Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
900 SS ('97 & '99)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sealed the interior of my tank(s) with an aftermarket sealer (i think it was PORS)
BUT
while coating the entire interior (read that top of the tank), the raised 'bump' that is the tank vent, was also inadvertently coated with the sealant.
QUESTION:
Does anyone know what the configuration of the inside of the vent chamber (the raised 'bump) is?
The gas cap can function as a vent, but I'd like to get the original venting system to work again.
thanks
TS

·
Registered
3,907 Posts

In the later part of that thread is a discussion on how to make sure the cap venting is working too. I think the raised bump area in the tank is hollow and the pipe inlet is just that, no additional pipe inside.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
the boss at the dealership i worked at creamed a tank once, and he blocked the breather. i think he was told to get mek - methyl ethyl keytone - and syringe it in and let soak to clear the tube. just don't get it near anything else, or too much of it in the tank.

·
Registered
900 SS ('97 & '99)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!
I have a feeling that the interior of the 'bump' is somehow baffled, (with some sort of compartments).
Has anyone ever taken a wrecked tank and opened up the 'bump'?
I'm going to try the MEK trick, will report back.
TS

·
Registered
505 Posts
Or...

Did the sealer come out of the vent tube? If so, I wonder if you can 'gently' drill through it first. I did something similar before with a custom-made fuel tank, but I knew exactly what was under the vent then.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
i would think if it made it out the vent tube then all the baffling in there is full of it too. i'd put something inside the tank to stop any mek that does get through the baffling, eventually it'll have to.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
you should be able to use MEK or Acetone both should be fine -& as Belter says I would put something inside the tank to catch & absorb any drips in there

·
Registered
900 SS ('97 & '99)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good Point!
with the cap collar off, i can easily reach inside to position a rag in the correct spot.
i have 2 tanks that both were sealed and both have the same venting issue.

·
Registered
900 SS ('97 & '99)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if anyone knows of a dented total loss tank, i'd be willing to buy one to cut it up to see whats inside.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have a video camera that is on the end of a flexible tube for this sort of issue. I used mine to inspect the engine combustion chambers and the inside of the fuel tank. Perhaps you can borrow one, or you might find a cheap one at Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
The hump is indeed baffled but it isn’t anything complex. Just chambered so fuel doesn’t slosh up and out the vent.

I had a picture of the one on my 900SS tank taken from inside. Nothing like a bore scope or anything....just stuck my hand in with my iPhone and took pictures.

It’s a cinch with the cap and carrier ring out.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Yep, it's just a plate to bounce back the slosh, won't slow the fuel pouring out if its upside down. I have an endoscope.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
A mate had the same issue and with the fuel cap assembly removed he used a piece of welding wire with a bend and a sharpened end to pierce the coating, he could feel two dimples and IIRC they're in the middle of the vent one behind the other. That did the trick for him.
Don't be tempted to use compressed air..... it will split the seam around the vent ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts