Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hoping that someday, I'll have put enough miles on the Hyper that the brakes will stop squeeking like a freakin' wagon wheel. I love everything about this bike, but both my front and rear brakes just squeek ALL the time! Solutions? I'm going to try brake cleaner and hope for the best, but I suspect there is something else going one here.

·
Registered
143 Posts
yea........... you have brembo's on there. i dont know much about the pads that they use from the factory but im assuming it is some sort of race compound. Any and all race comp pads i have used on my STI squeak like crazy. Doesnt mean that they are going bad or that they are brakes from a 92 honda. they are just doing their job and doing it well.

There may be some solution but may downgrade your braking performance.

-Jeremy

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be a bummer. This is my first bike with race quality brakes. All my other bikes just had generic factory brands. If what you're saying is true, I'll just deal with the squeek. I love how the bike stops!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
crank ... difficult to diagnose this via the intraweb thingy ... but, here's a go:

• remove the pads
  • sand the pads using 80 grit taped down to a very flat surface (like a granite block or smooth concrete floor)
  • clean the rotors using break cleaner (if the rotors are really bad, remove them and scour with a scotchbrite pad to remove the glaze on the surface)
  • before replacing the now freshly sanded pads, figure out which edge will be the leading edge of each pad, and using a flat file, chamfer the edges by about 1/8 inch @ 45 degrees or so
  • grab a spray can of anti-squeal and spray the back sides of the pads ... or conversely, you can use a moly based brake grease
  • use break cleaner to clean up the calipers
  • re-install the pads
  • if you REALLY want to do it all, remove the caliper bolts, clean them off, apply moly grease or anti-seize, re-torque to proper spec. note: when tightening the caliper bolts on the front brakes, before you tighten them, apply the front brake and hold it tight when torquing the bolts. this will help center the caliper/pads.
  • use the brakes cautiously until the re-seat (pad surface to rotor surface)

if you have any difficulty doing the above, as you live in orinda, your welcome to ride down to cupertino and we can do the work @ my place ... i have all the required tools ... you just need to bring the brake cleaner and anti-squeal spray.

PM me here if you want to arrange a time to do this.

·
Registered
545 Posts
That would be a bummer. This is my first bike with race quality brakes. All my other bikes just had generic factory brands. If what you're saying is true, I'll just deal with the squeek. I love how the bike stops!
It's not typical of these brakes and you should be able to solve it. I've had Brembos on multiple bikes with no sqealing and my Hyper's brakes don't make any noise at all.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
They are NOT race pads, just normal street pads.

I use race pads on my bikes with cast iron disks (fronts, ie. both my Guzzis, ST2, and SS). The only ones that squeal are the OEM rears.

Tom

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
crank ... difficult to diagnose this via the intraweb thingy ... but, here's a go:

• remove the pads
  • sand the pads using 80 grit taped down to a very flat surface (like a granite block or smooth concrete floor)
  • clean the rotors using break cleaner (if the rotors are really bad, remove them and scour with a scotchbrite pad to remove the glaze on the surface)
  • before replacing the now freshly sanded pads, figure out which edge will be the leading edge of each pad, and using a flat file, chamfer the edges by about 1/8 inch @ 45 degrees or so
  • grab a spray can of anti-squeal and spray the back sides of the pads ... or conversely, you can use a moly based brake grease
  • use break cleaner to clean up the calipers
  • re-install the pads
  • if you REALLY want to do it all, remove the caliper bolts, clean them off, apply moly grease or anti-seize, re-torque to proper spec. note: when tightening the caliper bolts on the front brakes, before you tighten them, apply the front brake and hold it tight when torquing the bolts. this will help center the caliper/pads.
  • use the brakes cautiously until the re-seat (pad surface to rotor surface)

if you have any difficulty doing the above, as you live in orinda, your welcome to ride down to cupertino and we can do the work @ my place ... i have all the required tools ... you just need to bring the brake cleaner and anti-squeal spray.

PM me here if you want to arrange a time to do this.
Hey, thanks for the offer! I'm pretty good with a wrench, so I'll take a stab at it. I'll let you know if something goes awry though. :D

And thanks for the very thorough list. Looks like my Saturday won't be as lazy as I thought. :think:

·
Registered
3,070 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I keep hearing about this thing. I'll have to make it down at some point. I've got Monday off, so maybe that's a sign. :abduct:

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Yeah, I keep hearing about this thing. I'll have to make it down at some point. I've got Monday off, so maybe that's a sign. :abduct:
do it!!! should be a good selection of hypertards in attendance. i know i will be on mine, as the cam covers for my mh900e are still needing new bearings after the polishing job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts