Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put a new Supersprox rear sprocket on the bike and during assembly, we noticed the new sproket sat slightly outboard from a perfectly centered condition as the original sprocket did. With the original sprocket, you could stand behind the bike and with the calilbrated eyeball, you could tell the front sprocket, the guide track on top of the swing arm, and the rear sprocket, were darn near perfect alignment.

But repeat above procedure with same eyeball, and the new sprocket sat just slightly outboard (to the left) of a perfect alignment condition. It is very, very minor to the tune of about 2-4mm...4mm worse case. Just enough to notice. I didn't even take a picture of it because I didn't think it would show up in the pic. You can not tell via eyeball method with the chain on.

Everything assembled together perfectly, new chain went on perfectly and everything. Fast foward 700 miles and did my first good cleaning since the install and here's what I discovered. In 700 miles, the chain has already worn the black finish off the sprocket. There is no similar wear pattern on the other side of the sprocket...it's black and looks brand new.

So what do you guys think?? Cause for concern? I would imagine swapping for a new sprocket would yield the same result.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That picture looks like a single sided swingarm. Am I wrong? Chain alignment goes with the territory on :abduct:eek:rdinary:abduct: bikes. My only guess, and it is just a wild ass guess, would be that one of the rubber cush drives didn't seat properly. If that isn't it, I'd take it apart and stare at it for a long time with a beer in my hand, lay the parts on a flat surface, stare some more, finish my beer, then I'd leave it for the night and go inside and have another beer. That night during sleep it would just come to me.

Try it!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it's nt for a 520 chain. It's a 525 sprocket with a 525 chain. Yes, it's a single sided swing arm...hense the SSSA acronym in the title of my post.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothing has come loose. If you re-read my post you will see I noticed it at first install. There's also not an installation problem, it's definately a manufacturing problem. Question is can you live with it?

·
Registered
331 Posts
4mm is a huge difference. Sure you can use it, but your chain will wear much more quickly as will both sprockets. Being that it is a two piece sprocket, I would say that the center and the outer where not properly assembled as you are more than likely thinking as well. Having never used a Supersprox sprocket, I can't comment on their quality. Though if memory serves right, they are newer to the industry. Perhaps they did not do enough product development on this particular model before they sent them out the door? My personal preference is JT Sprockets Have them on all my Ducs). They have the least expensive quick change hub that I have seen. Even though it is priced less, it is made of better material than the Renthal carrier...and it will even take the same sprockets if you didn't want to use JT's own sprockets (which are very inexpensive as well). And no, I do not work for JT, nor am I sponsored by them.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I have one of thier sprockets in 520 on my multi and it fits just right. I changed from an AFAM quick change that had the misalignment issue that I didn't notice until it really ate up the aluminum teeth. no clue as to why there are misalignment problems with aftermarket, but the quick change AFAM on my 748 seems to be aligned just right. maybe there is a difference between a 748/916 and the multi as to alignment? I haven't tried to switch the two back and forth between bikes.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
If you are very very very sure that you have put everything back together again the way it is supposed to be, then I will ditch that sprocket and that chain post haste and get a new one. A chain coming off at full noise has a tendency to mangle a left leg and an engine casing. This sprocket is now doing mechanical work in a way it was not designed for and there is no way in telling what the outcome is going to be and by when.

You may just have a sprocket that was a manufacturing dud, speak nicely to your vendor and see what they can do for you.

SF

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I'd compare your stock rear sprocket to the Stealth. It would be odd for the MFG to cut the sprocket wrong - but stranger things have happened.

What front sprocket did you use?

-M

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When we noticed the alignment issue (immediately after install) the next thing we did was slide the old one back on. No ssue. It s definately a manufacturing issue. Front sprocket is a Drve System bone stock 15 toothe replacement. No issues there at all. You can tell it's the rear because the front is still in perfect alignment with the guide rail on the swingarm. The rear is the one that's not.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If they wont send you a replacement sprocket, how about some washers between the outer face of the sprocket and the drive hub to push it back in a little bit?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I sent the sprocket back to the purchase location and they sent it back to the distributor. I don't think it's made it back to the manufacturer yet and I have received zero info from the purchase location other than a refund. So basically long story short...a dead end in which I doubt I'll ever hear anything about.

JB did come by the house and brought his SuperSprox sprocket and a AFAM carrier off his multistrada. Guess what, they both fit the same, with the same 4-5mm offset. AND get this, the wear indications on the sprockets off his bike fully indicate that they fit his bike just as bad as they fit mine. Something is going on here.

The place I purchased from is sold on the fact that there's something wrong with my bike and not the sprockets, but there's no way. One suggestion was that the swingarm on my bike may be installed/shimmed improperly! I also say not possible because everything else aligns perfectly. Plus, there's no way you could move my swingarm 5mm to the right to make this sprocket align properly.

So here's my assumption after some research...I think SuperSprox and AFAM and any other company making sprockets to "fit" the Multistrada has used a sprocket designed for a 748/916/996 bike. Very similar swing arms so they assumed the sprockets would fit the same, but I think that to not be the case. Could be wrong.

Either way, I'm stuck with a stock sprocket and zero options. Guess I should be at least glad I got a full refund.

·
Registered
13 Posts
same prob

got one of the same sprockets and mounted it on the S4R, and got the same misagliment problems. sent it to Supersprox and they say the measurments are fine. well duh, maby your right that they assumed the dimentions are the same for all SSSA. going to look into a litl machining to get it into agliment or maby got a cool paperweight and go to a quick change from AFAM

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
got one of the same sprockets and mounted it on the S4R, and got the same misagliment problems. sent it to Supersprox and they say the measurments are fine. well duh, maby your right that they assumed the dimentions are the same for all SSSA. going to look into a litl machining to get it into agliment or maby got a cool paperweight and go to a quick change from AFAM
as Jon posted, I had the AFAM setup on my Multi and had the misalignment issue with it also. I just didn't notice it until I saw the wear on the side of the teeth. also. the only sprockets that I found to fit it are hardened aluminum, not steel. they wear fine for a track bike. but don't seem to last on the road.

I'll go out into the garage and snap a photo or two and post them up.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
photos

photos of the supersprox on my multi. about 4 thousand miles. also the AFAM I took off earlier. both show wear on the outside with very little wear on the inside. will say that even with the misalignment, the steel teeth last longer. rather to be expected I know, but they are probably harder on the chain than the alloy ones. sure would like to get this all figured out soon, so I know what to buy.

Attachments

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
I don't have any alignment issues currently, but tried to order a few smaller sprockets (I have a 41 currently) and found that AFAM quick-change sprockets are on backorder for the next month or so... HMMMMMM......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts