Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'Day from Australia.

I have just bought this Red ST3s from the salvage auctions with the idea of changing all the best bits into my beloved Black ST3 i have had for many years.

My plans are to change the forks, rear shock, swingarm and wheels over. Is there any other parts i should look to be changing over?

The red donor bike is a Statutory write off here so can never be re registered otherwise i would just fix her up.

Any help would be much appreciated.

cheers :grin2:

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Maybe before installing the new shock and forks, take the time to service them and install new springs to match your weight, if they aren't already at the correct spec. Since it will be apart service everything that needs it, like greasing suspension bearings and steering head bearings etc. Other than that, I think the only difference between the ST3 and ST3s are the items you mention. Others may know better, however.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The big question is whether to change over to the donor bike’s ABS. The hardware looks easy, if a little involved in detail, to swap in. Needs someone to share what this entails regarding wiring and controls……………

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe before installing the new shock and forks, take the time to service them and install new springs to match your weight, if they aren't already at the correct spec. Since it will be apart service everything that needs it, like greasing suspension bearings and steering head bearings etc. Other than that, I think the only difference between the ST3 and ST3s are the items you mention. Others may know better, however.
Yeah i was thinking about speaking to a suspension expert before the install to see which way they would like to do it (have the stuff installed to test ride or do while off the bike). Good Tip, i think she deserves the full birthday!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The big question is whether to change over to the donor bike’s ABS. The hardware looks easy, if a little involved in detail, to swap in. Needs someone to share what this entails regarding wiring and controls……………
I had a bit of a look at this last night, i think i would be up for changing the complete loom plus dash and hand controls (as left has ABS switch). Hopefully i can get some insight from someone that has done similar.

·
Registered
778 Posts
IIRC, the ride height rod on the ST3 is fixed. The donor should be adjustable (if not seized).

Hard to tell from the pix, but the donor swingarm kinda looks like a steel one?

Cool project!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IIRC, the ride height rod on the ST3 is fixed. The donor should be adjustable (if not seized).

Hard to tell from the pix, but the donor swingarm kinda looks like a steel one?

Cool project!
Thanks, well i already have done the adjustable ride height rod to mine. So should have a second one to sell off as well as all the other parts not needed to hopefully get back to as close to even as possible.

The swingarm is aluminium, I'm fairly sure they are supposed to be lighter than the non S one. Hopefully someone can confirm :smile2:

·
Registered
543 Posts
I had a bit of a look at this last night, i think i would be up for changing the complete loom plus dash and hand controls (as left has ABS switch). Hopefully i can get some insight from someone that has done similar.
Would need to swap your ECU also then which is for a s engine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
778 Posts

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Thanks, well i already have done the adjustable ride height rod to mine. So should have a second one to sell off as well as all the other parts not needed to hopefully get back to as close to even as possible.

The swingarm is aluminium, I'm fairly sure they are supposed to be lighter than the non S one. Hopefully someone can confirm :smile2:
So...The Al swingarm is the way to go. Your original plan (post #1) is valid. And as previously mentioned, maybe proper springs for your weight for the forks. Only other thing I really recommend is the tapered roller bearings in the steering head. For my ST2, it was like a night and day difference in the way the bike handled.

And the ABS - I believe each bike's harnesses are unique. Plus, isn't there a separate "brain" for the ABS? Not just the plumbing module, but a separate computer? If it were me, I'd be selling the ABS stuff to the internet. It's not a simple plumbing change, AFAIK. And even if it were, it's still not simple.

That said, I have had my ABS kick in maybe 2 times for me on my MG Stelvio. One time it probably bailed me out. But I really believe that I can live without it. I certainly have, seeing this ripe old age that I'm becoming!!!

On another note, my 2012 Chev pickup pisses me off... When I WANT to drift thru a corner -- the stability crap kicks in. Geeesus, I guess I'm leaning to get a Lotus 7 more and more!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There's a thread buried around here somewhere... the alu version was about 2.5 pounds lighter than the steel version.

Ah, here it is: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/42-monster/191689-aluminum-vs-steel-swingarm.html
Awesome thanks, i am sure even the 1.1kg difference in unsprung weight will make a difference. I guess i could get it polished too :wink2:

So...The Al swingarm is the way to go. Your original plan (post #1) is valid. And as previously mentioned, maybe proper springs for your weight for the forks. Only other thing I really recommend is the tapered roller bearings in the steering head. For my ST2, it was like a night and day difference in the way the bike handled.

And the ABS - I believe each bike's harnesses are unique. Plus, isn't there a separate "brain" for the ABS? Not just the plumbing module, but a separate computer? If it were me, I'd be selling the ABS stuff to the internet. It's not a simple plumbing change, AFAIK. And even if it were, it's still not simple.

That said, I have had my ABS kick in maybe 2 times for me on my MG Stelvio. One time it probably bailed me out. But I really believe that I can live without it. I certainly have, seeing this ripe old age that I'm becoming!!!

On another note, my 2012 Chev pickup pisses me off... When I WANT to drift thru a corner -- the stability crap kicks in. Geeesus, I guess I'm leaning to get a Lotus 7 more and more!!!
Yeah, the more i consider the things ill need to change for the ABS the less inclined i am to swap that over. (Dash, ignition barrel, tank lock, seat lock, harness, abs module, brake lines....the list seems to go on and on) I seemed to have survived this long without it (famous last words i know!)

Would need to swap your ECU also then which is for a s engine.
Yeah add that to the above list lol!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Late reply on this I know, but cosmetically and functionally this was a great swap and well worth it.

Selling out the unused parts I actually made money on the swap.

I still need to get around to getting the correct spring rates in it for my weight and will do shortly. Just been too busy with the racing and enjoying this bike again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
What did you do regarding power plant? Swap to 'S' engine or keep OE?

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
No difference in engines between the s and non-s versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What did you do regarding power plant? Swap to 'S' engine or keep OE?
Yeah, kept my original motor in as there is no difference.
The other motor is there as a spare although i highly doubt i'll ever need it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts