Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've read about this happening- I am getting a little warmer a little quicker than usual. I look up and something spit all over the left mirror.

I figured it was a coolant issue I had heard about. Then again yesterday, it spit on the mirror, the left controls and my hand and dribbled on the air intake.

Is this leaking from the cap?

I recently had to pull the tank and airbox. I paid attention not to pinch the hose that seems to come from a pressure release valved on the right side and then checked it and completely pulled it out of the way.

What gives?

·
Registered
134 Posts
could be the cap, a split hose or the reservoir has cracked and under pressure is shooting the coolant out.

or:

it could be one of those heated mirror washers you only see on the really expensive bikes...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like a cracked expansion tank. Buy 2 of them - 1 to replace the failed unit and one for a spare. This is one of the "quirks" of this series bike...

Make sure to flush your cooling system to ensure there is no sludge plugging any lines, check the overflow bottle outlet "u" tube to make sure it is not pinched off. (Mine was pinched between my throttle body and frame and I had sludge in the cooling system.)

There seems to be different answers to this issue and there are a million threads on the subject... just do a search if you want to know more.

I know I've read about this happening- I am getting a little warmer a little quicker than usual. I look up and something spit all over the left mirror.

I figured it was a coolant issue I had heard about. Then again yesterday, it spit on the mirror, the left controls and my hand and dribbled on the air intake.

Is this leaking from the cap?

I recently had to pull the tank and airbox. I paid attention not to pinch the hose that seems to come from a pressure release valved on the right side and then checked it and completely pulled it out of the way.

What gives?

·
Registered
134 Posts
when/if you replace the reservoir bottle, there is a thread in here on how to modify the bottle to help keep it from cracking again. I think you just need to shave a bit off the spacers to allow more room for expansion (I have yet to replace the reservoir on my 996, knock on wood).

good luck.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure what to search for to find THAT thread I was talking about but I did find it. Yeah, I got a crack now. I wonder why it decided to do this right after I traced the not running problem to the popped fuel line on the fuel pump and got it all back together.

I did make sure that hose is free and not pinched.

Tye- you looking to trade your 848 for a 748S eh?

I'm thinking 749R or even S in black or red with white number plates front and rear. That would do me just fine.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Tye- you looking to trade your 848 for a 748S eh?
LOL :D

Tell ya one thing, my desmoquattro was all great until I had a bad battery and I stripped it down to the motor, just to figure out it was a bad battery. :(

Your current issue is pretty easy to resolve. If you can pull the tank, just plug the holes, fill it up with water and shake it around. If water leaks out somewhere, ya got a problem. Its a very common failure point with stock bikes that tend to over-heat a tiny bit. The solution is to get a different fan thermostat, which turns the cooling fan on earlier and keeps the bike running at a cooler temperature, thus the tank's expansion is kept to a minimal. I also suggest running the bike on the rich side, slightly more fuel in the system will keep it running cooler over-all. ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
29 Posts
A cheap & easy mod I did was buy the metal hi-flow cooling fan wheel from Moto. I am now running 5-10 deg. cooler in all running conditions. (Mostly 10 deg.)

The part is under $40.00 and you have to use red loctite to secure the mounting nut. (It can be a pain to make sure you don't have any clearance issues, but all I did was bend the individual blades a bit and make sure they were all the same pitch and have had no issues.)

Some people also use Engine Ice coolant, but I have not found that I need to do this. If I lived down in Az. maybe I would.

(If you do the fan blade it would be a good time to make the switch to Samco silicone hoses, especially if you still have the OEM hoses. This will give you enhanced reliability and they look awesome as well.)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I changed the Coolant in June and even used water wetter. Oh well...

If there's a chance something might break, give it to me and it WILL break.

So, if you ever want to buy a bike, let me test drive it. It WILL FAIL for me LOL :(

·
Registered
277 Posts
I changed the Coolant in June and even used water wetter. Oh well...

If there's a chance something might break, give it to me and it WILL break.

So, if you ever want to buy a bike, let me test drive it. It WILL FAIL for me LOL :(
u my brother from a different mother ... same thing happens with me ...

:)

Migrane

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mine does this on really hot days if I get stuck in traffic. I replaced my expansion tank. Same damn thing. I don't have an overflow bottle anymore. The expansion tank is just a piss poor design. I have an idea how to seal the seam from the inside...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Has anyone ever tried to weld them with a plastic welder and poly rod? I used to do poly welding in chemical acid tanks in the semiconductor industry so I know it can be done. (You just have to have a compatible plastic for the rod.)

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,396 Posts
Has anyone ever tried to weld them with a plastic welder and poly rod? I used to do poly welding in chemical acid tanks in the semiconductor industry so I know it can be done. (You just have to have a compatible plastic for the rod.)
Sort of, we got caught out on a two week road trip when my 998S did it to me, so some testastretta's aren't exempt either.;)

I requested a butane torch from the restaurant kitchen (at the resort we were staying at), unfortunately whilst they had a torch, no butane and the restaurant manager told me he hated Ducati's anyway:rolleyes:

My initial thought was that we could heat the tank and melt the crack back together again. That plan foiled I approached the resort manager who was more forthcoming, so after we located the crack, which we did by blocking off the radiator with towels and running the bike up to temperature and observing the coolant coming out, we cleaned up the crack as best we could and then my husband used the borrowed soldering iron, melted some cable tie plastic into the crack and then sealed it off with hot gue from a borrowed hot glue gun. It was the best running repair we could make. We repaid the resort manager with a six pack of nice cold beer and I repaid the restaurant manager with a lecture on who was paying his salary. We didn't eat there.:p

It held for the very hot ride of 100 odd kms into the city which was an overnight stop, through all the traffic lights until we got to the dealer and no coolant seemed to get past the repair, where we bought a new expansion tank and fitted it. We weren't prepared to trust it beyond that. I still have the cracked tank, god knows why?

·
Registered
29 Posts
That is a kick ass! You do what you gotta do to get running!

I would love to find an old corse metal expansion tank... unfortunately they are about as easy to find as Jimmy Hoffa.

(If I could just find plans for one I would have one made...)

Sort of, we got caught out on a two week road trip when my 998S did it to me, so some testastretta's aren't exempt either.;)

I requested a butane torch from the restaurant kitchen (at the resort we were staying at), unfortunately whilst they had a torch, no butane and the restaurant manager told me he hated Ducati's anyway:rolleyes:

My initial thought was that we could heat the tank and melt the crack back together again. That plan foiled I approached the resort manager who was more forthcoming, so after we located the crack, which we did by blocking off the radiator with towels and running the bike up to temperature and observing the coolant coming out, we cleaned up the crack as best we could and then my husband used the borrowed soldering iron, melted some cable tie plastic into the crack and then sealed it off with hot gue from a borrowed hot glue gun. It was the best running repair we could make. We repaid the resort manager with a six pack of nice cold beer and I repaid the restaurant manager with a lecture on who was paying his salary. We didn't eat there.:p

It held for the very hot ride of 100 odd kms into the city which was an overnight stop, through all the traffic lights until we got to the dealer and no coolant seemed to get past the repair, where we bought a new expansion tank and fitted it. We weren't prepared to trust it beyond that. I still have the cracked tank, god knows why?

·
Registered
759 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
The single metal corse expansion tank that I saw was squarish and mounted in front of the triple clamp.

If anyone has a photo of one of these, I could estimate the size and do a drawing. I am very tempted to have one of these made since there are a lot of small industrial fabrication shops nearby where I live.

Is that yellowd's next new part he's quizzing us on this week?

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showpost.php?p=687085&postcount=958

1 - 16 of 16 Posts