered with. When I recently stripped my front end I also had 1 out of 4 plastic clips seized up, and destroyed it in the process. I luckily had a spare clip from a set of 916 forks.

Cheapo plastic clips like that are a sign of the Italian bikes of old, when switch gear was mickey-mouse.

We shouldn't be put off, just peeved, cos after all,we own Dukes for their soul...:abduct:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Wellnuts may work fine most of the time but they are a pain if the rubber deteriorates and just a cost savings solution from the factory.
I disagree, I think they're a great solution, though I'll admit I'm not entirely clear on which alternative you are comparing. The beauty of the Wellnuts is that they can be replaced and they don't rust to the degree that nuts welded to the bike can do. That's invaluable to someone like me who rides year round as road salt tends to cause fastener problems. I'm not going to argue that they can be a pain though I personally only have problems with the set that accept the vertical bolt through the top fairing. That's more an issue of it not being clear exactly how the fairing should be lined up which leaves me guessing on whether the hole lines up or not. A little penlight would solve that, but I never seem to have one handy when I need it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Funny, I too always had good luck with the well nuts on my st particularly. I think a lot of my "luck" was purchasing a stainless steel screw kit shortly after taking delivery of my bike. I have not had any problems with any of the well nuts on that st which has had all the plastic off numerous times.

However, my 749 is utilizing the stock screws and have had a tiny bit of trouble with some of those fasteners. I now use a dab of grease on the threads to alleviate any complications. So, I like well nuts!

Mark

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
My well nuts are all good. Plastics off lots of times and like Mark a dab of grease works wonders. Never ever had enough hassle to prompt the thougts of Dzuz fasteners etc. Maybe I'm lucky too. Still the blackboard ha smore minuses than pluses on the maintenance front but thats half the fun!

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,451 Posts
I remembered this thread when I went to pull the front fender off of my '02 748, so I cleaned the bolts and used WD-40 on the threads with the wheel off. I still wound up stripping two out of the four. I didn't see any locktite but it does appear that there was some galvanic corrosion going on between the two metals. The bike has right at 20k miles, is eight years old, and has seen a lot of rain. I think I may drill the threads out of the nut inserts, use longer bolts, and put a nut on the inside of the fender. This will require having to remove the front wheel any time I need to get the fender off, but at least I won't have to worry about stripping them, again. On the other hand, my wife's '98 ST2 didn't give me any problems when I swapped the fender out on it. I think it's lived a sheltered life, though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts