Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 96 900SS CR and was considering getting a sport touring. I posted a question on the ST forum and from the comments I got now I think I should seriously consider a multistrada. Can you guys look at the thread and comment if a multistrada would be good for me?

I do like the height of multistrada (haven't tried one yet, just by looking at it) and it seems from the riding position that it will be nice for a curvy road. I need to understand how it will handle the winds on a highway and on the bridges here in the bay area which have very strong side winds.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=64599

THanks in advance!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
From a strictly winds perspective, the ST will handle winds the best, although the full fairing does catch quite a bit of crosswind. The multi really puts you up there into the wind whereas the ST protects you a little more. FYI, I had an ST4s which I consider an almost unbeatable sport tourer, but now have a MTS1100 and haven't looked back. For me, the multi is everything the ST had and more, but I'd definitely ride them both.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I just sold my 07 ST3s to buy a multistrada 1100s and don't regret it at all .
The st was a great bike possibly a better two up bike but thr multi is fun and a great tourer just did 3800k's in four days on it and it is possibly the bedt bike I have owned.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The Multi is by far the best "do it all" motorcycle I've ever owned. Genuinely a sport bike that can carry stuff, and a terrific tourer too. With the bags, DP taller windscreen, heated grips, handguards, gel seats and a full tank of gas the gf and I have had wonderful trips on it in perfect comfort. It's the one bike that will always remain in the stable, and my go-to mount for most outings, especially when the roads get gnarly. The worse the road, the better the Multistrada. Get it, ride it, love it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am almost convinced that I should consider a multi instead of an ST2/3/4. Can someone tell if the panniers in a 2003 multistrada fit a 15 in MacBook Pro with a bag or a similar computer with widescreen 15 in? The panniers look spacious but due to the shape I am not sure if it will fit.

Thanks!

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
whatever the Multistrada lovers just said. and get this: even the looks grow on you after a while. :eek:

the best all-around moto for me. :)

·
Registered
862 Posts
The more I ride my multi the more I love this bike will use it a lot more than i used the st 3 great bike for just getting arond town as well.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
just did a six state 3,300 mile trip on my multi. might think about a taller screen one of these days, but I survived just fine. done track days and dirt roads and every thing in between.

my powerbook fits fine with room to spare. however it only fits horizontaly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
whatever the Multistrada lovers just said. and get this: even the looks grow on you after a while. :eek:

the best all-around moto for me. :)
Yes, I guess it must be an acquired taste to some extent. I am not very used to bikes with single sided swing arm!

I test rode a 2003 1000DS today. Here are my comments but they might be for this specific bike, and I am comparing it to my 900SS, so please let me know if something is wrong.

(http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/1178032644.html)

(+)1. Being a 900SS rider, the riding position was very different (the handlebar too close to me), but since I have ridden "standard" bikes most of my life (except for Suzuki bandit 1200 for some time and then Ducati 900SS since last 2.5 years), I think I will like the riding position and also like it's maneuverability (especially in roads which are not perfect!) due to higher steering angle. It reminded me of the 1975 Yamaha DT400 (Enduro) I have (but don't ride since it doesnt run!). I think I will have much more confidence on the twisties with potholes and grooves I ride everyday.

(-) 2. I felt the clutch lever was too tight, especially for urban riding. Not a big deal though.

(-) 3. I felt the overall built was poorer than my supersport, vibration, the front windscreen etc shaking, etc.

(-) 4. The rear brake lever had too much travel, I hope this was just this bike. Braking was very unnatural since the front and rear brake levers had very different travels.

(-) 5. THere was a loud squeaking sound when I released the clutch from zero to first gear. Didn't feel like it was slipping but the noise was there no matter how I release the clutch. Also, there is another multistrada in the market here, and he has changed the clutch already and it is only 11K miles. (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/1179236865.html). Are these known to have clutch issues?

(+)6. I was going 2-up, and my wife said it was comfortable... and of course no pressure on my wrists while braking due to her weight coming on me as in the case of my 900SS.

(?) 7. I could not check the cross wind (I went upto 55 mph). But I had a feeling it won't be much better than my 900SS. It has a small screen, and I wonder how the taller touring screen would work against the wind (both head and cross).

Thanks!!

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
I traded in an ST3 for my Multi, and have never looked back. I loved the ST3, strong motor, excellent handling, classic looks. But the ergos were wrong for me. The reach to the bars was too far and too low for distance riding, even with cyclecat risers. The seat on the ST was probably one of the most comfortable stock seats I've ever had on a bike, but the riding position left me feeling like I'd been stretched out on a rack after a few hundred miles.

When folks ask me if I like my Multi, my standard response is, " Let's see, racebike chassis, comfortable upright ergos, Ohlins suspension, peppy 1100 air cooled L-twin engine. What's not to like?" Besides being probably the best do-it-all bike I've owned in recent memory, it is also by far the most fun!!!

STeve B in NC

·
Registered
654 Posts
Interesting thread.
Given that I ride a modded ST4s and could be biased.
I went as far as tesing an 1100 multi.
I have lower back issues (years of football).
I found the multi a bit upright where the STs position helps- weight on wrists and not lower back.
The multi feels way lighter.
There is lots of room. I'm 6'3" so thats a real plus.
More ground clearance and that gold suspension another big plus.
Made just for fun- just ride it like you stole it. Again great.
Engine between the 4s & SL900 I ride. Really practical.
Can't really comment too much about this because it was stock & my ST is kitted, difficult comparison.
I will say if you hav'nt tried a big bore 8valve, go do it.
If they put out a 1198 multi- sold to the big bloke.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've also been thinking about the multistrada over the ST. I now ride an ST2 and wondered what the main differences between the two models are. I have been reluctant to buy a mts mainly because of the looks. I am not a big fan of the front view, although the looks are growing on me a little. I'm not asking for much, just a bike that's comfortable for long hauls for one or two-up, handles like a sportbike, and is pretty to look at.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm thinking on gettig a Multi but don't like the high seat. Has anyone lowered thiers? does anyone make a lowering link? thanks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have had an MTS1000 and an ST4s for several years, also ran an ST2 over last winter.

Comfort - you need to try both and decide for yourself. Do not condemn the Multi after a few miles. It will feel weird if you're not used to sitting high. It will also feel vague after a sportier bike but that feeling will mostly subside.

Handling - ST wins. Up to 8/10ths the Multi holds its own, above that its not quite as secure as the ST range. Both will flick into corners equally well.

Performance - Multistrada is a bit quicker than the ST2. ST4s as you would expect is much much faster. Having said that my parents live 126 miles away on a mix of 70% sweeping A roads and 30% dual carriageways and I have posted my best ever time to get there on the MTS. Ridden in isolation you'll not feel the MTS is slow, but the 8V bikes get out of corners a lot quicker.

Round town - MTS wins because of the riding position

Long runs - each is equally capable, but for me the MTS wins over 250 miles, which basically comes down to comfort.

Natural habitat - ST fast sweeping A roads / MTS isgood on fast A roads but also very capable touring through the mountains going slow to admire the view.

If I could only have one - MTS as its so good at so many things

Most desirable - ST4s because its so awesome

1 - 16 of 16 Posts