Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Depends on what you want to achieve by changing them.

I’ve changed the front sprocket to a smaller 14t on every ducati I’ve owned, on my sc this was done before I had even ridden it, I’ve found this makes them more responsive at low to mid speed, accelerate more smoothly and easier to cope in traffic and around town.
If your replacing the whole set up it’s more mechanically sympathetic to have the bigger rear sprocket but obviously more expensive, fronts are under twenty pounds.

Sure you might lose a little theoretical top speed but on uk roads at least I find this reasoning a bit spurious, if you use it as a track bike you may be keener on top speed, on a road bike I think it irrelevant.

Reactions: Air_Cooled_Nut

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
If you dod a search in the Sport classic section
You will get pages and pages and years and years of info

The top three
14/39 Least expensive if using the stock 525 pitch
14/41 Great for Twisties and fast off the line
15/42 (Same ratio as the 14/39) Great all around gearing
I'd convert to 520 chain pitch where possible.
After 12 years with these bikes, the above is the most common and popular

This page will help and you can see what is what
Gearing Commander ⚙

I have the 520 14/41 on my Paul Smart
And the 15/42 on my GT

Recent sprocket is the steel sprocket

·
Registered
65 Posts
+1 to JC's post. I run 15/42 on my Sport 1000, and 14/41 on my PaulSmart. Love both.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
JC gives good advice; on February 4, 2010, JC wrote in a personal e-mail:
JC said:
I believe you will be happy with the 15/42
And was he right ..... :grin2:
Also opted for 520 chain pitch

·
Registered
35 Posts
I keep putting this off. My chain/sprocket are in good condition. Is it worth the investment to just change it now or should I wait until my current onces need to be replaced?

Also, regarding that gearing chart, if the ratio is above 3, does that mean higher top speed and lower acceleration, and lower than 3 is lower top speed but better acceleration or do I have that mixed up?

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Play around with this
Gearing Commander ⚙

It will answer all your questions

I keep putting this off. My chain/sprocket are in good condition. Is it worth the investment to just change it now or should I wait until my current onces need to be replaced?

Also, regarding that gearing chart, if the ratio is above 3, does that mean higher top speed and lower acceleration, and lower than 3 is lower top speed but better acceleration or do I have that mixed up?

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
More about looks then replacing a drive system
Good time to do it?
When changing the rear tire so the cost is offset a little
Good time to do the rear brake conversion while the wheel is off
Demon tech

Discacciati

1 - 11 of 11 Posts