Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ST-4 2002 model.
On the flat roads the front end works great but get on concrete and the small bumps just about knock you teeth out!!!!!!
It gets so bad I almost lost control more than once.
I have tried every combination of adjustment that I can think of. Here is where I am now.
Spring preload-------all the way lose
Rebound------------ out 3 clicks from hard
Compression-------- out 14 clicks
What are you running? I weigh 175. I know everyone wants different settings but I am willing to try anything before I go through all the work to re-spring etc.
The big bumps it is fine. It's just those annoying small bumps that it is horrible. When I was flattracking, we used to call them "studder bumps". We usually just softened up the forks and it was then o.k.

·
Registered
887 Posts
You need to back way off on the rebound damping. Believe it or not, the rebound adjustment also affects compression damping.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The comment about the rebound adjustment changing the compression damping is a good one. The ST4 forks are crippled by the truly crappy compression valving that comes from the factory. A re-spring and re-valve is such a big and positive step. You won't doubt it once you ride one with those mods. The ST2, ST4 and the ST4S all share this trait.

We have done a number of these upgrades over the last 6-8 weeks so there should be several guys who can give you a first hand report.

The Penske conversion we do is sweet but even the Gold Valve mod from RaceTech is a big step and that is something that you can have done or do yourself if you are so inclined.

Failing that mod, try changing your fork oil to a good 5W oil and back way off on the rebound (start with it and the compression full out) and click in on the rebound if the forks feel loose. If you are bottoming or the brake dive is unacceptable click in some compression damping. Ne mindful that the clickers are somewhat ineffectual on the stock forks and when they do, it is all going to happen in a range of about 3 clicks. The adjusters work more like on-off switches. Also the adjusters only effect the "bleed" in the forks so the effect they do have is mostly in the range of slower fork movement (like a dip in the road as opposed to pot hole). The stock fork springs are great if you weigh about 150lbs.

·
Registered
403 Posts
honest-al said:
I have a ST-4 2002 model.
On the flat roads the front end works great but get on concrete and the small bumps just about knock you teeth out!!!!!!
It gets so bad I almost lost control more than once.
I have tried every combination of adjustment that I can think of. Here is where I am now.
Spring preload-------all the way lose
Rebound------------ out 3 clicks from hard
Compression-------- out 14 clicks
What are you running? I weigh 175. I know everyone wants different settings but I am willing to try anything before I go through all the work to re-spring etc.
The big bumps it is fine. It's just those annoying small bumps that it is horrible. When I was flattracking, we used to call them "studder bumps". We usually just softened up the forks and it was then o.k.
I am the same weight as you and here is what I turned the knobs to:
forks: stock springs, 5wt oil, comp 8 clik out, rebound 8 clik out, preload measures 17mm ( see owners manual for how to measure); shock:stock spring, comp 10 clik out, rebound 10 clik out, 7 turns from soft on preload.
It is always nice to have a few numbers from others to try. Beware that your style will be different and what I do probably wont be what you want to settle on. If you make changes, change ONE parameter and take notes. Take your time and do this over a weeks time.

Dave Harhay

·
Registered
19 Posts
I too am bothered with the performance of the front forks on my 00 ST4 - on our increasing number of repaired and corrugated roads, the front forks sound as if they are falling apart ! Do I understand correctly that a conversion or upgrade is available from either Penske or RaceTech ? Which is easier to install as it will have to be done by my local Ducati dealer in Cape Town, or are both conversions fairly straightforward?
Incidentally, I have not noticed the same rattling problem on my wife's 04 ST3 - is the front suspension different on her bike ?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Willy, after installing the Race Tech springs and Gold Valve, it is simple, not straight forward by the directions. You may need to make tools to do the assembly/ disassembly. I guess it is something that you will have to decide. Are there any other riders that can talk about their experiences to you and even come over to your garage?

Dave Harhay

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dave, I spoke to my Ducati dealer yesterday and luckily the main mechanic has experience of the Gold Valve upgrade from RaceTech, so I am going to go ahead and get one and will ask my dealer to install it. As others have commented, the mechanic confirms the upgrade really makes a difference to the front end.

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
Willy_Mac said:
Dave, I spoke to my Ducati dealer yesterday and luckily the main mechanic has experience of the Gold Valve upgrade from RaceTech, so I am going to go ahead and get one and will ask my dealer to install it. As others have commented, the mechanic confirms the upgrade really makes a difference to the front end.
Please give us a test ride report when you get this done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Gold Valve upgrade from RaceTech has now been installed and set up exactly as specified for a person of my weight and riding preferences. Last weekend I had an opportunity to test ride my ST4 over 150 kms of various road conditions. My overall impression is how can such a small part make such a big difference !
I cannot give you technical feedback on the upgrade but gone is that compete loose feeling when travelling over small corrugations. The bike's front end now seems to soak up everything the road throws at it, and feels really solid while doing so.
In the twisties the Gold Valve gave me a new more controlled feeling and I have much more confidence when braking late and hard and then leaning the bike over for the next bend.
The result may not be as good as the suspension on a ST4s, but I am very satisfied - certainly good enough for my standard of riding.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Willy_Mac said:
The result may not be as good as the suspension on a ST4s, but I am very satisfied - certainly good enough for my standard of riding.
Actually, done properly, your ST4 forks should now be better than the ST4s forks because they have been tuned for your body weight instead of the "one size fits all" OEM solution. The only thing the ST4s forks have is the titanium nitride coating which mainly offers increased durability and a slight reduction in stiction which is minor compared to getting the valving tuned ideally.

As to the rear shock, if you like your fork upgrade, you will love the Ohlins (or comparable) rear.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mike said:
As to the rear shock, if you like your fork upgrade, you will love the Ohlins (or comparable) rear.
I (actually my wife) was afraid someone might suggest this !!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts