Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know several of you will know this - what is the diameter of the forks on a 1995 900SS/SP? I thought they were 41mm?? I know my 99 has 43's. I have a chance to pick up a used steering dampener for a fair price, he's telling me his 95 SP had 43's. I think he's being honest, just not sure that is right. Anyone tried to install a dampener from an early SS on a 99+ SS?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I thought the forks were 50 top and 54 bottom... The superbike forks are 53 top and bottom...

I just recently did a fork swap on my bike to suit the 999 forks and had to shim the bottom and machine up the top triple clamps.

Hope that helps. I dont know where you are taking that measurement from.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
fork legs not "uppers"

I think the 41 vs 43 mm is for the lower leg part which is NOT where you bolt a Damper...Top dimension should be the same... my 95 CR measures 50mm on the upper part at the top triple clamp..

DUCS RULE …Rice grinders drool..

09 Ducati GT1000 Black and Gold; 14/39 with Ohlins F&R, Termis & Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR Red; 15/40 my new project…
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

·
Registered
58 Posts
Correct. You're probably going to want to mount the clamp near the lower triple clamp, so you'll want a 54mm clamp. Or, you can drill the lower triple and mount the damper that way.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I understand about the tube diameters and where to mount the thing. I just normally see forks on these bikes referred to as 43, I've never bothered to measure each section to see what the diameters are.

Mark - glad to see you on here, I've been meaning to order one of your shirts.

·
Registered
742 Posts
fork diameter

Apparently, when one says "41" or "43", they are referring to the lower fork tube that slides into the body, which is held by the triple clamps. Upside-down forks, you know.

That any more clear?

Fred

1 - 7 of 7 Posts