Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever have a squeaky chain before?

On my 1100 EVO it seems my stock chain gets really squeaky (like makes a chirping sound) while accelerating in lower gears if I don't lube it every 100-150 miles or so. As soon as the lube wears off the roller exterior surfaces, the squeaking sound from the front sprocket comes back and is very annoying. Every 100 miles is just too often.

Is this characteristic of factory chains? Anyone else notice this? Would an RK be better?

FYI, I have a supersprox 14T front sprocket, and use PJ1 blue label lube. Maybe the sprocket or lube is more the culprit than the chain?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I found the chain on my 09 696 would dry out much faster then my Triumph would. Not sure why. Both chains are cleaned with WD40, wiped clean, then covered in a chain lube and let to sit over night. I usually wash them at night so I can let them dry/soak in over night for the next days use. I daily ride mine and the gf rides hers 2-3 times a week. Her's is always dry a week or two later when mine is still fine. Not sure at all why.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
How does your chain look? are the rolls blinking like they've just been polished or more of a matte grey/black?

The latter is good, the first isn't.

Any hard spots in the chain?

This is bad:

See how those links are "stuck" ?

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Anyone ever have a squeaky chain before?

On my 1100 EVO it seems my stock chain gets really squeaky (like makes a chirping sound) while accelerating in lower gears if I don't lube it every 100-150 miles or so. As soon as the lube wears off the roller exterior surfaces, the squeaking sound from the front sprocket comes back and is very annoying. Every 100 miles is just too often.

Is this characteristic of factory chains? Anyone else notice this? Would an RK be better?

FYI, I have a supersprox 14T front sprocket, and use PJ1 blue label lube. Maybe the sprocket or lube is more the culprit than the chain?
I am having the same (or a very similar) issue with my 796. The lube seems to 'wear off' very quickly and the chain starts to 'chirp' or rattle. It happened both before and after switching to a 14T sprocket, and the chain tension is fine. Despite still appearing well lubed it will start making the noise in short order. I am going to keep a close eye on how many miles I can go before the noise starts, but it sure seems like less than it should.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my chain is a factory stock chain with about 4000 miles on it. The Supersprox sprocket has about 1000 miles on it now.
I though the PJ1 Blue label was supposed to be good stuff?? Any better suggestions?

Yes, my chain does rub on the chain guide (probably a bit more than normal with the smaller front sprocket, but I don't think this is where the sound is comming from and doubt it's an issue.

So what do these chain guards supposed to protect against? Damage due to chain breakage or damage due to chain slipping off the sprocket?

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
my chain is a factory stock chain with about 4000 miles on it. The Supersprox sprocket has about 1000 miles on it now.
I though the PJ1 Blue label was supposed to be good stuff?? Any better suggestions?
I used the famous DuPont stuff which seemed to wear off very quickly, so I am trying Maxima Chain Wax which I have used on other bikes; it's definitely thicker than the DuPont lube. Then again, the dealer seemed to drown the chain in whatever thick, dark stuff they use, and it didn't last very long. Less than 1000kms later (regular riding, no rain, no off-roading ;)) the chain was noisy, and there was still lube flinging about. I applied the Maxima Chain Wax, and it quieted right back down.

So what do these chain guards supposed to protect against? Damage due to chain breakage or damage due to chain slipping off the sprocket?
The case savers are meant to protect against the chain breaking and piercing the engine case in front of the sprocket. I plan to pick one up; the chain noise has me paranoid.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Did you check the chain tension in several places by rotating the wheel?
It won't have the same deflection throughout it's movement.
It could have a tight place. If so, that is where you need to adjust the chain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts