Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

SS race bike?

10K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Rainman 
#1 ·
What mods would need to be done to make a 750 a racer? Or would it be better and more cost efficient just to buy a different bike?

#3 ·
superduc21 said:
What mods would need to be done to make a 750 a racer? Or would it be better and more cost efficient just to buy a different bike?
In CCS it will be competetive in Ultra Lightweight Superbike. You can take it out to 795cc and still be legal [805cc max limit]

And if you are a skilled rider you can do well in Lightweight Superbike too.

#4 ·
What are org you going to be racing WERA, CCS being in Florida? I raced a `93 750SS back in `99 up to 2001 in Lightweight Twins, and later clubman. I hear the new models are much better handling wise, on mine the geometry is slow, but stable. I still have my `93 and was thinking about racing it again or getting a new model, it's a fun bike.

I can't say racing a Ducati is ever cost efficient compared to say an SV650. Mine 750 engine was rock solid, never a problem, one DNF in all the racing, a broken throttle cable.
Mods, I kept it simple, slip-on exhaust, lightweight flywheel, reworked forks, and a Penske shock, other the typical parts to get a bike race ready, rearsets, clip-ons, steering damper, and bodywork...

#5 ·
You'll need race body work, and the full gammit of saftey-wiring. The race-bodywork has to have a built-in "oil-pan" so to speak, that can hold 1 liter of fluid or so. This is in case your case blows, to prevent as much oil as possible from going on the track.

Here is my SS all raced-out.

#9 ·
thanks for the pics! Has anyone done a piston and cylinder kit?? I'm looking at the ones by FBF but was wanting to know what kind of hp and torque gains to expect. Their website doesnt offer that much info. All it says is it will bring it to a 785. And for $1000 is it worth it or is there something cheaper out there?? Thanks

What are org you going to be racing WERA, CCS being in Florida?

WERA

#10 ·
You might want to contact BCM for their 795 kit. It has Pistal pistons, which are your better choice. 13:1 compression.

Check the rules to which class you want to be in so you can figure if you can change the heads to 800cc heads(they're stock heads technically speaking, winkwink). If so, you have a better start for more power.

Pardon my ADD, but back to the BB kit. Just with the BB kit, you won't see any major gains, however in conjunction with certain other mods: (ported heads/inlets, bigger exhaust, either 900ssie cams or ST2 cams, you get the picture.)

As far as HP, I've seen 750ss' running in the mid to high 80's. Mine was about 80hp with 900ss (carb) cams. The 900 IE or ST2 have more duration than the carb cams, so more top end HP without sacrificing bottom end. VEETWO has a set of race cams that have more lift than even the 900 cams, if you don't mind spending the dosh.

You can possibly get mid to high 90's HP if you are able to use the 800cc heads. Problem is no race cams for the 800cc heads yet. I would guess with the right cams in the 800cc heads you "MIGHT" break the 100hp barrier.

Reason for my rant on the 800cc heads is their ability to flow, even better than the 900cc heads.

Don't for get several other mods you should probably do first:
(Unless you already have, not necessarily in this order)
Lightweight wheels
upgraded suspension
lightened flywheel
regear the beast
put her on a diet
Take lessons and do track days

Good Luck

Brian C.

#11 ·
1fast750ss said:
put her on a diet

her or me??!!!

I have looked at flywheels and am definitely getting a set of skinz. already regeared. Track days are starting soon and then either Bargy or RPM school. I graduate from college this summer so I can start riding heavier then. Just trying to get it all put together before then.

Anyone need some fairings???

#14 ·
superduc21 said:
Does anybody know if you can buy just the connector pipe for high mounts?? If not they dont look to hard to make with some measurements. Thanks

Oh and I am serious about bodywork :D
I have a set of "two brothers" pipes [high mount connectors only]
I'll take a pic if you are interested

Btw: Bill, your bike looks Great!

#17 ·
I buy my foam seat pads from sharkskinz. they have both 3/4 and 1/2" thickness.
It comes as a big square, and you cut it to suit your needs.

It works well, sticks good, generally lasts a season or two [depending on how you move around on the bike]

#18 ·
I use foam, get it from Lockhart Phillips. The trick to making it look nice is to cut it oversized, then with a some coarse (60-80 grit) sanders smooth and radius the edges. The belt sander speeds the process along.

For high connector pipes I had a muffler shop that did custom stainless steel exhaust system make up a pair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.