Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing that no one has really tried it as I can't seem to find it documented on the net anywhere, but has anyone considered converting an ST to a Belt Drive with a Single Sided Swing Arm?

It has been a BEAUTIFUL weekend for riding, and as my bike is laid up waiting for part to come from Italy, I have been bored and starting starting searching the web who-knows-what... When I pulled my rear wheel off, it took quite a bit of scrubbing to get it all cleaned up and it got me to thinking about the cleanliness of a belt drive. Well, the next questions, obviously, was: Is there a conversion kit? As far I could find, there is not. BUT, I did find a picture of a Monster 695 (I think) converted over to belt drive as a prototype. I found that the Double sided swing arm on the ST's is the problem as they do not allow enough room for the extra width of a belt pulley, BUT, some of the Monster SSSA's are pretty much a direct swap. So...

I know this is just a pipe dream at this point, but maybe it might inspire someone to do what I lack the finances (and machine shop) to do myself.

So, to satisfy my couriosity, I have some questions that just maybe might get some people thinking...
1.) What SSSA's will swap right onto the ST bikes (as I know there are some that are basically a bolt on swap)?
1.a.) There seems to be some exhaust routing issues for those who have done this. What is the issue?
2.) Belt drive: Is there enough room on the motor to hold the front pulley for a belt? (since I saw the Monster converted I am assuming there is JUST enough room?)
3.) Performance/Handling: What is the advantage to a SSSA vs. a DSSA?

Like I said, I can't ride and I am bored. What have you got?

------------------------------------------------
Picture proof of concept:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The main issue is making sure the routing is possible. For example, if your SSSA runs the chain/belt though a hole or passage in the swingarm, the SSSA won't work, since you can't break open a belt to thread it through a passage. Belt tensioning could also be an issue. Belt drive is cool, though, and has advantages -- I'd be interested in following this if you proceed with the idea.

I don't have answers to your questions 1 and 1a.
Question 2 is probably a "yes", although you may need to remove the sprocket cover to allow the wider belt pulley to fit there.
Question 3 is a "no". There aren't any. The SSSA looks really cool, and it helps with quick tire changes in endurance racing. But in terms of performance, handling, and weight, an SSSA is worse overall than a DSSA.

PhilB

Reactions: SonnysTile

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
S2r, S4r and S4rs are the swing arms that are reported to bolt on. It's been done. Not by me, but I have seen pictures of several. All the pics I have seen with it done do have extensive mods to the exhaust, but I don't know if it was needed or just part of the owners vision for what he was after. It is conceivable that the rear head pipe where it fits though the swing arm would be a different fit, even if only slightly, and therefore require some tweaking. It would be for looks and to remove money from your bank account only. There would be no advantage to performance with the swap. No real disadvantage either. I always hear people say how much heavier a SSSA is compared to a DSSA. True. It's heavier. I was pretty surprised how heavy the SSSA was for the 916 when I first picked one up. Consider the swing arm has the sprocket, sprocket carrier, hub with bearings, axle, brake rotor and caliper mounted as an assembly. Much of that stuff is located on the much heaver rear rim of a DSSA bike. The SSSA rim is considerably lighter when comparing same constriction rims, 3 spoke vs 5 spoke, for example. I'd say the weight thing mostly balances out when comparing the whole assembly, with rims. I know it works fine on the 916, that bike is a laser compare the the ST4s. There are other reasons for that bike's tighter handling, but the SSSA is definitely not holding it back.

Belt drive? It's no from me... If it's all that chain gunk driving you to it, maybe try a different chain lube and put a little effort into wiping things down when lubing.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello

I have a SSSA on my St, not a really big deal to install it, I just like to tinker with things like that.
The naked SSSA weight is very competitive with a naked DSSA Aluminum swinger, but I would guess the DSSA has a structural advantage over the SSSA. The SSSA does look pretty cool, though.
The exhaust must be changed because the hole in the SSSA is slightly smaller and is angled slightly differently so that the stock headpipe will not make up with the rear head flange. So, a Monster exhaust is warranted. I went with a Quad-D Boom Box that hangs beneath the motor, in the location where the exhaust "udder" would have been if it had been a Monster.
I would have liked to put a MotoCreations BoomTube on it, but he's already ripped me off for $1950.00 for exhausts to fit on my S4RS motors.
One downside of "lookin' sporty" is you give up your centerstand. Really miss that centerstand once it's gone....

I do like the idea of belt final drive, though. I've always thought Ducati had their belt and chain locations reversed.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SO it really sounds like a custom swing arm would be the first step, huh?

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
SO it really sounds like a custom swing arm would be the first step, huh?
I think if you kept your original DSSA you could do the belt, like in the pic of the Monster you posted. On our bikes we can remove the chain without breaking the master link. If you did a belt, you'd have no issues with it needing to pass through anything that would have you removing a master link to remove a chain. SSSA, yeah, I think you're into some fab work.

Link to a thread showing old member's bike, who hasn't posted in a long time, that did a SSSA. Pretty slick looking, and that Monster SA is a sexy bitch, but these pics do show where you'd have an issue with a belt that could not be broken like a chain.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/42-monster/65334-swingarm-questions-s4r-s2r.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts