Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to flaking rockers I need to replace the vertical exhaust cam. Could I put SPS cams into a relatively stock motor, ie 45mm pipes, standard valves etc. I am planning on upgrading pipe size and doing bigger valves along with the SPS cams eventually, but seeings how I need a new cam anyways, could I just get the hot cams now without the rest. Pros and cons of doing this, what would my engine be like as a result?
Pistal hi comps, single injector,cam timing, and flywheel are the other relevant engine mods already done.
Conversely, any tips on where to find an inexpensive, stock vertical exhaust cam?

·
Registered
797 Posts
SPS cams

Are you going to put them in a 996? if so and you can find a good set get 'em!

I've used them in a 748/890 std. valves, ran great. I have a set in my big valve 996sps also. They are as radical as you may want on the street, easy on valve guides, sweet cams!!

But you may need to have a custom map cut to make them run the best. But I've always had maps cut for all my bikes...........

Cheers,
M

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you going to put them in a 996? if so and you can find a good set get 'em!

I've used them in a 748/890 std. valves, ran great. I have a set in my big valve 996sps also. They are as radical as you may want on the street, easy on valve guides, sweet cams!!

But you may need to have a custom map cut to make them run the best. But I've always had maps cut for all my bikes...........

Cheers,
M
Oh yeah, forgot that most important piece of info. Yes, this is all in regards to a 996.
Thx for your imput mbevans

·
Registered
797 Posts
If you can find real SPS Cams and you do not mind a slightly rougher idle, you will have a new map burned, and the best power a set of cams can give without reducing valve guide wear, then do it!

Stock piston-valve clearance should be fine.

"G" cams while more power do reduce valve and guide life........

This same information is documented in many places.

Not sure what other information you want?

Cheers,
m

·
Registered
797 Posts
Rwhp ???

Optomistic number for stock valves, exhaust, compression, but they still are the best cams for the older long stroke motors...........

Ps. As I have participated in many online disscussions here about hotrod 996's "real" RWHP numbers, but what the heck, the main thing is they are the best cams out there for the street/track.
Dyno numbers in this world are as wide as many artists paint brush's...smile.

Cheers,
m

If you can find them, get them...definitely great cams...little head work, boom, 130+whp...
BTW - Check out Speedzilla...lots of good info there with Steedman, Tomtom, etc...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you can find real SPS Cams and you do not mind a slightly rougher idle, you will have a new map burned, and the best power a set of cams can give without reducing valve guide wear, then do it!

Stock piston-valve clearance should be fine.

"G" cams while more power do reduce valve and guide life........

This same information is documented in many places.

Not sure what other information you want?

Cheers,
m

I do appreciate your guys imput. mbevans I'm really under the gun time wise and while I know there's a fair bit of info out there, some of which I've read in the past and not neccesarily saved the links to, I didn't really have time right now to do research. Was hoping for a helping hand from the community, which the two of you have given and is much appreciated. Cheers and thanks

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it'll make some more power and feel more aggressive from the midrange up. idle, etc, should be unchanged. great cams, should have been the std cams. some stuff on my site - www.bikeboy.org

Thx Brad, I was wondering where those moto-one pages had gone, my saved link no longer worked. Very informative stuff contained therein

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the 996SPS cams in my 2001 916cc Monster S4. With a DP ECU, full Termi exhaust and open airbox it made 110HP at the back wheel on a Dynojet Dyno. The bike pulled strong from any RPM and never quit breathing to the fuel cut. Also had a very linear power delivery. I had a few lean spots but I sold the bike before I ever bought a power commander for it.

Before the Monster I had a 1999 ST4 with the same 916cc mill but was bone stock. Comparing the two from memory I don't think that the SPS cams lost power anywhere.

Since your bike is a 996 I don't know how useful any of this information is as the cams may have helped my 916 breathe better than a 996 but I don't think you will be disappointed if you find a set to put in. I'd also have the cams degreed if you are going to replace them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts