Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to need to replace my fuel filter I imagine.

Will just any ole fuel filter work, or is there a special/recomended one for these bikes?

·
Registered
235 Posts
doesn't LT Snyder give a NAPA part recommendation in the desmo times manual? Seems to me I've seen someone else selling them, was it california cycleworks perhaps?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see anything in the fuel injection section...will look elsewhere to see if I can find it though!

is this the right one?

·
Registered
235 Posts
looks about right, though I believe the NAPA unit had a metal outer shell.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

that's the napa part number!

:D

Found it in the carburated section of the manual.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ie filter

It MUST be a metal one! They're under much higher fuel pump pressure than the carb model bikes! BMW (bikes) use the same filter. Just get the OE. Call your closest dealer, and order up the parts, have them UPS delivered. No shortcuts with critical parts with this bike.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the 3032 IS metal.

and at $3.50 v. ~$18.00....I'll go with the cheaper version since it's metal as well, especially if LT recomends it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
So How Do You Get The Filler Assembly Out?

I'm working on Dresda/Stephanie's 750SSie and have the new filter but having taken out all the Allen screws, I find the fuel cap assembly won't come out.

The cap is off, the rubber inside the filler neck is off, but it won't budge. I don't want to damage the tank, but it's not coming out!

Help!

Mike

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know it sounds harsh, but you have to muscle it out.

Take the handle end of a hammer (wodden will work fine) stick it down inside the tank and pry gently, it won't damage the tank and it womt damage the
filler cap, as long as you do it gently.

I had the same issue the first time around, but when I called Marchello at Ducati Austin (when they were open), he told me to use that method...I trust him, so I went with it, and it popped right now

when you go to put it back together, be sure to lube the green o-ring, else you run the risk of splitting it.

Also, make sure you flip up the black gasket that forms the seal between the filler cap and the tank, make sure it's flipped all up all the way around when you go to put the cap back in. Else you will be in for a headache for sure...lol

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
dresda.

I just wanted to add that when you say you have the allens screws out, I hope you mean the very tiny grub screws around the parameter of the outer ring and not just the larger allens that hold the cap in place...

If you try to pry out the outer ring with out removing all those little grub screws, you will not be a very happy camper!!! Don't take them all the way out. They are hard to get back in if you do... Trust me on that one! About half way will do it. Good luck. It kind of sucks the first time you do it.

I use the stock filter. I keep meaning to use the NAPA filter, I just haven't done it yet. No reason other than I am already at the dealer picking up an oil filter and whatever else. It would be a special trip to get the fuel filter from NAPA. At $3.00 a gallon, I guess there isn't much savings in making a special trip any more...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks - this sounds like the solution. I had put a piece of wood in there to try to free it by rocking but I guess I need to try a little harder.

Mike

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ABSOLUTELY!

I just assumed he was referring to those smaller (2mm?) allens....

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hehe - nope - just have had other projects going on...having to build the kick pannels for my GTi to put our new speakers in for competitions.

keeping it pretty busy

·
Registered
248 Posts
JDuc said:
ABSOLUTELY!

I just assumed he was referring to those smaller (2mm?) allens....
Interesting you should mention those tiny allen screws. They were not obvious,but obviously necessary to remove first. Sure glad I didn't try too hard before checking that.

It sure would be nice to have a "real" manual, and not just a Haynes which does not cover ie models.

Now, how does that filler assembly go back in, I wonder? I've lubed it, but it looks like it might need some persuading. Maybe if I put the fuel tank out in the sun to expand...

Thanks for the advice!

Mike

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What I've found works is to tape a piece of wood, just large enough to cover the filler cap. get everything set up evently, and take the same hammer and tap on the wood as it lays across the filler, this will apply even pressure.

If you have one side go in first you won't be able to get it to sit even.

It's a royal PITA the first time you do it...

·
Registered
248 Posts
JDuc said:
What I've found works is to tape a piece of wood, just large enough to cover the filler cap. get everything set up evently, and take the same hammer and tap on the wood as it lays across the filler, this will apply even pressure.

If you have one side go in first you won't be able to get it to sit even.

It's a royal PITA the first time you do it...
That's an understatement - I think the "o" ring we have now must have expanded so after working on it for an hour, unsuccessfully, I just bought a new one.

Hopefully this will make it easier.

Mike

·
Registered
248 Posts
SS904 said:
dresda.

I just wanted to add that when you say you have the allens screws out, I hope you mean the very tiny grub screws around the parameter of the outer ring and not just the larger allens that hold the cap in place...
I didn't see them initially, but thanks a lot for mentioning the grub (set?) screws as they were the main reason the filler wouldn't come out. It still required quite a tug using a piece of wood for leverage, but it worked.

Mike

·
Registered
709 Posts
dresda said:
That's an understatement - I think the "o" ring we have now must have expanded so after working on it for an hour, unsuccessfully, I just bought a new one.

Hopefully this will make it easier.

Mike
contact w/fuel causes the green O-rings to expand. next time just set it aside for a while and it will come back to shape. then put a little grease on it and it will go right back in.

·
Registered
248 Posts
blade625CT said:
contact w/fuel causes the green O-rings to expand. next time just set it aside for a while and it will come back to shape. then put a little grease on it and it will go right back in.
Actually after fighting for another hour, I found that the thing which is keeping the cap from settling in place is not the "O" ring, it's the stepped rubber washer under the filler assembly.

Is this really necessary? When I take it off, the filler fits down properly, and the "O" ring goes into place. Once I put the stepped washer back, I can't get the filler down at all.

Any ideas?

Mike

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.