Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and greetings from the Sport Classic forum - I have a Sport classic and wish to fit the far better ST forks. My question is which ones are fully adjustable ie preload rebound and compression - ST2, ST3, and/or ST4.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Regards Nick

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
The ST2 and 3 forks are only adjustable for preload.

The ST4 forks are 3-way adjustable.

The ST4s and 3s forks are the same as the ST4 forks, but include TiN coating.

ST3s forks were all for ABS bikes, and have an ABS sensor mounting stalk on one of the legs (same for 4s ABS forks).

Not sure about axle diameter and caliper spacing for the pre '02 forks. After '02, they were all 25mm axle and 65mm caliper spacing.

·
Registered
439 Posts
ST and other recent Duke forks

Hi guys and greetings from the Sport Classic forum - I have a Sport classic and wish to fit the far better ST forks. My question is which ones are fully adjustable ie preload rebound and compression - ST2, ST3, and/or ST4.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Regards Nick
Nick - there are two threads on this forum re upgrade of forks from standard for pre-load only forks such as on my ST3, to the fully adjustable ones.

Elsewhere on the forum is a list of dimensions for many common ST and superbike forks.

One piece of wisdom I did not see in time relates to brake caliper spacing lugs. I bought 748/996 forks at a good price, only to find they had the 40mm caliper spacing, not the 65mm on my bike and also post ca'99 on the 748 and 996s etc. I don't know what your Sport Classic (nice bike!) has.

This is a very useful website, albeit for fitting upgraded forks to a Monster.

http://www.ducatisuite.com/monstersbkforks.html

I have a pic of ST3 forks and 999 forks for comparison in my gallery.

Feel free to PM me and I can discuss further, although I'm just a novice relying on info gained form this Forum and elsewhere.

cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
st2 got non adj forks about 2001 i think. all the adj forks are the same style internally and the same as all the other non superbike adj showas from '91 851 and 900ss onwards - you can tell as they don't have the long rebound adjuster rod going down into the damping cartridge, the rebound adj valve is at the fork cap. incidentally aprilia rs250 have the superbike style forks, but i kept forgetting to measure them externally. everything '98 or '99 (?, forget now) onward has 65mm caliper spacing.

realistically, if you get them set up right (springs, valving) you don't need to adjust anything unless your load is changing massively or you get a whole lot faster.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
98 and 99 ST2 were definitely fully adjustable. I was going to guess either 2000 or 01 when the forks got "value engineered". Similar for the rear. My 1998 rear Showa has a remote frame-mounted adj. reservoir for compression.

ST4 and ST4S had adj. forks. ST4S came with the TiNitride coating.

Ducati was "value eng." the ST2's to keep the price at $12K thru the years. One year, maybe 2000, they even yanked the luggage (offered as an option).

·
Registered
887 Posts
realistically, if you get them set up right (springs, valving) you don't need to adjust anything unless your load is changing massively or you get a whole lot faster.
In the winter when the roads tend to be cold and wet I prefer a bit less damping but the cold oil in the forks actually makes them feel stiff on the compression and slow on the rebound which is the opposite of what I want. So I adjust them seasonally to compensate.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Boring ST3 handlebar risers to fit 748/996 top clamp

I have ordered some 996 forks to fit to my ST3 with the 43mm 748/996 top clamp.

I would refer to go this route, rather than insert lowers and internals from the 996 forks into the ST3 top tubes.

I need to see what the Forum wisdom is on whether or not there's sufficient material in the standard bar fittings, to bore them out to 43mm or so to fit the new forks?

many thanks in advance,

Dave

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was disapointed with the front end on my 2004 ST4s.My 160 Lbs. could not get proper sag.Forks were harsh, not very compliant,and did not feel balanced with rear-this with many ,many different settings tried.I assumed the forks on ST4s were higher quality internals.After having 20mm cartridges installed(Traxxion Dynamics)the stuff that came out looked like cheaper components.Now my suspension is balanced front to rear,the forks are so plush yet controlled.Like brad black said proper springs & valves .Jim.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
st2 got non adj forks about 2001 i think. all the adj forks are the same style internally and the same as all the other non superbike adj showas from '91 851 and 900ss onwards - you can tell as they don't have the long rebound adjuster rod going down into the damping cartridge, the rebound adj valve is at the fork cap. incidentally aprilia rs250 have the superbike style forks, but i kept forgetting to measure them externally. everything '98 or '99 (?, forget now) onward has 65mm caliper spacing.

Hi Brad,

Have you got a recommendation for a 2002 ST2 with non adjustable forks for me, weighing 90kg, never two up, but occaisionally loaded for a trip?
I've got soft panniers and a ventura rack & aero spada 51ltr bag.
Also the rear Sachs shock is a consideration as well.

Thanks,

Craig

1 - 14 of 14 Posts