Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I would post this since I know the topic has come up quite often. I have a 97 900ss/sp I’m in the midst of restoring and wanted to paint the frame. I know colorrite has the Ducati antique gold which matches (no first hand experience) but wanted to find something local. A finishmaster is local and while they have the camera for color matching, the frame does not have a large enough section to capture. They provided color swatches and after comparing the frame (had it with me in the store), I settled on the YM299 code from Cromax Spectramaster. A pint ready to spray was $60. I wanted to keep the satin sheen that’s on the frame and not go glossy. For ease of spraying the frame, the finishmaster had the spraymax 2k clear in satin.

Below are the results after spraying the frame with the base coat and topped with the satin clear. Overall, I am beyond pleased with the results and color is almost spot on to the factory gold.

Hope this will help anyone going through the same process.

Jared

Attachments

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I was wondering if a match could be found.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I did the same sort of thing. I didn't want to keep the bronze look so much as I wanted to replicate the "frost gold" of the 1998 Monster frames. I used a dupli-color brand wheel paint that's available from any of the major auto parts stores. I finished with a matte clear coat from the same line of dupli-color paint.

1998 Monster with the gold frame below:

My 1993 SS frame in gold:

This is a shot of the same frame but with more ambient light, instead of the flash...also with the high mount exhaust brackets in place:

.....sean

1 - 3 of 3 Posts