Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem off topic to this forum but I want a relatively unbiased opinion based on an actual experience. I sold my 2005 ST 3 after riding it a fair amount. No problems nor was I tired of the bike, I just needed to cut my vehicle inventory prior to a long winter cruise in the Caribbean and up through the Bahamas (I know--sucks to be me) on my catamaran.

Anyway, along comes a great deal on a very clean Multi 620 Dark. So I'm thinking: hmmm, no shiney paint to worry about, no bodywork in the way for maintenance, not as much cash tied up, etc. Plus I've always liked the idea of the Multistrada but never even considered the little one. I've read a bunch but never rode one or a Monster 620 for that matter. I'm just north of 200 lbs., 6' tall. The question is: will I be disapointed by the lack of power or different road manners? I am not emotionally unable to ride a small-displacement bike like some guys I know--I've owned two 250 street bikes (Kaw 250 Ninja and a Honda 250 Interceptor) that I used as glorified scooters here in the Keys. I liked them both and wished that I had kept one or the other but I sure wouldn't have wanted to take them for any great distance unless there was no other choice.

Has any of you who ride the faster liter bikes riden a 620, especially the MTS 620? What say ye? I've worked out the economics, I'd just like to hear mainly actual experiences. Thanks.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I used to own an MTS 620. Sometimes I wish I still had it since it's more flexible than the Monster620 we currently have, especially on questionable road surfaces. They're great bikes, but if you're used to an ST3, the MTS will feel a little anemic and since you're north of 200lbs the suspension will be under-sprung. If you're mostly using it as a scooter or commuter, it would be a great bike, but I wouldn't recommend touring two up with it or any more aggressive sport riding. FWIW, I'm just south of 200lbs and tended to scrape boots and other parts on the MTS. Once I started riding with more gusto, I was faced the the choice of an expensive suspension upgrade or buying a different bike. The motor is small, but it's not the weak link on the MTS620, it's the suspension.

That'll be $.02 please. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll get that 2 cents to you promptly! I'll be using it to do East Coast adventure touring primarily. I've met people doing the same on SV 650's and KLR's so I know there's enough power to do it. Sport riding/peg dragging are now in my past (I'm 55) so I think I can live with the suspension. I am talking to a guy who has a 620 with the Termignoni pipe, ECU and 750 big bore kit. Anyone got any experience with that? It moves the bike up to 80 hp on the dyno which sure sounds like plenty for a bike this light.

'78 900 Darmah
'92 900 Monster
'96 900SSCR
'95 900SSSP
'05 ST3
all gone :(

·
Registered
434 Posts
The MTS should fit that bill pretty well. That's the one thing I liked best about mine. I could go anywhere and not have to worry about the pavement running out. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Less than 5 miles Ill take my multi. Nimble quick but not superfast. Gotta take the wife or want to go on a long ride or just want to go fast I take my ST4S. Its a beast.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Replace the rear shock with a rebuildable unit you will be amazed at the differance. Overfill the forks with a heavier wt. oil and it will improve the front as well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts