Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my main complaint with my ST4s is that there is no place to attach a bungee net. About once a week, I need to transport a spare helmet, jacket or something, and the only option I have is a backpack. Of course, it’s no problem when the panniers installed, but in my case that’s rare.

Also, my main concern with bungee nets is that the hooks can’t contact the paint. My paint is in great condition and marks from luggage aren’t an option.

So, after a couple of hours of staring at the bike and thinking back to the system on a ZX6R I used to have, I came up with this solution.

Required tools & parts:
Drill with 3/16” bit
Pop rivet tool with 3/16”x1/2” aluminum rivets
4 large washers w/ 3/16” hole
Luggage strap (I found these at Walmart for less than $4)

First, cut the straps to length. Sorry, but I didn’t measure these prior to installation, so you’ll need to test fit to find the correct length. I heated the ends after cutting so they wouldn’t fray. I also used a wire heated with a plumber’s torch to make the attachment hole in the end of each strap for the same reason. Finally, it seemed like a good idea to wrap my drill bit with masking take about 1/4” from the tip so I wouldn’t accidentally drill too deep. It would be a major pi55er to drill a hole completely through the seat cover.

Here’s a shot with the straps riveted in place. This demonstrates how you’ll need to test fit before cutting to length. The front straps should be long enough to extend about 1-1/2” past the edge of the seat and the rear should extend about 1/2” past the edge. This will make a little more sense when you see the next photos.

This view is without the wheel lock in place, but it still fits with the straps installed. The lock retaining straps and tab do a nice job of stowing the bungee straps when not in use.

Done! If I had it to do over, I think I'd make all the straps about 1/2" longer, but otherwise it works pretty well.

The attachment to the seat doesn’t appear to be exceptionally strong, but I’ve been using this for a couple of months now with no problems. Let me know what you think.

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
Or you can buy the DP touring seat, which I believe has bungee hooks under the seat.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I'd rather wear my helmet. ;) j/k...I know it's for a "spare" helmet. Nice work!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for that, I'm adding that to my winter project list.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Come on Bill... you know one of the fine qualities of many Ducatista is their own ingenuity. Buying a new seat just for bungee hooks?

I guess you could have paid to have a custom seat made too... with alligator even, maybe with claws where you could attach the bungee to?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Cool, now the ass end of your bike is protected! Hmm, perhaps you should hang another one on the side to protect the side of the bike since it looks like you don't have the bags on now.

Just kidding, I like it, simple and effective. Good Job!

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
Come on Bill... you know one of the fine qualities of many Ducatista is their own ingenuity. Buying a new seat just for bungee hooks?

I guess you could have paid to have a custom seat made too... with alligator even, maybe with claws where you could attach the bungee to?
My a** and I gave up on the upholstered planks of the pre MY 04 models a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Seat no longer available

Or you can buy the DP touring seat, which I believe has bungee hooks under the seat.
I've tried a lot of places, and keep getting "Ducati don't supply them anymore"

If anyone knows where to get one (shipped to Canada) please let me know

·
Registered
259 Posts
BTW the Sargent seat has bungee hooks for this as well and they also can be stored out of site when not being used.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Yes. Tried them both. They don't keep this kind of item in stock, so after ordering, they both got the message from Ducati.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
another place for a bungee attachment is down on the upper muffler mount. if you have the mufflers mounted to the lower mount you can put a swing arm spool on the top one.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I bought the Bungee Loops from Rider Wearhouse catalog for $12. Installed two on the top of each saddlebag. They are black plastic and match the bags. I stretch an elastic cargo net across them, providing a roomy area across the seat and bags.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think my main complaint with my ST4s is that there is no place to attach a bungee net. About once a week, I need to transport a spare helmet, jacket or something, and the only option I have is a backpack. Of course, it’s no problem when the panniers installed, but in my case that’s rare.

Also, my main concern with bungee nets is that the hooks can’t contact the paint. My paint is in great condition and marks from luggage aren’t an option.

So, after a couple of hours of staring at the bike and thinking back to the system on a ZX6R I used to have, I came up with this solution.

Required tools & parts:
Drill with 3/16” bit
Pop rivet tool with 3/16”x1/2” aluminum rivets
4 large washers w/ 3/16” hole
Luggage strap (I found these at Walmart for less than $4)

First, cut the straps to length. Sorry, but I didn’t measure these prior to installation, so you’ll need to test fit to find the correct length. I heated the ends after cutting so they wouldn’t fray. I also used a wire heated with a plumber’s torch to make the attachment hole in the end of each strap for the same reason. Finally, it seemed like a good idea to wrap my drill bit with masking take about 1/4” from the tip so I wouldn’t accidentally drill too deep. It would be a major pi55er to drill a hole completely through the seat cover.

Here’s a shot with the straps riveted in place. This demonstrates how you’ll need to test fit before cutting to length. The front straps should be long enough to extend about 1-1/2” past the edge of the seat and the rear should extend about 1/2” past the edge. This will make a little more sense when you see the next photos.

This view is without the wheel lock in place, but it still fits with the straps installed. The lock retaining straps and tab do a nice job of stowing the bungee straps when not in use.

Done! If I had it to do over, I think I'd make all the straps about 1/2" longer, but otherwise it works pretty well.

The attachment to the seat doesn’t appear to be exceptionally strong, but I’ve been using this for a couple of months now with no problems. Let me know what you think.
Before I got my sargents seat ,I used an adjustable buggi cargo and never had a promlem with strapping things to my seat!!Riding pants jacket or helmet!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for that, I'm adding that to my winter project list.
Done! Picked up D-rings & yellow nylon webbing to match the Duc @ REI. Job done $7 & 2 hrs later. I'm ready to haul more gear. Thanks again for the original post.

·
Registered
466 Posts
DP Seat

I purchased the DP Touring seat for my 2006 ST3, and it, indeed, had the bungee hooks. They fold beneath the seat when not in use. Pretty clever.

HOWEVER, in their own imitable fashion, Ducati made the hooks so that they ride on the lip of the body below the seat - thus the weight of the rider(s) rests on these four little hooks, and they upon the little lip. Grinding with a Dremel Mototool could cut notches in the lip to accommodate the hooks, but the soft nylon baggage straps the OP shows is SO much more elegant and practical.

Thanks so much for sharing that - I think I'll convert my hooks to straps this weekend.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I bought the Bungee Loops from Rider Wearhouse catalog for $12. Installed two on the top of each saddlebag. They are black plastic and match the bags. I stretch an elastic cargo net across them, providing a roomy area across the seat and bags.
PO did this mod on my bike and it works great.... As long as you have the bags attached.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts