Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have otained an alloy swing arm to replace my steel one. I have brought new adjuster blocks for it.
My question is this, do I need to buy a new axle or can I use the one off my steel swing arm as they are both 17mm dia. but not too sure on the length?
Also, can someone put a close up picture of the adjusting bolt for the adjuster block as I'm not too sure what else I need as far as parts go.
Cheers for any help on this matter, :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi everyone, I have otained an alloy swing arm to replace my steel one. I have brought new adjuster blocks for it.
My question is this, do I need to buy a new axle or can I use the one off my steel swing arm as they are both 17mm dia. but not too sure on the length?
Also, can someone put a close up picture of the adjusting bolt for the adjuster block as I'm not too sure what else I need as far as parts go.
Cheers for any help on this matter, :D
hi,what year is it?for sure the 98 onwards stuff is all the same,the adjuster block bolts are just 8mm x about 100mm long with a lock nut
i assume you dont want to remove the stell s/a before you know what you need?,the axle is hollow so measure the width internally and compare it to whats needed on the alloy s/a
cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah yes.... The swing arm is off a 95 SS.

From what I can see off the workshop manual the adjuster block just rests against a M8 bolt with a lock nut?

The adjuster block on the steel swing arm moves on a threaded bolt, connected to the bolt so is held in posistion.

I'm just wanting to make sure I have all the parts I need as I'm a freak like that, haha.

Cheers for your reply redbike

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes, the axles are different in length. You want one to match the aluminum swingarm.
Swingarm pivot axle is the same. Re shim the clearance to your motor, and take the opportunity to grease your bearings in the motor. You may want to replace those seals while you are there. They're cheap.

A tip on the adjuster bolts. Get some stainless ones if you can. the bolt going into the swingarm will see moisture, especially if you have one of the hugger bolts missing. Your aduster bolts will rust up and bugger up the threads in the swingarm. Also put some anti-sieze on the bolts so that they don't gall. Old race bikes had copper coated fasteners so that the bolts didn't gall in the aluminum threaded holes.

Cheers,

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that Phil, will orgainise the axle,seals & stainless bolts. I'm picking I'll be able to re-use most of the old shims then make my own shims out of shim stock for finer clearance adjustment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts