Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i installed the fuel pump and an ssr cap on my newly painted gt tank and mounted it on my s1k - it was so snug on the mounting clamps i literally had to force it in place. that had me happy, a nicely fitting tank.

went out to the garage two days later and it was loose by ~1/4" and i hadn't even put fuel in it!! i was about to freak out when i unscrewed the ssr gas cap and a big WHOOSHHH of air came out and the tank shrunk right back to it's original shape...

i had installed the cap on a cool evening and it was a hot day and the air inside the tank had expanded and NOT VENTED!

i checked the venting system and discovered what i think is a design flaw in my ssr cap: the vent hole in the threaded portion of the cap (where the filler cap threads into the assembly) is up too high and the filler cap threads actually go past it, blocking the vent hole. my buddy andrey/ducnut was there with his 1000s with a black ssr cap and ran out to check his - same WHOOSHHH of air when he unscrewed the cap about a turn or so.

i think a few minutes with a dremel will fix this, but i won't be able to do it for a few days (back troubles at the moment) and i will post pics of my fix.

i just wanted to let folks know about this if you have the aftermarket cap...

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I have the same cap and have not had any venting issues, it's been on for about 5 months and was installed during summer.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I was about to pull that pin on one myself... May hang off for a while and see how this pans out :eek:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Have had one on for about 4K miles and haven't noticed anything.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Got a black SSR cap on my bike, no problems over the last 10 months or so - except the black has faded to a dirty yellow/brown colour, which on my yellow SC1000 looks of, but I bought black cos I wanted it black. So the anodising is a bit suspect.

Cheers,

Brett

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Geoff
Thanks for posting this. I can confirm all that Geoff has said. His tank was way loose until he vented the tank by undoing the cap. The tank then relaxed over the course of the next couple of minutes and was a snug fit again. My cap was also retaining pressure. There may be some variation in manufacturing that causes the vent hole to be obscured by the threads. Alternatively if the thread has sufficient clearance it could vent via the threads. Either way it is something to watch for. The fix is obvious but I will leave it to Geoff to post his solution.... he needs something to do... he can't ride because he put his back out while putting his socks on!!!! :confused: (after a hard couple days of yard work he said :think: ) Lee and I think it is just a cover for an over zealous horizontal tango :D

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
... he can't ride because he put his back out while putting his socks on!!!! :confused: (after a hard couple days of yard work he said :think: ) Lee and I think it is just a cover for an over zealous horizontal tango :D
dude... i WISH i could say i threw my back out from a wild night - at least then i would have that night to think about as i waddle from my chair to the med cab for the ibuprofin every couple hours! :eek:

i'm feeling a little better though and will probably do the gas cap fix and post up pics this weekend.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Got a black SSR cap on my bike, no problems over the last 10 months or so - except the black has faded to a dirty yellow/brown colour, which on my yellow SC1000 looks of, but I bought black cos I wanted it black. So the anodising is a bit suspect.

Cheers,

Brett
+1

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
SSR told me their anodizing is not fade resistant and would fade in direct sunlight. So I got a silver cap.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
NO color (other than plain silver (natural)), anodizing is fade resistant.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pics of teh fix

finally got around to taking a pic of my fix...

the problem is simple: you'll see a vent hole cut into the side of the filler hole, right at the bottom of the threaded area - the cap threads right over this and blocks the hole, sealing off the passage to the tank vent. i just cut a groove downwards on both parts which matches up when the cap is closed so it vents now.

no more swolen tank, no more "whoosh", no more worries.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
finally got around to taking a pic of my fix...

the problem is simple: you'll see a vent hole cut into the side of the filler hole, right at the bottom of the threaded area - the cap threads right over this and blocks the hole, sealing off the passage to the tank vent. i just cut a groove downwards on both parts which matches up when the cap is closed so it vents now.

no more swolen tank, no more "whoosh", no more worries.
Now....what about the metal filings in the fuel tank??? :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Brett

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Now....what about the metal filings in the fuel tank??? :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Brett
I suppose if you wanted filings in the tank you could sweep them up and carry them from the vice after you took the cap off and did the work there. ;););)

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I suppose if you wanted filings in the tank you could sweep them up and carry them from the vice after you took the cap off and did the work there. ;););)
yup.

i don't trust myself with power tools near a newly painted tank :eek:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Glad to see you're back in the shop and got it handled. You'd think they'd have engineered that piece a little better- it's still on my "desire" list, but now it means more work, too...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Silver cap here...

No problems and I think I got mine the same time as Corks, that was last year. The hole looks to be in the same place on mine. I also have two holes down further on the neck,are they for venting?.

SSR guys told me not fill the tank above the bottom of the filler neck. :think:

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my tank swelled up with pressure when it was bone dry empty - i hadn't even yet put the first fuel in it. the two holes lower in the filler tube are just to allow the fuel to move around at that level and not create an air pocket around the fuel tube if the level was higher than the bottom of the tube.

the problem is simple: the cap threads past the vent hole, sealing it off. mine works perfectly now after the mod - before it didn't vent at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts