Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, is there any aural difference between the three available Termi exhausts?

I'm just kind of curious... price aside... is there any reason I haven't seen a titanium Termi on a 696/1100 yet?

-Curly

·
Registered
230 Posts
Here's my limited understanding of the 3 materials:

stainless - weighs the most of the 3, least expensive of the 3, most durable/will last the longest of the 3

titanium - weighs less than stainless, may not last as long as stainless. titanium is harder than steel, therefore is more brittle and more prone to cracking. the main benefit over stainless is its weight savings.

carbon - lightest of the 3, very strong, won't crack. however it can't tolerate heat. carbon fiber cannisters need to be repacked regularly because if the packing wears out, then more heat will be transferred to the outside of the cannisters. the heat will eventually damage the cabon fiber. the general rule is never to dyno a carbon fiber muffler because there is no airflow to cool it, and thus damaging your CF.

IMO carbon is mainly for aesthetics, and is the bling option. Titanium belongs on the track. Stainless is good for the street.

I don't think there is any difference in sound between the different materials, since sound depends on internal design/shape/structure, and packing.

If anyone can add to, or correct anything I've said, please do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts