Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem started last fall rode the bike for 20 miles or so and it would shut off and on restart run rough not idle and barely get back home.After cooling off the bike would run fine for 20 miles or so and the problem would return. Took it to Eurosports and they could not get it to have the problem so I got a set of used coils and they installed them. Bike ran great for 500 miles and problem has returned. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
When the bike dies, does it cut out immediately (like an electrical problem), or does it lose power, sputter and die?

·
Registered
456 Posts
When was fuel pump screen, fuel filter and vent lines last serviced/replaced?

2002 Yamaha FZ1
1998 Ducati ST2 apocalypse edition

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking the fuel pump too.Am making arrangements to do what you suggested.

Reactions: SO FUN

·
Registered
164 Posts
Might be the problem that "spooked" my motor - the crankshaft position sensor. It's a magnetic pickup and permanent magnets die from age and heat. When the ECU gets no signal, it shut the engine down, at first intermittently enough to be kindof like a misfire, but it gets worse. Search my user name and "spooked" to get the whole sordid tale. Sourced from "some guy" at a Fiat shop in the UK through Ebay, it's about $130 (was half that a year ago...) vs $230 from a USA Ducati dealer and easy to swap out. https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTO-GUZZI...589831&hash=item41c6b72167:g:IF8AAOSwN6JY-bPI

1 - 5 of 5 Posts