Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Greetings from sunny South Africa.

Its good to find such a well layed out Ducati forum and thanks to my pal Andre "gorma900" for recommending the forum.

I've got a dilemma. I have an option to buy a new 2002 ST2 or 2002 900SSie (I'll explain later). My preference is towards the 2002 900SSie, with the Ohlins and big swing arm. I have a 2000 750SSie which I had for 5 years so I know the SSie's well and I like them.

The one question is how capable is the 900SSie two-up compared to the ST2???

Looking at the torque curves and power curves there doesn't seem too much difference (I know the ST2 is torquey and smoother). My wife finds the 750SS comfortable enough but the farthest we've gone is about a 192km trip (96 km there and back).

The 750SSie stresses a little bit on the highway with the temp getting slightly high, up to 3/4 on the temp gauge, but it sits there, will the 900 be much better?

I've seen the thread on the luggage and we've got a supplier for Oxford luggage so the luggage is covered and some of the SSie's I see are kitted for two-up touring.

The next thing after this is which of my old bikes go, the plastic Ducati TL1000S or my 750SS or my RD350LC???

Cheers
Richard

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
I've got an ST2 and a SS1000DS. The bags on the ST2 are nice to have, but I actually prefer the SS for two-up riding. If there were hard bags for the SS I'd get rid of the ST2.

Tom

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the 900 won't necessarially run any cooler (I hit 3/4 on mine sitting in traffic on 100+F (38+C) days)

With the right risers (I like my cycle cats) the SS is a bike I can ride for 500+ miles a day without any issues.

I can't imagine why the 750 would be reacing 3/4 temp at highway speeds though...that seems a little warm to me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi everyone, my first time posting and have been lurking around this site a couple of months now (already had tons of helpful information, thank you all). I am from sunny South Africa, Bloemfontein to be precise.

Richard, I had a similar dilemma a couple of years ago. I went with a 1999 900SS i.e. and have not regretted it since. Wife is quite tall for a lady and she does not complain too much, however if the misses stays at home you will be the one smiling. Regarding the temp gauge, I regularly hit 3/4. two up or even one-up in our 35 degree Celsius weather.

Kind regards.
FJ

·
Registered
321 Posts
The 2002 900 SSie is the best deal you can get. At much lower prices than the 1000 but with the nice features like the big alu swingarm, ohlins rear shock.

Did my first track day with my 2002 900 SSie yesterday. Impressively stable in the twists, excellent bike!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4U2NV said:
Richard, I had a similar dilemma a couple of years ago. I went with a 1999 900SS i.e. and have not regretted it since. Wife is quite tall for a lady and she does not complain too much, however if the misses stays at home you will be the one smiling. Regarding the temp gauge, I regularly hit 3/4. two up or even one-up in our 35 degree Celsius weather.
Hi FJ, its good to see a local guy on the site, as well. The 750SS struggles a bit 2 up though. Mine has seen plenty of track time.

How does the 900 pull 2 up, able to easily hold 150km/h??

The problem is my missus does like the bike and I don't mind 2up riding if the bike can do it. The TL I have pulls well but has one of those crap stepped seats and is not a favourite for 2 up. I hoping the 900SS will do the job.

The bike I'm buying is from that crowd in Cape Town who advertise in the BikeSA. They're bikes that haven't moved in the UK so they're dumping them here. They want R60K for a "new" 2002 900SS and R67K for the ST2. The only risk being warranties and support etc, but since I do my own spannering/servicing that throws that out the window.

Cheers
Richard

·
Registered
46 Posts
richardtl said:
They want R60K for a "new" 2002 900SS and R67K for the ST2.
That's £5,400 GBP for a bike (SS) that was £7.200 four years ago and has been superseded by a later model with a more powerful lump and all the electronics unlike the agricultural instrumentation of the pre 03 bikes. Sounds a tad expensive even if it is a brand new bike. How does it compare with a very low mileage used 02 SS?

Please do not misunderstand I have an 01 and my eldest son has an 02, both 900 SS FF and RED and we think they are the bees knees. In UK our bikes would probably be no more than £3.5k with well less than 10k miles on the clock.

Cheers,

Barry

·
Registered
37 Posts
150 fast ones two up can easily be done with the 900 (actually she runs best around the 150 to 170 range). I dropped a tooth on the countershaft sprocket and she runs real fine now (15kph loss at the top) but working better in slow traffic. My buddy has got a 750 carbie and there is a noticeable difference in the top end of the two bikes and he has got the whole dynojet kit fitted. She runs well on the track, although no match for the newer Jap stuff. Your TL will also be much stronger, but hey, 57k for that one in CT is well worth a look. Just be sure to do a belt service if you go for her. And before I forget, a PCIII did wonders for the throttle response.

Regarding pricing of anything with wheels in sunny South Africa, I don’t even think we should go there, 57k for a “new” bike is a bargain.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
billywiztheelder said:
That's £5,400 GBP for a bike (SS) that was £7.200 four years ago and has been superseded by a later model with a more powerful lump and all the electronics unlike the agricultural instrumentation of the pre 03 bikes. Sounds a tad expensive even if it is a brand new bike. How does it compare with a very low mileage used 02 SS?

Please do not misunderstand I have an 01 and my eldest son has an 02, both 900 SS FF and RED and we think they are the bees knees. In UK our bikes would probably be no more than £3.5k with well less than 10k miles on the clock.
Hi Barry

You're quite right, and I thought about it as well, but with our taxes and crap here new bikes are more than overseas, due to taxes and the market. SSie's are far between. I've only seen one 1000DS SS here. I have never seen an 02 900SS here. Most of the Dukes sold are superbikes, monsters, multistrada and ST's ( Ithink in that order).

The only prob is the bikes are half faired versions (hence them never selling), but both my other bikes are half faired, I prefer these.

The price I will be paying will be just less than a new 620Dark Monster. In 2001 a new 900SS went for R83000, the same for a ST2. The one thing as well is that the Rand has strenghtened.

I would estimate a 900SS second hand would go for around R40000.

The only other option is a code 3 (scrapped) bike (916/748) for around R25000.

The price list for new Ducatis are (from Ducati SA price listing). A new GSXR1000/ZX10R is R100000:

SUPERSPORT

1000 SS R 95,000.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUPERBIKE

749 S R 124,500.00
749 Dark R 99,500.00
749 R 109,500.00
749 R R 189,000.00
999 R 149,600.00
999 S R 189,000.00
999 R R 285,000.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MONSTER

M 620 DD Dark R 61,000.00
M 620 R 64,500.00
M S2R Dark R 74,000.00
M S2R R 77,000.00
M S2R 1000 R 89,000.00
M S4R R 109,000.00
M S4RS R 135,000.00

SPORT TOURING

ST3 R 99,500.00
ST3 S ABS R 114,000.00

MULTISTRADA

Multistrada 1000 R 99,000.00
Multistrada 1000 S R 115,000.00
Multistrada 620 Dark R 68,000.00
Multistrada 620 R 74,000.00

SPORT CLASSICS

Paul Smart 1000 LTD R 129,000.00
Sport 1000 R 97,000.00
1000 GT R 89,000.00

·
Registered
37 Posts
Richard, second hand SS bikes go for anything from 40 - 55k depending on the year and km’s. The problem is to find one that does not look like somebody went dirt racing with it. However they do not sell, so you have leverage to bargain with a private seller. It took me 6 months to find one that I felt is worth spending my hard earned orange ones on.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
4U2NV said:
150 fast ones two up can easily be done with the 900 (actually she runs best around the 150 to 170 range). I dropped a tooth on the countershaft sprocket and she runs real fine now (15kph loss at the top) but working better in slow traffic. My buddy has got a 750 carbie and there is a noticeable difference in the top end of the two bikes and he has got the whole dynojet kit fitted. She runs well on the track, although no match for the newer Jap stuff. Your TL will also be much stronger, but hey, 57k for that one in CT is well worth a look. Just be sure to do a belt service if you go for her. And before I forget, a PCIII did wonders for the throttle response.

Regarding pricing of anything with wheels in sunny South Africa, I don’t even think we should go there, 57k for a “new” bike is a bargain.
The belts will be the first thing I check.

The TL is fast but can't handle/brake-that has been a love/hate relationship, even that a Jap 600 blows off in a straight line. Though 2 up the TL will do over 200 easily.

I do much prefer the nice steady feeling of the SS mid corner, suits my riding style perfectly and I think the 900SS will be a good balance.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
4U2NV said:
Richard, second hand SS bikes go for anything from 40 - 55k depending on the year and km’s. The problem is to find one that does not look like somebody went dirt racing with it. However they do not sell, so you have leverage to bargain with a private seller. It took me 6 months to find one that I felt is worth spending my hard earned orange ones on.
I've saw a one year old bike that was matt blacked and then had orange dayglo air brushed all over it. Close up it had been dropped on both sides and the guy complained about the performance.

I'm quite keen on a Senna coloured one, as that is distinctly Ducati......

·
Registered
231 Posts
4U2NV said:
Hi everyone, my first time posting and have been lurking around this site a couple of months now (already had tons of helpful information, thank you all). I am from sunny South Africa, Bloemfontein to be precise.
FJ,

Welcome! I've been off this site for a few weeks, but glad to see another guy from South Africa. Do you know Fanie from Bloemfontein? I think he has/had a 1997 750 SS, beautifull condition - he sent me a pic, think I have it at work, he asked me if I knew about a 900SS engine somewhere at that time.

Andre

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Andre, the duc guys are few and in between in SA. Always nice to park my 7 year old SS next to a new rice burner just to hear remarks such as “The red one is faster”, if they only knew :D . I do not know Fanie, but my wife have seen a bike similar to his. There are a couple of monsters, a yellow 748 & 996 and a 999 in Bloemfontein, but there are only three regulars that you always see when riding around, 748, 999 bip and my “fast 900SS”.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
4U2NV said:
Hi Andre, the duc guys are few and in between in SA. Always nice to park my 7 year old SS next to a new rice burner just to hear remarks such as “The red one is faster”, if they only knew :D . I do not know Fanie, but my wife have seen a bike similar to his. There are a couple of monsters, a yellow 748 & 996 and a 999 in Bloemfontein, but there are only three regulars that you always see when riding around, 748, 999 bip and my “fast 900SS”.
Talk about fast ones. My favourite giggle is when I ride the TL and people look at the 180km/h speedo they say it is slow but are very impressed by the 260km/h speedo on my 750SS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts