Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding the back end of my 748 (rebuilt shock, cleaning and lubing all pivot points, etc). As part of this project I want to remove the swing arm. Has anyone done this? I know this bolt also serves as a motor mount so the process is not totally trivial. Haynes says no way without removing the engine. LT says just support the engine with a jack and go for it.

Anyone here actually done this? How difficult is it and what are the chances of the motor ending up on the ground?

Thanks
Tony

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
on a 748 there are 3 bolts that hold the motor into the frame. The lowest rear bolt holds the motor and swingarm. The motor will stay in the frame with the remaing two. Snyder is correct about support the motor with a floor jack or something eqivilant and pull the swingarm/motor bolt. You may want to renew the dust seals on the swingarm. The bearings (sealed & needle should be in good shape, granted if kept clean.

Needle bearing part# 70140171A
Needle bearing seal# 93050121A

Sealed bearing you can get from a local bearing shop like King Bearing...cheaper than Ducati

SKF part# 6005-2RS1/C3

have to check my numbers but should be the same as a front wheel bearing

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Synergy said:
on a 748 there are 3 bolts that hold the motor into the frame. The lowest rear bolt holds the motor and swingarm. The motor will stay in the frame with the remaing two. Snyder is correct about support the motor with a floor jack or something eqivilant and pull the swingarm/motor bolt. You may want to renew the dust seals on the swingarm. The bearings (sealed & needle should be in good shape, granted if kept clean.

Needle bearing part# 70140171A
Needle bearing seal# 93050121A

Sealed bearing you can get from a local bearing shop like King Bearing...cheaper than Ducati

SKF part# 6005-2RS1/C3

have to check my numbers but should be the same as a front wheel bearing

Great information. Thanks!

Tony

·
Registered
107 Posts
Another tip

On my 998 I had to loosen the motor mount bolt above the swing arm pivot. This is because you have to "spread" the frame slightly to get the swing arm out of the frame. There is a lip on the frame that the bushings that are in the swing arm fits into. I only had to spread it about 3/16" and it let it come out. Without the other motor mount bolt loose you can't get the frame to flex enough to do it. Ken.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.