Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all... any one else had problems with a fried lcd dash? I found the above service bulletin about a spike filter (not a recall though) and I am wondering if this has been a free dealer mod for anyone or have people done this themselves? I have a 2013 hypermotard sp.

I know I need to have a screen replacement due to what I believe has been a power surge causing my lcd to have a blank display. Others have mentioned to replace the HT leads also as these have been uppreved using the same part number etc..

Struggling to find fact from fiction at the moment, if the above service bulletin is to be believed then Ducati should have advised me for a free spike protector which in turn might have save my screen from frying if it was fitted or I was aware of such a potential issue.

Does this sound familiar to anyone

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yes. It is a known issue and is talked about among all of the forums. Hyperstrada froum addresses it completely and a few members found the power surge to be coming from the sparkplug coils. The dealer installs a can bus filter to prevent the damage as a recall but that filter only protects the display. The next piece to be fried is the ecu. There is a known coil swap that prevents this issue in the future(using aprilia superbike coils). The dash issue is referred to as "Christmas tree lights" when doing your searching. Check it out. I have not heard of the dealer recalling or replacing the ecu and/or display once outside of warranty. If your dash is doing this and you are outside of warranty I believe you are on your own and it is a very expensive fix. If your dash/ecu is fine and you havnt had the recall completed I suggest you do that sooner than later. I had the recall can bus filter installed and did the coil swap on my 2013 821.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks.. the screen lcd is just blank sadly, no Xmas tree lights etc. I have had all recalls done and checked by Vin number etc, but when I researched the bulletin there seems to be a filter placed on the loom at the back of the dash connector where pin 6,10 and 11 are bypassed through a filter. I had my front fairing off today and didn’t see such a device fitted which made me think that maybe this was not a recall but instead a recommendation only?

I took my bike 350 miles to the nearest dealer today.. they took the negative off the battery and removed the connector from the dash (let it discharge) reconnected it after 10 mins and the screen came back.. we all though the issue was fixed and Ioaded the Bike back for the trip home and when I tried to start the bike at home the LCD was dead once more... total waste of a days transit, fuel and service costs..

·
Registered
474 Posts
When they added that filter to mine it is a small rectangle black piece that ties into the wire look/connector at the back of the display. Over on the strada forum one of the guys reported of finding a wire in the loom that was broken through. Things would work when the bars turned one way and not the other(or something like that). If I remember correctly it was at the ziptie at the last point that the loom is on the frame.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s where the bulletin placed it.. but nothing is there on my bike hence the wondering if it’s a recall or it’s an advisory etc. I.e. a dealer has to perform a recall when they next see the bike where as the advisory is only fitted on instruction from the owner.

i didn’t see one fitted on my bike when I had it apart today and my dash has failed so I would say I havent had it performed at all. My recalls have all been done and confirmed so I presume in the UK it’s not a recall and only an advisory.

unless any one else has experience of this as a recall? You are USA right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You don’t happen to have a link to the discussion about this on the hyper forum do you? Would love to understand more about this but all avenues I look into are pretty quiet.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Here is the coil install.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts